Thread: Govt issues IE security warning

vCash

Govt issues IE security warning

Govt issues IE security warning
    By Emily Bourke for AM

Posted 2 hours 40 minutes ago
    Updated 20 minutes ago

Hacking threat: Microsoft has acknowledged all recent versions of the program are vulnerable (ABC News)

The Federal Government has ramped up warnings about Microsoft's web browser Internet Explorer, which has come under attack from hackers.

The Government is warning that people risk having their computers infiltrated and passwords stolen unless they install temporary fixes from Microsoft or use alternative browsers.

The Government says Microsoft has acknowledged all recent versions of the program are vulnerable.

It also says people should remember to regularly update their security software and change passwords frequently.

The French and German governments have warned internet users in Europe to avoid Microsoft's popular web browser.

The concern follows revelations that hackers used a crack in Internet Explorer to mount an attack on Google and a number of other companies.

Senior lecturer in network engineering at Melbourne's RMIT University, Mark Gregory, says industry and governments are not prepared for the changing threats to cyberspace.

"The digital network is like the wild west. It is unregulated," he said.

"It is being used in ways that it wasn't meant to be used and we need to get organisations, companies and governments ... focused on taking action to make the digital network more secure for the general public."

Bill Caeli, from the Information Security Institute at the University of Queensland, says the Government and regulators must step in to protect internet users.

"How many builders have put smoke detectors in the new homes and houses? How many people have put fences around their pools to protect children?" he said.

"So safety and security has never, ever been market-driven. It's always been driven by regulatory [sic], by society itself, and that's the role of government."

The Government says Microsoft has not solved the security glitch and Australians should use alternative browsers.

Dr Gregory says it is good advice.

"There are other browsers that are available that appear to be being targeted less by the hackers and by these organisations than what Internet Explorer is being targeted," he said.

"I don't think there was any inference in what they said that Internet Explorer was any more deficient in terms of security than any of the other browsers, just that it was being targeted more.

"On that basis you'd have to argue that if security was a principal concern then using another browser would be wise until the incidence is reduced."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...section=justin

---------- Post added at 10:51 ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 ----------

I tried to use 'Google Chrome', but on some sites it says 'no plug ins' installed-
    (So I had a look and found that the cable is plugged into the powerpoint....thus it's beyond my comprehension)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I've been using Google Chrome for some time. It's better than IE, much faster, and isn't the high profile target that Microsoft products have become.

vCash
    The article states The concern follows revelations that hackers used a crack in Internet Explorer to mount an attack on Google. You would think that Google the maker of Chrome that Blackswan loves so much and is so much better than IE would be using their own product.

Watchout Coach, looks like you may soon be out of a job since the government is getting into the IT business.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post
    The article states The concern follows revelations that hackers used a crack in Internet Explorer to mount an attack on Google. You would think that Google the maker of Chrome that Blackswan loves so much and is so much better than IE would be using their own product.

Watchout Coach, looks like you may soon be out of a job since the government is getting into the IT business.
    Yes, LNJ, that's bizarre! I tried google chrome after reading a few of the comments that suggested it was better than IE. Maybe it is impregnable!??!

(Someone else in the household must have downloaded it because the icon has been on the desktop for ages....)

Anyhow, I had a go with google chrome (via the icon on the desk top), and it took me to google, (hmm promising start thinks normie), I went to put in another vote for Burgs' comrade in farms, and B^&%$# the voting bit didn't work; with a message saying it needed to be plugged into something, (or words to that effect) so I'm back to using IE.

---------- Post added at 14:27 ---------- Previous post was at 14:25 ----------

DOH! I'm actually using google chrome, as it has become the default browser!!!

Last edited by normie; 19-01-10 at 14:40.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    I use mozilla firefox

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    I use mozilla firefox
    Aren't they movies?!!?

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by normie View Post
    Aren't they movies?!!?
    probably

vCash
    [quote=LarryNJ;239703]The article states The concern follows revelations that hackers used a crack in Internet Explorer to mount an attack on Google. You would think that Google the maker of Chrome that Blackswan loves so much and is so much better than IE would be using their own product.
    QUOTE]
    Google as a search engine just uses IE as a platform. Google chrome works independently as both search engine and platform but the platform bit was only developed relatively recently. As a platform it is tailored to the needs of the integrated search engine and hence works faster.

The hackers caused the trouble because they were targeting IE, Google was just the vehicle they used to cause the trouble. As the article states, it's not that IE is any less 'secure' it's just that the hackers have not been focussed on Chrome.

Anyhow, I had a go with google chrome (via the icon on the desk top), and it took me to google, (hmm promising start thinks normie), I went to put in another vote for Burgs' comrade in farms, and B^&%$# the voting bit didn't work; with a message saying it needed to be plugged into something, (or words to that effect) so I'm back to using IE.
    Just download and install the required plug-in. Even that is easier in Chrome

vCash
    No one is going to get hacked, but IE is crap so if you can be bothered its better to switch to firefox or chrome anyway. They both have their bonus'.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    I use mozilla firefox
    Same. With Opera for backup.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Lynx is the way to go, prety much guaranteed hacker free. TWF even looks good on it!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackswan View Post
    Google as a search engine just uses IE as a platform. Google chrome works independently as both search engine and platform but the platform bit was only developed relatively recently. As a platform it is tailored to the needs of the integrated search engine and hence works faster.

The hackers caused the trouble because they were targeting IE, Google was just the vehicle they used to cause the trouble. As the article states, it's not that IE is any less 'secure' it's just that the hackers have not been focussed on Chrome.
    I undersand the point that hackers target IE more often because so many more people us it. I don't understand the Google as a search engine uses IE as a platform and google was just the vehicle. I read the article as Google's corporate offices were attacked along with others because of IE.
    The concern follows revelations that hackers used a crack in Internet Explorer to mount an attack on Google and a number of other companies.

Whatever the problem is the government should stay out of the way. They are already involved and regulate way to many things that they have no business being in. (I'm speaking about ours)

---------- Post added at 07:23 ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Lynx is the way to go, prety much guaranteed hacker free. TWF even looks good on it!

TWF looks good with everything!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    I have to agree coach.