0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Talking

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    faaaaaaaaaaaaaaarkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry
    faaaaaaaaaaaaaaarkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

My thoughts exactly
    Farrout!

Champion
    vCash
    More info please!!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I have spent the last 3 hours trying to find a website with more information. nothing

Channel 9 News Sydney announced it. Sky News Australia (Foxtel) also quoted it

Giteau is to get $6 Million dollars over 5 years. At $1.2 Million per year He is the highest paid Australian Footballer of any code(League, AFL or Union) in a local competition.

Thats all I have - more to come when I, or anyone else can find it.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Giteau's signature leads the way west

Burgs:
    I've said all along that I will get excited when I see Gits confirm it to the media but here is an update via the Australian.
    The added excitment is the reported "package deal" of players in "Queensland Reds outside back Drew Mitchell, NSW Waratahs second-rower Al Kanaar and Brumbies number eight Jone Tawake" although for mine it is a delicate balance to not disregard the fine work of the likes of Hilgendorf, Staniforth, Graham and Shepherd this season by pushing them back into bench positions by trying to be too greedy.
    However, if true, I will be there with you all chearing on the wing the new Force players!

Giteau's signature leads the way west

Bret Harris and Margie McDonald
    April 22, 2006

WALLABIES inside centre Matt Giteau's signing with the Western Force is set to attract a group of star players to the Super 14 expansion team.
    Although an official announcement is expected over the weekend, an informed source has told The Weekend Australian Giteau signed a three-year deal with the Force yesterday.

It is understood a third-party sponsorship negotiated by Giteau's manager Greg Keenan will see him earn around $900,000 a year in Perth -- putting him on par with rugby league's Andrew Johns and the highest paid players in the AFL.

Giteau is believed to be the key component of a proposed package deal, which includes Queensland Reds outside back Drew Mitchell, NSW Waratahs second-rower Al Kanaar and Brumbies number eight Jone Tawake.

The addition of Giteau, Mitchell, Kanaar and Tawake would make a tremendous difference to the Force, which has not won a game but has been competitive in almost all of its matches.

Mitchell had indicated he was prepared to leave Queensland to chase his ambition of playing fullback, something he cannot do while Chris Latham is at the Reds.

The Brumbies are also very keen on Mitchell and it would be a double blow if they missed out on him because Giteau was going to the Force.

The Waratahs would be devastated if they lost Kanaar to the Force.

Kanaar rose from virtual obscurity to the Wallabies last year on his performance for the Waratahs and he is one of the main reasons the dominant NSW pack is playing with so much grunt.

The Waratahs, believing they already had an agreement with Kanaar for a contract extension, have made a formal complaint to the ARU about the Force breaching the recruitment protocols, but The Weekend Australian understands no deal was signed off.

If Tawake, currently sidelined with a dislocated finger, went to the Force, he would be the second Brumbies number eight in two years to join the Perth-based side, following Scott Fava.

While the financial inducement was significant, it is understood Giteau was also attracted to Perth by his friendship with Force halfback Matt Henjak, the beach lifestyle and the promise of a strong team being built in the west in the future.

The Brumbies are resigned to the fact they have lost Giteau.

"I spoke to Matt last night," Brumbies chief executive Andrew Fagan said.

"He was still undecided.

"The primary issue is that he wants to remain at the Brumbies but the dollars presented to him in Perth, particularly from the corporate sector, are so significant that he is finding it difficult to turn them down."

The Waratahs had made Giteau their top priority and they will also be deeply disappointed he is going west.

"There's lots of talk of funny money being involved there," Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie said.

"We've made an honest offer and we haven't changed our situation.

"So, if he ends up not coming here, it's because there's obviously a substantial financial offer somewhere else.

"It won't be about program or other things and I'm philosophical about that.

"As much as I like good players, you've got to respect the financial capacities of the organisation. We've been to the wall, so we know what that's like and it's a long way back, so we're determined to make good decisions."

McKenzie is expected to pursue Queensland inside centre Lloyd Johannson after missing out on Giteau and is still hopeful of St George Illawarra Dragons centre Mark Gasnier crossing over.

"I've always got things going. We'll have two to three really quality players next year and, to be honest, a lot of my focus at the moment is to make sure we've got players for 2008."

Johannson, who has come off the bench for Queensland this year, was in line to go to Perth if Giteau did not join the Force.

A meeting between Johannson and the Waratahs is expected to be scheduled within the next couple of weeks.

"We are looking at opportunities for next year and the Waratahs are one of our options," Johansson's manager Cameron Douglas said.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Hello Guys
    I have to agree with Burgs here as he has stated below
    I support new players but not at the expense of the guys who have give it there all this season as burgs said the hilgys , the stanners and shepps
    There is room for our great players to step up and I think we should get match time before we sign others maybe a couple of touring sides in the likes of USA Canada and Japan and not be to hasty to spend big money on imports
    I am not against top players coming here but our boys have given it all and they deserve a second season chance

Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    I've said all along that I will get excited when I see Gits confirm it to the media but here is an update via the Australian.
    The added excitment is the reported "package deal" of players in "Queensland Reds outside back Drew Mitchell, NSW Waratahs second-rower Al Kanaar and Brumbies number eight Jone Tawake" although for mine it is a delicate balance to not disregard the fine work of the likes of Hilgendorf, Staniforth, Graham and Shepherd this season by pushing them back into bench positions by trying to be too greedy.
    However, if true, I will be there with you all chearing on the wing the new Force players!

vCash
    Im glad we got Gits too ! but Burgs and mowerman make good points ... it would be sad to see some of the boys get pushed to the bench they have shown last night they can make it in this competition! they have guts and determination so I hope they dont make friends with the bench but none the less welcome aboard Gits!!!

vCash
    Drew Mitchell fullback? We already have a fullback who's at least his equal.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Exactly shasta, I would think Shepherd would see that as a real slap in the face as, although I consider them pretty close, Mitchell would have to start. I doubt Mitchell would come over to play more on the Wing or warm the bench?
    What sort of a message does that send to the boys who have tried so hard this year and really stood up?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    Burgs:
    I think that we should stick with the guys we have now. Al Kanaar would be a good inclusion in the squad, but Shepherd has been awesome this year and should be given another year to shine before we start thinking about getting another fullback.

Also, do we need another number 8 for the squad. I know that it would give us a lot of depth, but do we need Tawake?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by shasta
    Drew Mitchell fullback? We already have a fullback who's at least his equal.
    Very true - this is where we have to put our trust in the club officials making these decisions and hope they do the right thing.

vCash

vCash
    And now it's official!!

We Got Gits!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast