Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stormers out coached by Friend

vCash

Lightbulb Stormers out coached by Friend

Brumbies to revert to attacking style for Super 14 match against the LionsBy

March 01, 2010 After adopting conservative tactics in their 19-17 win against the Stormers, the Brumbies will revert to their natural attacking game against the Lions in Canberra on Friday night.

The Lions upset the Brumbies in Johannesburg last year, but they have lost their first three games of this season to the Stormers, Chiefs and Hurricanes in high-scoring affairs.

With seven of their remaining 10 games in Canberra, the Brumbies will be keen to resume their traditional expansive style of game.

"I've only seen them (the Lions) play last week," Brumbies captain Stephen Hoiles said.

"They like to score a lot of points obviously.

"We'll probably try to play a bit more football. We just knew the way the Stormers were (so) we had to grind it out.

"If you throw the ball around and don't respect them, they will punish you - the likes of Jaque (Fourie) and Bryan (Habana), who are great at scoring tries at the drop of a hat."

Brumbies coach Andy Friend decided to play a tight game against the Stormers after watching the South African side beat New South Wales Waratahs 27-6 in Cape Town the previous week.

The Stormers' strong defence held the Waratahs try-less, while Habana scored two of their three tries.

But Habana became so frustrated against the Brumbies he gave away a spate of penalties, while Fourie was hardly seen out wide.

"We watched the Waratahs throw a fair bit at them last week and didn't seem to be able to break them," Friend said.

"We thought, too, in watching the way they played they were pretty keen to play in certain areas of the field, but not so keen to play in other areas of the field so we wanted to make sure we kept them in areas we didn't want to play footy in.

"It came down to patience really. That was one of the pleasing aspects.

"They stuck to what we said we wanted to do as a group."

With the scoreline locked at 6-6 at half-time, Friend predicted the match would be determined by a moment of brilliance and he was proved correct when veteran Brumbies openside flanker George Smith scored an intercept try in the 77th minute to put the visitors in front, 19-12.

But he said the Brumbies still needed to improve their discipline, which had cost them the previous week against the Bulls in Pretoria.

Once again, the Brumbies were penalised heavily at the scrum, maul and breakdown.

"It's a key area we've got to fix," Friend said. "We need to be more disciplined and we need to have a look at what it is we are doing that's incurring the wrath of the referees."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...002381,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    out coached ?.... i thought the brumbies won due to a non awarded try that was clearly a try.....

vCash
    Nup… ball was out in goal... TMO picked it straight away...

Taking refs.... What about the Stormers players with the ball disengaging from the back of the rolling maul then reconnecting? The Refs really need to take a closer look at the attacking team during the rolling mauls. It appears they just police the defending team. The Refs assistants could watch this easily. This happens often with SA teams and they just get away with it, especially with a SA Refs…

Refs also need to police guys like Stormers replacement captain Andreas Bekker faking injury, lying down repeatedly slowing down the match while he is getting fresh reports from his coach via the water boys mic/headset... Typical SA sportsmanship...

An outstanding job Friend and team did no the Stormers... On the weekend, they expected the Brumbies to play to their strengths...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Refs also need to police guys like Stormers replacement captain Andreas Bekker faking injury, lying down repeatedly slowing down the match while he is getting fresh reports from his coach via the water boys mic/headset... Typical SA sportsmanship...
    and this is the first time you've ever seen anybody do this?

C'mon the

vCash

Stupid thing to say Muddie
    it even happens in Junior rugby So welcome to reality it has been like that for as long as I have been watching rugby

You guys won the match and still complain how small can you get

Apprentice
    vCash

With the scoreline locked at 6-6 at half-time, Friend predicted the match would be determined by a moment of brilliance and he was proved correct when veteran Brumbies openside flanker George Smith scored an intercept try in the 77th minute to put the visitors in front, 19-12.
    "Moment of brilliance"? Give me a break! I'll go along with "moment of arse" or "moment of carelessness by the opposition", but an intercept is hardly brilliance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pieter blackie View Post
    Stupid thing to say Muddie
    it even happens in Junior rugby So welcome to reality it has been like that for as long as I have been watching rugby

You guys won the match and still complain how small can you get
    Pieter that’s unlike you to be so boorish… really there’s no need for your “stupid” innuendo… I'll take it that your having a bad day...

we’re just talking rugby… Furthermore it’s not about being small after a win either, it’s about discussing the fair application of the laws.

Clearly the policing of rolling maul is something which has bothered me like others for quite sometime and could easily be improved.

The Stormers like the Bulls are using rather a lot of rolling maul plays and if they’re not pulled up they will continue to do it erroneously.

Its just highlights poor refereeing especially when we are currently seeing Refs focusing on the literal interpretation to key laws this season. I know it’s a SA crowd favourite but really has to be applied within the spirit of the laws. SA Refs and assistant refs seem to be very neglectful around this rule.

---------- Post added at 11:55 ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
    "Moment of brilliance"? Give me a break! I'll go along with "moment of arse" or "moment of carelessness by the opposition", but an intercept is hardly brilliance.
    Bruiser…. the Brumbies applied team pressure and the Stormers responded by throwing a silly passes in the 77th minute and gave up a try... increasing the pressure on an opposition inthe last 10 minutes is what often wins the tight matches… The Stormers fell a part under pressure... lost their cape town cool...

Great players know where to be and George Smith was there to pick up the match winning points...

---------- Post added at 12:32 ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    and this is the first time you've ever seen anybody do this?
    no but its crap sportsmanship... Refs should be onto it big time... Definatily not the first time I've seen a Rassie Erasmus coached team sit down on the field and waste time... I do Remember the Cheetahs first tour out here! what a joke, they spent every second set piece lying on the grass... stopping proceedings...

Last edited by mudskipper; 01-03-10 at 12:41.

Apprentice
    vCash
    Bruiser…. the Brumbies applied team pressure and the Stormers responded by throwing a silly passes in the 77th minute and gave up a try... increasing the pressure on an opposition inthe last 10 minutes is what often wins the tight matches… The Stormers fell a part under pressure... lost their cape town cool...

Great players know where to be and George Smith was there to pick up the match winning points...
    Muddy, I agree completely with what you're saying, but to describe what George did as a "moment of brilliance" as the journo suggests Andy Friend said is ridiculous. As I recall it was very much a regulation intercept anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
    Muddy, I agree completely with what you're saying, but to describe what George did as a "moment of brilliance" as the journo suggests Andy Friend said is ridiculous. As I recall it was very much a regulation intercept anyway.
    yep that’s a journos beat up... but George saw the moment and grabbed it. I thought the Stormers 12 would have caught him but he had just enough pace to avoid the tackle... I think the Stormers 12 actually ran a poor cover defence line because that kid has some serious pace.

I look at it as George Smith doing a Brian Habana... justice occasionally smiles on the worthy...

vCash
    For once I agree with mud re the need to police the maul better. Don't agree with singling out any one team or nation, though. Another area that needs a look is where the detached pod continues to hold the defenders, not allowing them to rejoin correctly. Blatant obstruction every time.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Pieter that’s unlike you to be so boorish… .
    Boorish, I think that's really funny! Pieter, apologies if it is insensitive, but it is funny.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Boorish, I think that's really funny! Pieter, apologies if it is insensitive, but it is funny.
    I dont think Muddy intended the pun

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    I dont think Muddy intended the pun

Time for milking, pilgrim...

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    the good,the bad,the muddy

vCash

Time for milking, pilgrim...
    NO NO NO!!!! PUN slinger, not GUN slinger.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast