JOSH RAKIC

December 6, 2009
Work to do...Adam Freier is committed to returning rugby union to the top of the Sydney sporting heap. Photo: Getty Images

THIS was meant to be a story about Adam Freier's year from hell; three torn hamstrings, three torn calf muscles, a bulging disc and ruptured biceps all in the space of six months. But the Waratahs hooker doesn't want to talk negativity.

''I don't want a 'what about me, sitting under a rock, staring at the sun, hating life kind of story','' he said.

''I'd love to win a Super title, win a World Cup, but I'm also very passionate about getting rugby back to where it deserves to be and should be.

''If I had to retire tomorrow and I don't win a Super 14 championship, then I can confidently say I've been with rugby through its peak - playing in front of 40,000 here [at the SFS] back in 2004. I'll never forget that. That's what I'm proud of. And I think we can get it back there.''

And the insightful 29-year-old is taking it upon himself to do just that.
He knows the popularity of Australian rugby is at an all-time low and that there's no quick fix.

''But the things I think we might be able to control over the next two or three years of Waratahs rugby or rugby Australia-wide, is that we can get the crowds back. We can,'' the veteran of 16 Tests said.

''Rugby is in a recession. But we've hit rock bottom now and I think it's a recession that rugby had to have in a way; to clean out the rut. And I really do think all rugby can do is get better from here and it has to - especially with the GWS [AFL] team coming and the NRL absolutely pumping.

''Everyone loves rugby but it's very hard to drive home the message when you've got negative press. And that's not saying a lot of it wasn't deserved, but now it's a challenge to get everyone liking rugby again.''

Freier said it was up to the players to take some responsibility for the state of the code and for the franchise sides to improve their skills to become much more competitive in the Super 15.

''One way we can win rugby back is if we have a team step up in the Super competition. If one of us do well it has to have an effect, a flow-on. Just look what Parramatta did for the NRL,'' he said.

''A lot of the senior players from all clubs are agreeing we need to do something to make sure the game's in better shape.

''We at the Waratahs are conscious of it and we really need to make sure that we're doing well next season. Not so much just winning, but making sure we're playing competitive rugby.''

And he's confident the flow-on of the Wallabies' mixed spring tour will play a big part.

''The promising thing from the Wallabies' season [are] the combinations it's provided for some of the Super 14 clubs,'' he said.

''Look at the Western Force's pack now, with David Pocock, Richard Brown, Pek Cowan and Nathan Sharpe. They're rock stars.

''And the Queensland back line with Will Genia, Digby Ioane, Quade Cooper, Peter Hynes and Morgan Turinui. The Brumbies back line too, with Matt Giteau, Adam Ashley-Cooper and Stirling Mortlock.

''That's what Robbie is doing, he's giving all these blokes a go and I can't understand why people can't read between the lines.

''We've had the clean-out, now we have to improve on it and prove everything we've been through has been worth. Our Super teams have to show there's enough talent and depth for not only the current teams to be competitive, but the fifth team in 2012.''

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...1205-kbyj.html