Thread: Tyro O'Connor perfect for flyhalf position at Western Force

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Tyro O'Connor perfect for flyhalf position at Western Force

CORNERED and with no easy solution to solving their playmaking problems, Emirates Western Force coach John Mitchell has little choice but to roll the dice and play teenage tyro James O'Connor at flyhalf.

Before a near-capacity crowd of 22,000 at their new rectangular home, ME Bank Stadium, O'Connor's silky skills and clinical kicking was all that kept the Force in the game in the 24-15 loss to the Brumbies on Friday night.
    if they need me to play 10, I will take it with both hands

If it were not for O'Connor, whose five penalties were kicked from distance and acute angles, the atmosphere at the Force's new home would have been deathly quiet.

Instead, and in contrast to Subiaco Oval, the home crowd was able to demonstrate vocal support in close surrounds until Huia Edmond's late try extinguished the Force's belligerence and that of their fans.

Against the tide of a Brumbies side that controlled territory and dominated possession, Force flyhalf Sam Harris was unable to relieve pressure with his boot or accurate enough to scramble the visitors defence in mortar-bomb fashion.

The Force never looked like scoring tries, while holes in their defence were exposed by Ben Alexander, a prop, Christian Lealiifano, Josh Valentine and Stirling Mortlock.

O'Connor, the Force's best playmaker, was limited to rare sorties out wide playing from fullback and needs to come closer to the action to ignite a backline that was sterile.

Harris had a thankless task being rushed into first five-eighth following injuries to first choice Andre Pretorius, and his replacement, Mark Bartholomeusz, in the space of a week.

But O'Connor, in spite of his 19-years, looks like the only playmaker able to create space and sow chaos.

More importantly, he is prepared to take on the responsibility of the No. 10 jumper.
    "I was happy with my kicking, having done a fair bit of preparation all season," O'Connor said.

"But yeah, I was disappointed with the last strike, which I took a bit quick.

"That maybe would have made it a different ball game.

"I am happy to play anywhere the team needs me and would be comfortable at 10 if I get the call there.

"I think we've got a few good players, like Stefano Hunt, and I've got all confidence in Sammy.

"He had a few touch kicks, but really showed defensively and on attack what he offers with go-forward ball.

"If it comes down to it we have still got Stefano Hunt in the pocket.

"He has got some flair and is a good player. I would be happy for him to feed me wide. But like I said, if they need me to play 10, I will take it with both hands."

Mitchell has said that O'Connor would switch between 12 and 15, depending on the opposition.

However, against the Hurricanes in Wellington this Saturday, the Force need to create tries as no team can keep relying on penalties to keep them in contention.

Nineteen-year-olds are regarded as old enough to fight wars and O'Connor, now in his third season of Super rugby, has already fronted up to the All Blacks and Springboks at Test level without wilting.

By contrast, Hunt has yet to start a Super 14 game.

And that is why the Force need to be bold and take the risky decision of handing O'Connor the playmaking reins.

"This is my third season and I definitely feel I have grown and matured more into a leadership role," he said.

With nothing to lose, the Force should play their ace now before it is too late.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/tyr...-1225830073228

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "a near-capacity crowd of 22,000"

I find that very hard to believe, must have been a lot of people in toilet and bar lines as there was a lot of empty seats.

"If it were not for O'Connor, whose five penalties were kicked from distance and acute angles," ...somone else would have been taking the kicks, lets not get too carried away on that, as good as the kicks were.

"O'Connor, the Force's best playmaker, was limited to rare sorties out wide playing from fullback and needs to come closer to the action to ignite a backline that was sterile."

Agreed, the backline was "sterile" but I would argue that JO'C's best is when he has that width, something both he and Gits lose if/when they come in to #10.

"With nothing to lose, the Force should play their ace now before it is too late."

FFS, it's ROUND 1!!!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion
    vCash
    How long has JOC signed for ???

vCash
    Two years I think

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Long term they said in the book.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "It's feeling like home" he said pre match...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.