Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is ME the worst stadium in Oz

vCash

Is ME the worst stadium in Oz

OK, I have spent quite some time watching various things at ME, and came to the conclusion that it is a terrible stadium. I am a Gold Force member, but am seriously concerned re what seat I will be offered this coming season. Apart from the so-called, 'Grandstand', which does offer a good view, there are few other reasonable seats.

the Eastern 'stand' is bad. No cover and into the sun all day and evening and for some obscure reason, from each eand, the stand curves AWAY from the touchline leaving a far too large gap between seats and field of play. And, during the soccer they have advertising hoarding between the fence and line, and ony those sitting towards the rear of the lower stand can actually see the touchline!

The rear part of this stand has far too shallow an incline, putting specators even further away from the play. And, you have to be quite some way back here too in order not to have your view impaired by the rails at the front of this abomination!

The 'Shed' area is a mess and needs an astronomical telescope to see the other end of the pitch.

In front of the grandstand are a few rows of seats, but with too shallow an incline as most are directly behind where the flock of players, subs and officials sit obscuring one's view.

There are some appalling seats at the front in the corners, and some, defy belief in being labelled as 'Gold' soccer seats. They are behind the goal line and have obscured views owing to advertising thingies and cameras.

Many of the deficits of Subi are here. The Grandstand should run the length of the pitch but does not and it's limited seating will not be available to members. The whole area is likely to be corporate. I have read too, that a block of the Eastern Stand will also be quarantined. So just about all good viewig areas are gone and what is left leaves a hell of a lot to be disired.

Parking and transport are also far better at Subi.

I won't mention the flood lights! Nor many other horrors of the ground.

And at Subi, bad as it was, there was a decent bar serving decent beer in decent glasses. What will we get at ME? Corporate-sponsor slop in plastic cups?

Yep, I'm worried and I know some members have already refused to renew membership at this excused of a stadium.

I'd be interested in other's views.
    Eddied

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    welcome along eddie...mes has to be a step in the right direction, i'm sure most twf members are in support of the move, as for where we'll all be sitting regardless of our membership colour, we will find this out over the next couple of weeks, and if you feel your seat was better, transport was better ect at subi, you have the right not to renew your membership.... as for no cover from the sun in the eastern stand our earliest kick off next season is 18.05 on the second of april all other home games are 19.05, 19.10 or 19.45......

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiewoof View Post
    The 'Shed' area is a mess and needs an astronomical telescope to see the other end of the pitch.
    From the same position, Subiaco would need the Hubble telescope.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Hi Eddiewoof

Most of the members of this forum were actively involved in the petitions and canvasing for a rectangular stadium for the force
    Deep in our harts we all know that MES is a shitty staduim but at least it is a rugby staduim and that is a good start.

We can only go forward from here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slomo View Post
    welcome along eddie...mes has to be a step in the right direction, i'm sure most twf members are in support of the move, as for where we'll all be sitting regardless of our membership colour, we will find this out over the next couple of weeks, and if you feel your seat was better, transport was better ect at subi, you have the right not to renew your membership.... as for no cover from the sun in the eastern stand our earliest kick off next season is 18.05 on the second of april all other home games are 19.05, 19.10 or 19.45......
    Thanks, Slomo, nice way of telling me to go take a jump if I don't like it! ;0) Yes, you are right but I do want to remain a member. I do enjoy my rugby. Yes, Subi was crap but did have some plusses. Yes, ME is a rectangular ground but not much more. Yes, I too lobbied for a rectangular and am peed off at the inactivity of the previous gvt, which was flush with cash, and the current, which is just stupid.

The plans for the New ME are super. Just wonder if I'll live long enough to see it.

Eddie

---------- Post added at 18:36 ---------- Previous post was at 18:34 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    Agree. Apalling

---------- Post added at 18:43 ---------- Previous post was at 18:36 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by pieter blackie View Post
    Hi Eddiewoof

Most of the members of this forum were actively involved in the petitions and canvasing for a rectangular stadium for the force
    Deep in our harts we all know that MES is a shitty staduim but at least it is a rugby staduim and that is a good start.

We can only go forward from here
    I too was involved and was one of the thousands that made up that sign on Subi oval. I agree that ME is more appropriate, but am worried that in the short term, the poor seating and very high cost of membership, especially Gold, is going to turn a number of people off. The sooner that they demolish this antiquity the better

Eddie

---------- Post added at 18:44 ---------- Previous post was at 18:43 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    Agreed, but they were more comfortable.....had to be as there was nothing to see

;0)

Eddie

vCash
    relax dude
    we are all in the same boat

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Paying good money for shit seats again?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    2 different answers from the one post?

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Must agree that I am not looking forward to seeing where I am going to be sitting with my nickel memebrship.

At Subi I thought I had as good a seat as any sitting in the second tear at one of the corners for the price of nickel. Much better than the gold seats I have sat in for internationals.

Think it is short term pain for long term gain though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slomo View Post
    Ahhh, yes, forgot to mention the times and cover. I have checked and all starts are at sunset, much as I love Daylight Saving it would have been awful had we kept these start times, but they do seem to be geared for the sun.

That aside, the question of cover. Slomo, I'm not too bothered about the weather as generally it's fine. However, an important point that I think has been missed is: If the rain can get in, then, via the same avenue, the SOUND can get out! covered stadiaums generate far more noise and atmosphere. A good stadium designer will cater for this and design one that amplifies the noise, directs it and sends it to where it should be....the field. Our extra-man! Though the opposition are probaby far too professional and experienced to let it bother them, it can, and does, inspire, encourage and motivate the home team. This was lost at Subi. I have been on rectangular grounds where 12,000 make more noise than subi with 40k. Well designed stadia where the roof does not absorb the noise but amplifies it (I think this could be a problem with arty-type designs, done more for eye-candy corporate appeal than practicality). ME with proper seating, steeply inclided two-tier stands covered stands, and around the corners as well, acting as a huge lens blasting the sound out towards play. Makes for atmosphere, great to be in it and great to hear on tv, where, maybe one or two might be motivated enough to join us. But, as it is, it's virtually all open and the sound just dissiaptes into thin air. The few in the shed do make good noise, great support, which I admire, but often not what they shout. The only other cover is the grandstand, and they're far too busy stuffing truffles and Moet to make any noise other than a quiet, polite belch.

Eddie

---------- Post added at 21:16 ---------- Previous post was at 21:04 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by OzFUB View Post
    Must agree that I am not looking forward to seeing where I am going to be sitting with my nickel memebrship.

At Subi I thought I had as good a seat as any sitting in the second tear at one of the corners for the price of nickel. Much better than the gold seats I have sat in for internationals.

Think it is short term pain for long term gain though.
    You are probably right. I had Gold, block 104, and probably saw less than people up in the 2nd tier, problem is, that those seats are mostly behind play.

eddie

vCash
    Hey Eddie, way to wade into the argument.

For the record, I agree wholeheartedly that MES is not a good stadium in which to watch rugby, but I personally feel it is a better option than Subi for the following reasons.
    I have watched many rugby games at MES, all the preseason trials, the Perth Spirit games and one or two Club GFs. The view from every seat I've been in (and the shed) shits all over my gold seat in Subi (Block 101 row F on the aisle)

the Eastern 'stand' is bad. No cover and into the sun all day and evening and for some obscure reason, from each eand, the stand curves AWAY from the touchline leaving a far too large gap between seats and field of play. And, during the soccer they have advertising hoarding between the fence and line, and ony those sitting towards the rear of the lower stand can actually see the touchline!
    I too have sat in the Eastern stand, including on the fence for the Manu Samoa trial. I thought it rocked (and remember the sun was in our eyes for pretty much the whole match) I remember calling something out to Canno as he was walking up to throw into a lineout and getting a thumbs up......you can't do that in Subi.....hell the ground announcer can't do that in subi.
    The rear part of this stand has far too shallow an incline, putting specators even further away from the play. And, you have to be quite some way back here too in order not to have your view impaired by the rails at the front of this abomination!
    I sat reasonably high in this stand for the spirit matches and found the view (whilst I agree it was shallow) to be pretty good I certainly could see what was going on without my 'subiaco binoculars' (ie spending half the game watching the big screen because the players were on the opposite touchline and I couldn't see anything below their waist.
    And where did you sit at subi, the bench?
    In front of the grandstand are a few rows of seats, but with too shallow an incline as most are directly behind where the flock of players, subs and officials sit obscuring one's view.
    Careful, I have some shithot photos from those seats, Crusaders and Reds trial. If you tell me they're bad I might not take coach up on his offer for next year's trial.
    Parking and transport are also far better at Subi.
    OK, not arguing with that
    And at Subi, bad as it was, there was a decent bar serving decent beer in decent glasses. What will we get at ME? Corporate-sponsor slop in plastic cups?
    dunno where you bought your beer, but mine was the aforementioned corporate sponsor slop......and it was overpriced, even stevens for the average man.[/quote]
    You also mentioned later in your comments shelter......I don't know how long you've been sitting in gold, but I can't think of a single gold seat at subi that's under shelter

I'm with Slomo, I personally reckon the rectangular factor, getting us closer to the action (in some cases by over 200 metres) will work to improve your view.......the rest will come in time, particularly since enough people who've dropped their memberships because they know damn well they can buy nickel seats at subi and simply walk straight to the gold seats once the game starts. towards the end of last season, they didn't even bother going through the right gate into the ground.

C'mon the

vCash
    Here is some pics from the Crusader game

http://twf.com.au/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=198

And here is a video I made

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dB_8INldEk"]YouTube- Force vs crusaders 2009[/ame]

vCash
    Let's make sure we're fair Pieter, no normal person will get those seats, they'll either be corporate or diamond. The Gold seats will be a lot further back and around the ground. For comparison, can anybody upload some video taken from a diamond or corporate seat at Subiaco?

---------- Post added at 08:13 ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 ----------

Oh and let's not forget every time the 'Saders warmed up

"BAAAAAAAAA"

C'mon the

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    One thing that should be said is that the ME stadium as we know it will be different to the one that we see for the first Force game of 2010 Super 14 Season.

RugbyWA, The Town of Vincent and other interested parties are throwing a tonne of money at the stadium to improve the facilities for all. If my memory serves me correctly that includes a 2 Million dollar upgrade to the lighting so it is up to Super14 standard and 3 additional grand stands to increase the seating to 21,000+.

I can understand Eddiewoof's and others concerns but lets see what happens with these upgrades before we assign MES to the scrapheap.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    GIGS has already covered most of what I was going to say

I am a regular in the shed and don't need to bring the hubble space telescope with me, I also sat at the opposite end of the Shed at the Rugby League match in June and didn't require a telescope to see what was happening at the opposite end. I have sat all over MES especially at the Perth Spirit, I had the sense to head to the Shed in that first game when it was pouring rain and the view was still better then anything I had seen at subi

There is parking around MES, you just need where to look

I don't usually buy beer at the ground when a sporting event is on because it's usually overpriced garbage (except in Canberra and Brisbane, I see a pattern emerging) the Carlton Mid served at Subi was an affront to God himself

MES isn't the best ground in the country, but it is better then Subi. Which in my opinion is barely fit to hold a game of AFL (and I have been to a few)

Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    RugbyWA, The Town of Vincent and other interested parties are throwing a tonne of money at the stadium to improve the facilities for all. If my memory serves me correctly that includes a 2 Million dollar upgrade to the lighting so it is up to Super14 standard and 3 additional grand stands to increase the seating to 21,000+.
    Correct, not to mention the Governments announcement back in July to rebulit the ground with a cpacity of 27,000 with work to alledgedly commence after the Super 14 (I won't believe that until it happens mind you)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast