Thread: Flying Red Quade Cooper sets course for Perth

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Flying Red Quade Cooper sets course for Perth

QUADE Cooper, the enfant terrible of rugby and in scintillating form for the Reds this season, has every reason to put the Emirates Western Force to the sword in Brisbane today, because that would further his prospects of signing with the Perth club next season.

Cooper, 21, arrested and charged with housebreaking at Surfers Paradise in December, has put his off-field traumas aside and from the first round of this year's Super 14 has led the charge of a revitalised Reds side.

Today he will have All Black David Hill, making his debut for the Force, in his crosshairs and he'll have every reason to make coach John Mitchell sit up and take notice.

The rugby grapevine has been abuzz with word that the Force is looking closely at Cooper to fill the critical flyhalf berth next season that has bedevilled them ever since Matt Giteau signed with the Brumbies.

Cooper confirmed yesterday that he was coming off contract with the Reds at the end of the season, but wouldn't say whether the Force had been in touch with him.

"I can't talk about my manager's job. It's his business to worry about it and mine to focus on football and the things I can control, like turning up for training and doing my best for the team. It's a long season and right now the Reds are my priority," he said.

If a Wallaby side was selected on Super 14 form tomorrow Cooper would walk into the starting line-up along with his halfback hunting partner Will Genia. The two have played together from under-16 level.

Having stuck by their troubled star, Cooper has repaid the Reds' loyalty with focus and dedication this season.

"It's no secret and a lot to do with attitude that we've taken not only into games, but also to training and attention to detail off the field," he said. "A lot of the boys have stepped up in attitude and that has been a vital factor in our improvement."

Cooper has never played against Hill but remembers watching the 30-year-old playing for the Chiefs when he was still at school.

"No one who plays for the All Blacks is average. He is an awesome talent who has been around for a while with experience that is needed and will be good for young James (O'Connor) to feed off," he said.

Finding his rhythm with a new inside back combination will be half of Hill's battle today.

Stepping up from Japanese rugby to Super rugby, a competition Hill last played in 2006, will be his other challenge.

"Obviously its going to be a different pace and physicality, but Ive worked as hard as in previous years and the body's good," Hill said.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/fly...-1225840412946

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    If Cooper joins the force I will seriously consider supporting another team

He has just been trouble

If they recruit Cooper they might as well bring Henjak back and give him back pay for the time he was gone

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    He won't come to the Force.

I wouldn't be surprised that this latest incident has woken him up to the consequences of behaving like a douche.

I wouldn't mind if he came to the Force. Would still prefer Hilgendorf + someone else who is a competent 10.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    He has mates here but he has a pairing with Australia's #1 scrummy, why jeopardise that?!
    The quote is hardly substantial proof either way, he could have been responding to any question about recruitment/contracts/pay.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pieter blackie View Post
    If Cooper joins the force I will seriously consider supporting another team

He has just been trouble

If they recruit Cooper they might as well bring Henjak back and give him back pay for the time he was gone
    If you knocked back a talent like Cooper, you'd be insane.

The whole story smacks of a beat up anyway. You can tell that its contract time.

vCash
    I'm not sure why players just don't say "I'll be signing with the Reds" and leave it at that. The managers can wheel and deal behind closed doors.

The Force should look at Ben Lucas who is in QLD and seems out of favour. He is a 10 who plays 9 as well. He's a good player and can't get a go with QLD

vCash
    I don't think I'd be terribly chuffed with Quade but like Laura said - What would he be thinking to make him leave that treasure of a scrumhalf? I haven't watched too much of the Reds yet this season, but somehow I feel that Genia is making Quade look good.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    If Cooper came to the Force i would want to upgrade my membership. In the same backline as JOC we would be deadly. (although who would move from QLD to exciting Perth anyway. not much chance of it happening)

i couldn't care less what they do off the field, i'm sure he wouldn't be the worst as well.

vCash
    word is hes already told the reds hes staying .....

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DR GRAFENBURGH View Post
    The Force should look at Ben Lucas who is in QLD and seems out of favour. He is a 10 who plays 9 as well. He's a good player and can't get a go with QLD

I have thought so for a long time