Peter Alford | October 31, 2009

Article from: The Australian
THERE is talk in the All Blacks camp of "twisting the knife" tonight and the Wallabies -- without Berrick Barnes, Stirling Mortlock, a win in their last six clashes and a lot of questions hanging over their heads for seven weeks -- are hardly shocked by that.
"I think they feel they're a long way ahead at the moment and the way they finished that game they were a few points (ahead of) where we were," said new captain Rocky Elsom, reflecting on the final minutes of last month's 33-6 Wellington debacle which gained the New Zealanders a Bledisloe-clinching 3-0 victory.
But Elsom and coach Robbie Deans insisted yesterday Tokyo is anything but a dead rubber for the Wallabies, who have been both working hard at match-specific programs for the past three weeks and sternly re-examining their performances through the winter.
"As much as it's a big occasion for me, it's quite a big engagement for the team," said the 26-year-old flanker, who will lead the Wallabies out for the first time tonight in his 45th test.
"Considering where we've come from, this game is extremely important to us despite the fact we can't win the trophy anymore
"You'll know at the end of the game how far ahead of us they are and whether or not they've turned the knife in us."
And the Kiwis also are anxious to dispel any suspicion they're treating this match as a stroll in the park, as some suggested of the equivalent game in Hong Kong last spring.
Graham Henry's squad has been told its European tour, which starts in Japan as it does for the Wallabies, is about All Black selection for next season and ticks and crosses start going against players' names tonight.
The Kiwis were expecting a daring approach from the Wallabies, even before Barnes's injury.
With Barnes out and the dangerous Adam Ashley-Cooper at inside centre, on a firm, fast surface, they're expecting more adventurous opposition tonight.
The Australians' back seven has been reworked twice in the past five days. Ashley-Cooper moved from outside centre to fullback then to inside centre after Barnes's potentially tour-ending injury on Thursday. Teenager James O'Connor was returned to fullback from the bench, while wingers Peter Hynes and Digby Ioane returned from long-term injuries.
"The boys adapted magnificently at training -- Coopy moved in, James went to the back and we carried on," Deans said yesterday.
"I guess we're fortunate (versatility) is our philosophy and that's the way we've prepared. I'd suggest Adam Ashley-Cooper is capable of mastering any number of those positions and I think he'll show that tomorrow."
Deans has brought Reds fly-half Quade Cooper, 21, onto the bench for his eighth cap tonight as "he can play at 10, 12 and possibly even the back, so he covers the skill-set we've lost with Berrick".
Cooper debuted for the Wallabies in the Italy game where Barnes's last European tour ended after 20 minutes with a shoulder injury.
But the Australian management was slightly more hopeful yesterday than 24 hours earlier the vice-captain would be able to remain on tour, though certainly missing the England Test on November 7 and possibly Ireland on November 15, when it hopes to have Mortlock return.
Barnes was due for more scans on the ankle last night and Deans indicated yesterday if the diagnosis is just ligament damage he'll continue on the tour, but "if it's syndesmosis (high ankle sprain) that's more sinister" and he'll be on a plane home from Tokyo.
Regardless, Deans has already decided to call up another player, because with three games in eight days -- the United Kingdom tour starts versus Gloucester on Tuesday -- and with a lot of travel between, he does not want
players who start in tonight's fixture also starting in the following tour-opening match.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015651,00.html