Thread: Brumbies to play two pre-season matches in 2010

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Brumbies to play two pre-season matches in 2010

The CA Brumbies will play two pre-season matches in the lead-up to the 2010 Investec Super 14 season.

The ACT-based side’s pre-season schedule will feature matches against the Hurricanes in Wellington on Friday, 29 January before returning to Canberra to front the Waratahs at Viking Park on Thursday, 4 February.

The match against the Waratahs is also expected to signal the return of the ACT’s Wallaby contingent as well as being Canberra’s first opportunity to see new recruits Matt Giteau, Rocky Elsom and Josh Valentine in CA Brumbies’ colours for the 2010 season.

The CA Brumbies have held annual pre-season fixtures against the Hurricanes since 2004, with the CA Brumbies winning the 2009 pre-season fixture 28-14 at Canberra Stadium.

The Waratahs and CA Brumbies have contested pre-season matches for the past four years, with the New South Welshmen taking out last year’s match, 17-14 at the Sydney Football Stadium.

Next year’s clash against the Waratahs will be the first time a Super Rugby pre-season match has been held at Viking Park since the CA Brumbies’ 39-22 win over the Hurricanes in February 2001.

CA Brumbies Head Coach Andy Friend says he’s excited about taking on the Waratahs at Viking Park.

“Viking Park is one of the best club rugby ground in Australia,” he said. “There aren’t too many grounds where you’ll get closer to the action and it’s a fantastic oval for the Canberra community to come and watch this game.

“The Tahs/Brumbies rivalry has always conjured up great interest amongst our supporters and I’ve got no doubt there will be a great atmosphere at a packed Viking Park in our last outing of the pre-season.”

Friend says the two pre-season matches will provide a good litmus test prior to the 2010 Investec Super 14.

“The Hurricanes and Waratahs have been two of the better performing sides in the Super 14 over the past few years,” he said. “We saw on several occasions last year how impressive the ‘Canes can be and the Waratahs have also placed well in recent years. Both sides have shown that they have tremendous depth within their squads and we’re looking forward to challenging ourselves in the lead-up to the season proper.

“These matches are a good chance for us to test some of our structures and plays against quality opposition as well as continuing to integrate some of the newer members of the squad.”

The CA Brumbies will begin the 2010 Investec Super 14 season against the Western Force in Perth on Friday, 12 February.

CA Brumbies 2010 Pre-Season Draw

1. Friday, 29 January Hurricanes v CA Brumbies at Westpac Stadium, Wellington
    2. Thursday, 4 February CA Brumbies v Waratahs at Viking Park, Canberra

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    bring it on ......

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Will those guys Giteau and co be able to play? remember last year when they couldn’t play in the preseason game for the Force because they had played to many games in one year! Or am I just imagining that?

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post
    Will those guys Giteau and co be able to play? remember last year when they couldn’t play in the preseason game for the Force because they had played to many games in one year! Or am I just imagining that?
    I think they were mostly rested. The didn't play in the Force intra club trial and they didn't play against the Crusaders but they played a half against the Reds I think.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    The Wallabies do have a mandated break from the last game they play in Europe.

vCash
    the wallabies will be able to play in these matches, the mandated break covers training as well as game, but this is well and truly over by late january.

The only issue might be that the coaches are concerned about injuries and conditioning of the wallaby players since they have had less time to rest there bodies.

vCash
    I think it's union rules.

vCash
    I guess its best international players are rested... Coaches tend to use the preseason to analyse new talent... The Brumbies have already done this in their end of season tour of France.... So if internationals have played many matches and their met their contractual agreements... then, hey they should have a few additional weeks before starting the new year... This has become an issue because the ARU has to have each OZ S14 player under a contract to control where and who they play for globally...

Its rather amusing that ROcky Elsom who represents himself and pushed the ARU to give him free reign has end up team Captain... I think because he hasn't been involved with RUPA since the new CEO has taken over....