Thread: Rugby Union seen as least entertaining sport of four football codes and cricket

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Rugby Union seen as least entertaining sport of four football codes and cricket

By Bret Harris
    October 12, 2009 Rugby Union is suffering from the poorest "brand health" of the major football codes with declining television ratings and crowd figures underlining a general depression in the game.
    The gloomy view of rugby's current place in the sporting landscape has been backed up by market research commissioned by the ARU.

The ARU's "brand health" tracking for the March-June quarter confirms Australian rugby's popularity is on the wane and that passion has gone out of the game.

Of the four football codes and cricket, rugby union was the least entertaining, innovative, grassroots-orientated and social. Only 4 per cent more (29 per cent to 25 per cent) rated rugby more exciting than cricket.

The Brand Health Index (BHI) is comprised of four areas -- salience (advertising recall), equity (brand image statements), engagement (interest, viewership/attendance) and passion (preference, passion statements).

Engagement makes up 50 per cent of the BHI, while equity and passion comprise 20 per cent and salience 10 per cent.
    The BHI is calculated on a score out of 100 built from a series of attributes and questions. Key questions were asked of all sporting codes to allow for comparison.

According to an ARU update to the state unions, overall interest in sport has decreased, possibly because of a large decrease in cricket's appeal and lots of negative media reports.

Rugby league and Australian rules had low scores on equity, but high scores on salience and passion.

Soccer and rugby union had low scores on salience, while rugby union was also low on passion. Cricket had the highest engagement score.

"Rugby's brand equity is diluted by both soccer and cricket with no one attribute being owned by rugby," the ARU said.

"Bluntly put, consumers are not passionate about rugby. They favour AFL and NRL, which tend to be more tribal. Disconcertingly, even our passionates are turning away."

"So overall, rugby has the poorest health, but the main areas of disadvantage are in passion and salience versus other sports."

The low BHI for rugby was driven by the low percentage of Australians indicating union as their favourite sports code. One in four indicated rugby was their favourite or second-favourite sport.

Rugby was regarded as "exclusive and hard to follow". There was a need to educate viewers on how to follow the game and understand the laws, penalties and referee gestures.

While interest in all sports was down, there was a possibility of fans migrating from other sports to rugby when general interest picked up again.

Television audiences and crowds for Test, Super 14 and club rugby had declined.

Overall crowd numbers at Test matches have fallen from 617,555 in 2006 to 386,287 this year, while attendances at Super 14 matches have dropped from 115,317 to 75,393 in the same period.

"TV ratings for inbounds have remained fairly constant versus previous year, Tri-Nations witnessed the greatest decline in audiences," the ARU said.

"Watching rugby is one of the easier engagement activities, yet we've been losing eyeballs for Tests since 2006 and for the first time Super rugby in 2009."

The evidence suggests rugby's core message is not getting through to general sports fans, which is a big problem because this is the market the ARU needs to grow the game.

Over the last three years awareness of rugby union advertising among sports enthusiasts has declined by 13 per cent.

The ARU told the states of the need to "re-engage this segment" of the market.

The downward trend has also continued in rugby membership and national participation.

Overall membership of the ARU and state unions fell 14 per cent from 32,837 to 28,027 over the past year.

Participation rates dropped 2 per cent from 193,382 in 2006 to 183,810 in 2008. The ARU will use these results to create a marketing strategy for next year.

The ARU said the purpose of the marketing will be, "to build and maintain rugby fans commitment to the code in a winning and losing season, now and in the future".

"Leveraging rugby's rich tradition and heritage we will rekindle the relevance of rugby among the evolving Australian sporting fan," it said.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23217,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Coach, is there an "head in the sand" icon that can be added to the Smilies?

vCash
    "Brand health"? W T F ? This is too esoteric and arcane for this little black duck!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Its a bit like a "Team Climate" survey the players did last year. And look what happened there.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Its a bit like a "Team Climate" survey the players did last year. And look what happened there.
    the committee held sway

vCash
    The 'team climate' is inversely proportional to the actual climate the committee is living in.

C'mon the

vCash
    Its like I've been saying all along. Rugby is a boring game at the moment.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    actually a lot of people have been saying that

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chook View Post
    Its like I've been saying all along. Rugby is a boring game at the moment.
    You really need to get out and watch some teams other than the Tahs mate

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Last time I checked, they havent played recently and they did better than you guys anyway. If you hadnt noticed, its International season and thats what I've been harping on about. BOOOORIING!! ANZ Cup is better.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Its just been a bad year. Last year was really exciting by comparison. This years dour play has been made worse by the fact that a) we are losing and b) South Africa are winning. Never a good combination.

If we can get a national rugby comp off the ground it will go a long way toward making rugby more appealing. Fingers crossed that between a possible trifecta of 7s in the Olympics, a change to the ARU constitution that will allow government funding and a tasty new broadcasting deal (not looking so good if fans are turning away from the sport) we can get that off the ground seriously. It could help to make up a lot of the ground we've lost over the last 4 or 5 years.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    i read a article the other day where someone pointed it out brilliantly, is a 3% decline really that bad when the last 4 years have seen a increase of 24%..

Yeah rugby is having a bad year, but its hardly the death sentence, the sport has grown rapidly for the last 10years. In saying that, the administrators would be silly to ignore the signs that people are growing tired of the product currently produced.

Whilst the S14 is great, it leaves australia in the position of running the risk of having no australian team win it for years on end, at least in the NRL/AFL people can draw allegiances to other australian teams because they have friends from there and thing like that, in the S14 even the most avid rugby fan will agree its to hard to draw allegiances to a team which is a ocean away.

People are drawn to success, australian rugby's recent lack of success is really hurting it, i would be interested to see what people would be saying about the game if we had a QLD-NSW S14 GF(QLD winning of course) and the Wallabies winning both the tri-nations and Bledisloe.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Ahh but TOCC thats the beauty of the new conference system. Whichever Australian S14 team is best (ie the Force) has the chance to play all the other Aussie teams twice and so has a better chance of picking up lots of points. So regardless of whether it is a top team over all, one team will win its conference.

The new competition plans will cover a lot of the bases that were wrong before. More games should mean more money which should mean fewer players going off to the UK/Japan/France. More games means a longer season as apposed to the short one we have ATM that is over before it starts and the new conference system means more derbies and a better chance of an Aussie team in the finals. Pretty exciting I think.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    People are drawn to success, australian rugby's recent lack of success is really hurting it, i would be interested to see what people would be saying about the game if we had a QLD-NSW S14 GF(QLD winning of course) and the Wallabies winning both the tri-nations and Bledisloe.
    Nice one TOCC!.... and when it happens I'll knit beelzebub a pair of socks to keep the cold out!