One I imagine Rod Macqueen would be running an eye over.

Australia's Kiwi sevens wizard

By MICHAEL FOX - Rugbyheaven Last updated 14:08 03/02/2010

The Aussies are renowned for spotting Kiwi rugby talent and luring them across the Tasman - and a talented young sevens player from Christchurch is one of the latest.

Brackin Karauria-Henry, 21, is now playing rugby for Australia, one of several Kiwis turning out at the NZI Sevens this weekend for other countries.

After signing with the Cronulla Sharks as a 16-year-old in 2006 and leaving Christchurch for Australia for a crack at a lucrative career in league, Karauria-Henry says he eventually hankered for a switch back to union.

"Things didn't really go my way in rugby league so I thought I'd have a crack and see how I go."

"It's gone good."

Having played rugby as a schoolboy, he said he didn't find the change too difficult.

His fast start was curtailed by a broken hand suffered at the start of last year but after impressing in a couple of sevens tournaments, his career has flourished.

"Things have started happening. I got a trial and got in the team. It's gone pretty quick."

The second-five eighth is currently in the Brumbies academy and is aiming for a Super 14 contract in 2011 but says he has his sights set on the Commonwealth Games in India later this year.

The former Canterbury age-group representative admits to some nerves ahead of Friday when he will run out in front of his parents, uncles and aunties and nana, as well as 35,000 other fans crammed into a Westpac Stadium to watch.

"This is the tournament where I want to play well in front of my family and friends."

Karauria-Henry says the Australian side has been together for a while now and were confident as they attempt to break a nine-year drought in Wellington.

While he was born in Auckland and grew up in Christchurch, attending Christchurch Boys, he now speaks with an Australian twang and is proud to represent his adopted home where he has settled with his partner.

"She's an Aussie and all her family's pretty happy," he said.

He didn't expect to be too concerned when he came up against New Zealand.

"I'll be right," he said. "I play for Aussie now so it's not really a big deal."

Australia kick off their Wellington campaign against Papua New Guinea at 2.50pm on Friday.