Thread: Brumbies Take Inaugural Honors at ME Bank Stadium

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Brumbies Take Inaugural Honors at ME Bank Stadium

The Brumbies overcame some anxious moments to prevail 24-15 over Western Force in the first Australian derby of the Super 14 season.

On a night when Brumbies veteran Stirling Mortlock passed 1000 career points in Super Rugby, the ACT side scored three tries to none to secure their first win over the Force since 2007.

Not even an outstanding display from Man of the Match, James O’Connor, could get his team over the line. O’Connor kicked five penalties from his six attempts, regularly gained plenty of territory with his raking punts, and was electric with ball in hand.

Injury hit the home side both before and during the game. Cameron Shepherd was a late withdrawal after feeling tightness in his quadriceps during the warm-up. Haig Sare, who was called into the 22-man squad when Mark Bartholomeusz pulled out of the squad today, took Shepherd’s position on the left wing. Richard Brown was replaced in the second half after suffering an apparent arm injury.

Force Man of the Match, James O'Connor
    Images by Perth Sports Photography
    The boys in blue defended stoutly, especially during the second half, as the Brumbies dominated territory and possession after the break.

Former Force scrumhalf Josh Valentine opened the scoring in the 11th minute, when he finished a brilliant breakout instigated by front rowers Stephen Moore and Ben Alexander, with George Smith throwing the final pass while lying on the grass.

James O’Connor responded for the home side, slotting a penalty to narrow the gap to 7-3.

Another piercing run from the ruck base led to Moore strolling over untouched from 25m out. Mortlock’s conversion gave him exactly 1000 career Super Rugby points, and gave his side a 14-3 lead.

O’Connor again cut the margin, with his three penalty goals – each from more than 30m out – taking the score to 14-12, and it remained that way when referee Steve Walsh blew the half time whistle.

Mortlock opened the scoring in the second half when he made Nathan Sharpe pay for his infringement at the ruck by kicking the subsequent penalty. O’Connor responded with his fifth penalty ten minutes later to make the score 17-15.
    Mortlock Lines up for his 1000th SUper Point
    Mortlock Lines up for his 1000th Super Point
    Images by Perth Sports Photography

A sweeping move down the left hand side by the Brumbies was finished by replacement Huia Edmonds, who bumped off a tackler before crashing over. Mortlock’s conversion took his points tally for the match to nine, and his career tally to 1005.

O’Connor, Matt Hodgson, Sharpe and new vice-captain David Pocock performed strongly for the home side, while the visitors were well served by Adam Ashley-Cooper, Moore, Alexander and Matt Toomua.

The Emirates Western Force will now travel to Wellington to play the Hurricanes on Saturday, 20 February.

BY THE CLOCK
    11th min – Try to the Brumbies scored by Josh Valentine. Converted by Stirling Mortlock. Brumbies lead 7-0.
    17th min – Penalty goal kicked by James O'Connor. Brumbies lead 7-3.
    19th min – Try to the Brumbies scored by Stephen Moore. Converted by Mortlock. Brumbies lead 14-3.
    24th min – Penalty goal kicked by O’Connor. Brumbies lead 14-6.
    25th min – Penalty goal kicked by O’Connor. Brumbies lead 14-9.
    31st min – Penalty goal kicked by O’Connor. Brumbies lead 14-12.
    HALF TIME: Emirates Western Force 12 Brumbies 14
    41st min – Tim Fairbrother replaces Matt Dunning
    44th min – Penalty goal kicked by Mortlock. Brumbies lead 17-12.
    54th min – Penalty goal kicked by O’Connor. Brumbies lead 17-15.
    62nd min – Chris O’Young replaces Brett Sheehan.
    64th min – Ben McCalman replaces Richard Brown.
    72nd min – Try to the Brumbies scored by Huia Edmonds. Converted by Mortlock. Brumbies lead 24-15.
    74th min – Richard Stanford replaces Sam Wykes.
    79th min – Mitch Inman replaces Haig Sare.
    FULL TIME: Emirates Western Force 15 Brumbies 24
    Emirates Western Force 15 (O’Connor 5 pens)
    Brumbies 24 (Valentine, Moore, Edmonds tries; Mortlock 3 cons, 1 pen)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Night of the slippery Hookers they'll call it... AKA Pek, Squeak and Huia all had good matches.

The game was more slippery than the winter olympics... JO'C played his role well bar soft his trackle on Edmonds try.

Pek did Ok for a first time S14 hooker so it looks like the Mitch has solved the no hooker issue. Hodgo was my Force man of the match, he chased every thing down all night, excellent effort. i also though Sam Wykes work was solid best I've seen him. Cross was courageous obviously playing with injury...

Overall a very messy game, I'm sure both squad can do better in weeks to come...

Brumbies blew the opportunity late in the match for a bonus point try which could haunt them at the end of the season.

Veteran
    vCash
    yes, brumbies should really have put a couple more on us, however, the work of the forward really did disrupt their play, so sorta encouraging... need a new back line though...

vCash
    The Brumbies deserved the win, but we were certainly not helped by the 'assistant referees' who appeared to be mute. There were several offences clearly visible on the non-grandstand side of the ground which were not picked up, and a big clearance kick was judged to be straight out when it bounced in by about two foot (60cms to the younger readers.) Overall, given the late changes, I think we did very well, especially in the forwards. I would like to see JO'C move to number 10 sooner rather than later with Cam at full back.

Whoever played the music had a sense of humour, I particularly liked the snatch of music after the Brumbies missed kicks, the Stones 'You can't always get what you want'. Unfortunately at the end of the game the brumbies did in fact get what they wanted.

Loved the crowded stadium, I swear that our flimsy seats high in the new stand were swaying in the breeze but they make a good noise when you stamp your feet and the view is great. Now, if we can just improve the weak beer and the woeful teriyaki chicken rolls ....

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

Douglas Adams

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Greydemon View Post
    The Brumbies deserved the win, but we were certainly not helped by the 'assistant referees' who appeared to be mute. There were several offences clearly visible on the non-grandstand side of the ground which were not picked up, and a big clearance kick was judged to be straight out when it bounced in by about two foot (60cms to the younger readers.) .

hows the final attack the force attempted that got disrupted by a mortlock tackle who then contunued to hang on and win a penalty. What happened to first tackler releasing and rolling away and rewardng attacking rugby. the ref was poor but the force backs did a good job losing the game on their own.

vCash
    Good game by the Brums, credit where it's due, they had enough and managed to release the ball from some massive forward domination to their quicker and slicker backs.

I didn't like the breakdown at all, sure it was quicker ball but it'll only take a week befor you'll see no counterrucking at all and we're playing rugby league. It was a real lottery at some stages and a lot was missed.

I thought Dunnig did OK against Shepherdson but his mouth made Shepherdson look good to Walsh. Shep was diving at the ground and bending his back from the third scrum, whether that caused donut to fold in or whether Shep started it I dunno, but you can't pack properly against that!

We need to find a better 10, Harry'll be OK as a utility or a strong 12, but a 10 he isn't.

And haig needs the hook. Josh gave him the ball between the tramlines with nobody around for a good 5 metres, Pekka could've scored that one!

C'mon the

vCash
    Does anyone know the attendance figures? My guess would be about 17,500 but I would like to know the official number.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

Douglas Adams

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I am not entirely sure they will have an official number. When my card was scanned the scanner made what sounded like a "fail" sound. I asked him if it worked ok and he waved me in.

vCash
    I wouldn't be too hard on Haig - he's been injured (still carrying it) and obviously wasn't up to full speed or fitness.

We definately need some help in the backs. The line-up was: Sheehan (1st game for the Force), Harris (inside centre playing out of position -3rd string fly-half), Sare (injured), Tatapu (only 3rd start), Cross (injured), Haylett-Petty (only 5th Super cap), and O'Connor. Given that set of backs the Brumbies should be worried that they didn't put more points on us.

Apart from O'Young the only other uninjured backs we have are: Hunt, Inman, Rapana, Swanepoel and Turner. Total Super experience = 0.

If Bart can't make it back, then if I was Mitch I'd consider moving O'Connor to 10 and Harris back to 12, keep Crossy at 13 (if fit), Tatapu on one wing, Haylett-Petty at full-back and the quickest rookie on the other wing until Cummins or Sare are fit. Do we still have a spare space in the squad, and can we sign someone?

vCash
    fair enough ... I rate Haig on his 2009 season...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    And haig needs the hook. Josh gave him the ball between the tramlines with nobody around for a good 5 metres, Pekka could've scored that one!
    You're not wrong, he had daylight in front of him and still got caught by an old timer who should be on a zimmer frame!

Looking at it from a glass half full persepctive even losing bonus points are important and that try would have given us just that

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    fair enough ... I rate Haig on his 2009 season...
    He was slow then too Muddy!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    He was slow then too Muddy!
    Yep...