Thread: Codes showdown in opposition to violence against women

vCash

Arrow Codes showdown in opposition to violence against women

Wednesday, 18 November 2009

http://www.brumbies.com.au/act.rugby/page/57172

Canberra’s football bragging rights will go up for grabs on Thursday (19 November) when the Brumbies and CFMEU Raiders head to the touch field in support of the ACT White Ribbon Sports Challenge.

The six-a-side match will launch the ACT White Ribbon Sports Challenge, a year-long initiative to encourage local sporting clubs and codes to create a positive and respectful environment for women and girls. The launch will take place at the Australian Institute of Sport synthetic field at 12.30pm.

The ACT White Ribbon Sports Challenge initiative is linked to White Ribbon Day on Wednesday, 25 November, a day used to highlight the need to eradicate violence against women.

The Brumbies will be represented by Huia Edmonds, Christian Lealiifano, Sitaleki Timani, Afusipa Taumoepeau, and Brumbies Academy members Nathan Charles, James Stannard and Brackin Karauria-Henry, and will line-up against the CFMEU Raiders sextet of Josh Miller, Mick Picker, Joel Monaghan, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson and Tom Learoyd-Lahrs.

CFMEU Raiders centre Joel Monaghan said it’s always fun to have a dig at the opposing code and he’s looking forward to a bit of old-fashioned sledging when he takes the field Thursday as well as helping support a great cause.

“I just hope these guys remember they’re not allowed to kick the ball when they run it back,” Monaghan said. “I’m sure we’ll go alright with Mick Picker and Campo in the side directing the play, but I’m a bit worried about big Thommo.

“Hopefully we can get plenty of people down there to check it out because it is for a good cause and it’s great to see the Raiders and Brumbies together to help support the White Ribbon Foundation.”

Lealiifano says Thursday’s match will settle the footballing rivalry… for the time being.

“There’s always talk about whose code’s tougher and whose is more skilful and this will give us chance to show them what we’ve got,” he joked. “We’ve been working on a few moves and we’re sure the Raiders boys won’t know what hit them when we take to the field on Thursday.

“Football aside, this is a great chance to lend our support to a very serious and worthy cause. No situation condones violence against women. We’re pleased to join with the Raiders against violence against women and lend our support to White Ribbon Day and the White Ribbon Sports Challenge.”

Rob Regent, White Ribbon Ambassador says he’s pleased to have the CFMEU Raiders and Brumbies promoting a positive sporting atmosphere for women.

"There are over 40,000 men and boys registered with sporting clubs in the ACT and surrounding region,” he said. “The White Ribbon Sports Challenge is about those men and boys taking action to create a fun, friendly and safe environment around sport for women and girls. The key to the success of this Challenge is showing the community that most sportsmen are good blokes.

“The importance of having the Brumbies and Raiders involved is primarily to use their popularity and profile in Canberra to bring attention to the Challenge. The more people know about it, the more positive things will happen and therefore the more ‘good bloke’ stories we can share. It's also a good way to demonstrate to the community that they are taking an active interest in creating respectful cultures around sport.”

2009 White Ribbon Sports Challenge – Cross Touch Football Match
    Outdoor Synthetic Field, Australian Institute of Sport
    Thursday, 19 November, 2009
    Kick-off: 12.30pm

CFMEU Canberra Raiders: Josh Miller, Mick Picker, Terry Campese, Joel Monaghan, Troy Thompson, Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

CA Brumbies: Huia Edmonds, Christian Lealiifano, Sitaleki Timani, Afusipa Taumoepeau, Nathan Charles, James Stannard, Brackin Karauria-Henry

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Good cause.
    Their respective franchise sponsors seem appropriate, if ever I needed a reason not to like/support the Vikings I now have it...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Good cause.
    Their respective franchise sponsors seem appropriate, if ever I needed a reason not to like/support the Vikings I now have it...

Stay strong brother, no ticket no start, if forced we will strike

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I saw this article on the origins of the White Ribbon as the symbol for the campaign against Domestic Violence a couple of days ago: [http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politi...1115-igau.html

Almost 20 years ago, on December 6, 1989, a young man went looking for women at l'Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal. Here, in the middle of this highly civilised Western city, he wanted to find women and kill them. He killed 14 women that day...
    In Canada, a handful of men were determined that the anti-feminist massacre, and the larger problem of endemic violence against women, would not be forgotten...
    To coincide with the second anniversary of the massacre, men began a campaign of remembrance symbolised by wearing a white ribbon.
    The statistics are sobering, but if the user comments are anything to go by, sadly there's still a long way to go.

Last edited by Swee_82; 19-11-09 at 13:45.