Thread: DVD+ or DVD- ?

vCash

DVD+ or DVD- ?

So, I have this DVD recorder/player thing and, at the moment, I have a number of programs recorded on to its HDD.

Now I'd like to keep some of them so I thought I'd burn 'em on to a DVD.

So I went to the shops and they offer me DVD+ or DVD-.

So I left without buying anything as I have no idea which one I want.

What means + and what means - and what's the difference? And, more importantly, what's the best?

Anyone? Anyone? (Bueller?)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Gee, It's ages since that's really been an issue. both formats essentially do exactly the same job in a different way. We don't need to worry about the mechanics of it, since most modern appliances are just as happy with either.

The only (vague) recollection of a difference would be ages ago (like ten or so years) DVD-R was more widely accepted. I'm sure any modern burner will not care two hoots which you use.

Neither format stores any more information than the other, neither is easier to work with (unless of course your DVD burner doesn't handle one) and neither gives you better quality images.

Have a close look at your recorder and the actual design of the little logos that appear there, the logos indicate which products your machine is compatible with (I'll bet it has both)

HTH

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I find the DVD-R when I am recording care packages is a bit easier in the only fact that the DVD recorder doesn't ask me to format them where as it does for the DVD+R.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Ecky - without wanting to sound like a smartass - what does the manual say. I know when I had a "Brand X" HDD recorder i borrowed a while ago It was quite specific in what disc type was to be used.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    as Gigs said, DVD-R is more compatible, although this may not be an issue these days.

Neither have a long shelf life (something to do with dyes running from memory). Googling you'll find claims of 6 months to 200 years ) If your intent is to archive for posterity, I believe there are archive quality blank DVDs available which have a guaranteed 100 year shelf life.

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    Ecky - without wanting to sound like a smartass - what does the manual say. I know when I had a "Brand X" HDD recorder i borrowed a while ago It was quite specific in what disc type was to be used.
    The old RTFM, hey? The manual is what has confused me because it refers to both and something to do with formatting or not. The manual seems written for someone who already knows the difference between + and -, contributing to my confusion.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    DVD+R is more for "video editing" so would be better for a dvd recorder.
    DVD-R is more for data and "single session" recording (recording just once).

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    The old RTFM, hey? The manual is what has confused me because it refers to both and something to do with formatting or not. The manual seems written for someone who already knows the difference between + and -, contributing to my confusion.
    formatting is a concept not limited to DVDs, all storage devices require formatting, which is simply a way of mapping the physical locations on the disk to the data that's stored there. The confusion comes when most products come pre formatted and people get worried when the term's used. Particularly since formatting at it's essence wipes the device clean of content and writes a new (blank) map onto it.

Your manual will likely say one type needs formatting and the other doesn't. go with the one that doesn't (because it's one less step)

The other thing that will throw you early is 'finalising' you need to finalise the disk before you can play it on anything other than the device it's created on, but once you finalize, you can't add more stuff. Get it?

C'mon the

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    And if/when you do finalise a multisession disc, you can only see the first session on non-PC devices.

confused? Pop down to JBs for a brew or two and forget all about the dvd.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Jeez - mental note: do not come in here for advice next time I crash my HDD!!

I just hate being asked: "you had backed it up, hadn't you?".

Apparently 68% of geek murders occur within 2 minutes of that question being asked!!

---------- Post added at 15:16 ---------- Previous post was at 15:16 ----------

WAAAy too much knowledge in this room

'God invented beer to prevent Props from taking over the world'