Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Force 1st XV

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

2010 Force 1st XV

Here is my take on the probable 1st XV (with a few exceptions added).
    While they may not be world beaters they are a good mid table combination while still in a rebuild phase following an exceptional year of coming and going for the Squad.
    Look forward to others posting their versions.

Burgs' 2010 Force 1st XV:

1 Pekahou Cowan/Matt Dunning
    2 Ben Whittaker
    3 Tim Fairbrother
    4 Tom Hockings
    5 Nathan Sharpe
    6 (Ben McCalman-Filipe Manu)/Matt Hodgson
    7 David Pocock
    8 Richard Brown

9 Brett Sheehan
    10 Andre Pretorius
    11 Nick Cummins/Mark Bartholomeusz
    12 James O'Connor/Sam Harris
    13 Ryan Cross
    14 Dane Haylett-Petty
    15 Cameron Shepherd

16 Ryan Tyrrell
    17 Matt Dunning/Pekahou Cowan
    18 Richard Stanford/Sam Wykes
    19 Matt Hodgson/(Ben McCalman-Filipe Manu)
    20 Chris O'Young
    21 Sam Harris/James O'Connor
    22 Mark Bartholomeusz/Haig Sare

Notes:

#1- Undecided if they will show faith in Cowan to continue his development with Dunning cover on the Bench for LH & TH (assuming Fairbrother has TH stitched up) or Dunning will start and move to TH late in the match if required. I doubt Henderson would be in the 1st XV but will no doubt get an opportunity due to injury.

#6- There is plenty of debate on TWF as to the use of Hodgson. He may continue as a light Blindside or move to the Bench as the Backrow “super sub”, allowing for a larger #6.

#11 & #22- Nick Cummins would be an automatic selection for one of the Wings once fit again. I imagine Bart will cover there, bringing Haig Sare onto the Bench.

#12- Many, including myself, believe James O’Connor’s best position is Inside Centre however, he is perhaps a season away from having the defensive game against the likes of a Nonu. 2010 may be better spent furthering his apprenticeship from the Bench, covering #10-15, and allowing the stronger Harris to start.

#18- Undecide who they will use here by choice but injury in the Squad will probably step in first.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion
    vCash
    pretty dame good, Matt H will get the number 6 jersey Browny did his ankle this week and is out for 6 weeks and I think oyoung will get the number 9 initially he has a better pass and will make Shehan hungrey for the posiotion. Cowan will be groomed for the number 2 jersey I feel.
    Outside backs is worry not many tacklers out wide Crossy will have to play better to retain his number 13

vCash
    a centre - 5/8 combo of Pretorius-Harris-Cross is pretty one dimensional, you surely need JOC in there to mix things up a bit

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    a centre - 5/8 combo of Pretorius-Harris-Cross is pretty one dimensional, you surely need JOC in there to mix things up a bit
    how is that one dimensional?

Giteau and O'connor are very similar players.. so if anything our back line was previously more one-dimensional than it is as above... Pretorius is completely different... and Harris and Cross are different yet again...

i agree with O'connor as super sub at worst 15 if he is going to start.. but id expect Sheps to be first option there.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BDAVEY View Post
    pretty dame good, Matt H will get the number 6 jersey Browny did his ankle this week and is out for 6 weeks and I think oyoung will get the number 9 initially he has a better pass and will make Shehan hungrey for the posiotion. Cowan will be groomed for the number 2 jersey I feel.
    Outside backs is worry not many tacklers out wide Crossy will have to play better to retain his number 13
    Brownie had an ankle op pretty much as soon as he came back from the Wallaby tour.

vCash
    Looking forward to seeing this on the pitch! Solid all around... maybe not spectacular, certainly a side that can keep any match close.. Oh yeah, that Force #7 made the Northern Hemisphere Talking Heads gush praise on the tour, I mean Pocock was consensus MOM v. Wales with just 40 minutes game time....he is what we call a "game-changer/impact player!"

by and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth-george carlin:

vCash
    I'd speculate James would be in the starting XV, most likely 15 at kickoff for the first couple of games with Sheps at wing.

Sheps is probably one of the top two wingers we have at the moment, and his kicking game at full back is pretty shite.

This would mean Harris to start at 12, with James injected into the backline when it suits.

To mix things up abit (and give comfort to TOCC), in the course of the game you could move James to 12, Sam to 13, Cross to 14, Sheps to 15.

vCash
    I would play Sheehan - Pretorius - O'Connor - Cross right from the start. Developing good combinations is important. Dont forget how short the season is - 2 blinks and its over. Lets get them working together right from the start.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Hi Todd and welcome aboard.
    I certainly agree re combinations, it makes me nervous when Coach are "trying things" during the season.
    It is one thing I always look at in an International team is how often the critical pairs/trios have played together at Provincial level.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    I'd speculate James would be in the starting XV, most likely 15 at kickoff for the first couple of games with Sheps at wing.
    I tend to agree, though he may ease him into the side for the first couple of games while the side finds it's rythm (hopefully). You don't go through hoops like they did to hold on to a player like JOC just to use him off the bench. In Super Rugby he will gradually find the consistency and maturity he still lacks at the top level.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    1. Matt Dunning
    2. Ben Whittaker
    3. Tim Fairbrother
    4. Tom Hockings
    5. Nathan Sharpe
    6. Matt Hodgson
    7. David Pocock
    8. Richard Brown
    9. Brett Sheehan
    10. Andre Pretorius
    11. Mark Bartholomeusz
    12. Josh Tatapu?
    13. Ryan Cross
    14. Cameron Shepheard
    15. James O ' Conner

vCash
    This is the starting XV that inside rugby put up for the force:

1. Pek Cowan
    2. Ben Whittaker.
    3. Matt Dunning
    4. Richard Stanford.
    5. Nathan Sharpe
    6. Matt Hodgson
    7. David Pocock
    8. Richard Brown
    9. Brett Sheehan
    10. Andre Pretorius
    11. Mark Baerholomeusz
    12. Sam Harris
    13. Ryan Cross
    14. Cameron Shepherd.
    15. James O'Conner.

I'm not really familiar with Mark and Sam in the backs and I'd probably start Tim and Matt as our starting props bring on Pek as an impact prop.

vCash

No. 8's Two Cents

1 Matt Dunning
    2 Ben Whittaker
    3 Tim Fairbrother
    4 Tom Hockings
    5 Nathan Sharpe
    6 Matt Hodgson
    7 David Pocock
    8 Richard Brown

9 Brett Sheehan
    10 Andre Pretorius
    11 Cameron Shepherd
    12 Sam Harris
    13 Ryan Cross
    14 Haig Sare
    15 James O'Connor

16 Pekahou Cowan
    17 Nic Henderson
    18 Sam Wykes
    19 Richard Stanford
    20 Chris O'Young
    21 Josh Tatupu
    22 Mark Bartholomeusz

Brother Gallagher I hear you

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    For those who think certain players may carry some weight in their preference of playing position, if still current this may have some impact on selections this season.

From James O'Connor RUPA Interview post Spring Tour 2008:

You seem to be very versatile; what is your preferred position?

At the moment I like playing 12 (inside centre). I played at fullback against the Barbarians, but to be honest I like being closer to the action in both attack and defence. In order, I’d choose 12 (inside centre), then 10 (stand-off), then 15 (fullback).

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    how is that one dimensional?

Giteau and O'connor are very similar players.. so if anything our back line was previously more one-dimensional than it is as above... Pretorius is completely different... and Harris and Cross are different yet again...

i agree with O'connor as super sub at worst 15 if he is going to start.. but id expect Sheps to be first option there.
    Giteau and O'Connor are actually very mulit-dimensional players, as in they carry a bit more of a unpredictability to them then what pretorius-harris-cross offer, they can be ball-players, runners and the kicking game.

Pretorius-Harris-Cross are all players who play a very similar one dimensional game, Pretorius isnt your ball-player 5/8, his a kicker, and harris and cross arent ball-playing centres either, they are going one direction and thats in a straight line.

Now thats a 10man rugby backline if ive ever seen one, thats fine, but 10man rugby hasnt won S14 rugby ever, 10man rugby takes years of discipline and experience, not exactly suited for the S14.

You add in JOC to that team and he offers a genuine ball playing option, he also adds unpredictability because he has the step.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast