Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Scots say Wallabies are there for the taking

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Scots say Wallabies are there for the taking

Fantastic to finally hear some confidence out of Scotland but I think they would have been well advised to keep it in the changeroom, at least for a few more days.
    The Wallabies are going to be mighty pissed coming off last weekend and this will just add more fuel to the rage.

Greg Growden | November 18, 2009

EDINBURGH: Even Scotland, who haven't beaten Australia in their past 16 meetings over a painfully long 27 years, believe the Wallabies are no world-beaters and are priming themselves for victory at Murrayfield on Saturday (4am Sunday, Sydney time).

With their grand slam aspirations over after drawing 20-20 with Ireland at Croke Park, the frazzled mood of a tired and dejected Wallabies squad worsened when they arrived in Edinburgh from Dublin late on Monday. They encountered wet skies, freezing temperatures and local footballers who are convinced they are vulnerable and not up with the many recent touring Wallabies sides who have thrashed them with regularity.

If the Springboks or All Blacks were in town, the Scots would probably be careful what they said. But knowing that this Australian side revolves around an inexperienced player group accustomed to disappointment, it was clear that even though they enjoyed a patchy and unspectacular 23-10 win over Fiji at Murrayfield last Saturday they believe they could be heading towards their first triumph over Australia since 1982.

Their new coach, Andy Robinson, who was involved with England for many years, was careful in his assessment, saying Scotland would have to improve by 15 per cent to be competitive against the Wallabies, but his players were more boisterous.

No.8 Johnnie Beattie went as far as saying that in certain areas Scotland face an easier task confronting the Wallabies than they did against Fiji. He told the Scottish media that they would know exactly what to expect from their opponents.

''Personally, I find it harder playing against a team like Fiji because you have no idea what they are going to throw at you,'' Beattie told Glasgow's Herald. ''The talent they [Fiji] have is unbelievable. You can analyse Australia and second-guess areas to go in defence and do your research and find out where you are supposed to go, which I find easier than playing against a team where you have locks stepping and props stepping as you saw [from Fiji].

''You never know where it is going to go but if we are more organised in our defence, we should be able to shut them down next week.''

The belief in the Scotland team was shown by skipper Chris Cusiter proclaiming: ''We will cause a team like Australia problems.'' When asked if at last Scotland will beat the Wallabies, he replied: ''Absolutely. We have a focus on what we have to do.''

After a sleepless night following the frustrations of Croke Park, where his team again wasted its opportunity by falling away in the final minutes, Wallabies coach Robbie Deans said he was aware a Robinson-coached Scotland were dangerous.

''Scotland will be waiting for us and they're hungry,'' Deans said. ''They are also coached by Andy Robinson, who is pretty hungry as well because he is passionate about getting results. I've no doubt he will have them champing at the bit. Watching the Fiji game, I had a sense they were just waiting for this week.''

It is clear Deans respects Robinson's coaching capabilities and knows that his Scottish players will want to impress their new leader. ''They've got this presence up front and through the back line. It is clear that these players can see an exciting future and they all want to be part of it. Some fresh components and experience comes through Andy Robinson, so it's a very potent mix,'' Deans said.

Deans knows his players are hurting following the Ireland failure, but was encouraged when told of the sentiments of his fullback Adam Ashley-Cooper, who said they all were desperate to finish the Home Unions leg unbeaten.

Ashley-Cooper explained: ''No one has officially told me the grand slam is over. I don't want to hear it. And that's the way I'm approaching the rest of the tour.''

Deans put it into perspective: ''The grand slam is gone but there's still an awful lot to play for.''

Meanwhile, Ireland winger Luke Fitzgerald looks set to miss the Six Nations after rupturing a knee ligament during the draw with Australia.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Although I don't like the public display of confidence, it is important in Scotland to generate as much interest as possible. Rugby Union is a bit depressed in Scotland at the moment and drawing crowds is a must.

A healthy display by the Scots would satisfy me but there is always the possibility of a win, especially if we get the crowd behind us. If we can muster the pride we showed in yesteryear then it will be a good contest. We do have a reasonably good talent base to work from and their experience is growing.

Come on lads, do it for Scotland!!!!!!!!

Just happy to be here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    The Wallabies are going to be mighty pissed coming off last weekend and this will just add more fuel to the rage.

I have never in the 3 years I have been in Au seen the Wallabies play with Feul and rage because they are pissed so it will be exsiting if that can happen

vCash
    Wallabies by 15

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think in the past they have been coached out of emotion PB, to remain focused on skills and structures an.....yawn....
    This time around I think they have the right coach (who has already got the skills and fitness up and who is as pissed off at missing the GS as his players) who is just as likely to say something as simple as "Right boys, just go out there and f*ck them up, you know how to play, go and do it."
    I'd like to think so anyway...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I think the Wallabies will send Scotland homeward -

"tae think again".

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash

How do we really know that's what the Scots said???

No one can understand anything they say.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    they actually said

worllabees er theeeirrrrr ferrrr th teekin

BTW Thanks to Pieman, I'm going to drop a hundred Gs on Wallabies by 12+

C'mon the

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Probably more like:
    "They're nae so hard, we're no feart and we're sure no shittin wir sel'."

vCash

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post

How do we really know that's what the Scots said???

No one can understand anything they say.
    I don't rate anything Greg Growden says or does anyway..he's a total PLONKER!

vCash
    Who cares? If the Wallabies read it and get pissed off the Scottish are going to be minced!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Wallabies by 15
    I like the confidence!

---------- Post added at 12:34 ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Who cares? If the Wallabies read it and get pissed off the Scottish are going to be minced!
    They did get pissed off but what happened to the minced bit

---------- Post added at 12:36 ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by tic View Post
    I think the Wallabies will send Scotland homeward -

"tae think again".
    The part you got confused about Tic was we were already at home and I think Proud Deansies army will be thinking again on their way home.

Just happy to be here

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    youVe never been so active on the forum TEF since the day you started, if only you could have this passion for the next 27 years

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The EnForcer View Post
    I like the confidence
    Where was your confidence this time last week

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The EnForcer View Post
    Although I don't like the public display of confidence, it is important in Scotland to generate as much interest as possible. Rugby Union is a bit depressed in Scotland at the moment and drawing crowds is a must.

A healthy display by the Scots would satisfy me but there is always the possibility of a win, especially if we get the crowd behind us. If we can muster the pride we showed in yesteryear then it will be a good contest. We do have a reasonably good talent base to work from and their experience is growing.

Come on lads, do it for Scotland!!!!!!!!

Jargan, I think that shows a reasonable mans amount of confidence.

Plus I won money on the game too!

---------- Post added at 12:49 ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    youVe never been so active on the forum TEF since the day you started, if only you could have this passion for the next 27 years
    Hey you have to have passion to support Scotland, it's been a long time between drinks but I never give up

Just happy to be here

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast