Thread: Desperate Effort Deserved More

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Desperate Effort Deserved More

Emirates Western Force Coach John Mitchell has praised his side’s effort and application as they rebounded from a battering last weekend to narrowly go down to the in-form Waratahs at ME Bank Stadium.

Mitchell backed his players to respond against the Tahs by naming an unchanged run-on side, although one changed was forced just before the game with Mark Bartholomeusz starting at full back following the late withdrawal of Dane Haylett-Petty with an ankle injury.

The Force led by two points at half time and threatened to cross several times late in the game however they were held up by a desperate Waratahs defence. Two penalty goals by the visitors after the break were enough for them to snatch a victory which Mitchell believed could have easily gone the other way.

“I do think the boys (Force) deserved to win that in the end, they hung in there for a long time, got plenty of possession but didn’t get any conversion for that pressure,” said Mitchell.

Staniforth Doing What he Does Best!
    Images by Perth Sports Photography
    “I’m thrilled with the way they threw themselves out there tonight, they gave themselves a chance, a really good chance, and without making excuses I thought they were a little bit unlucky not to come away with the result.”

The opportunity to respond following a poor showing against the Reds couldn’t come quick enough for the playing group and they proved that despite the horrendous injury toll the Force has suffered this season they can more than hold their own on the football field.

“The great thing about tonight is that we threw something at the opposition for a long period of time and we really have something to go from at this point and that is really pleasing,” Mitchell said.

“We had spoken before about probably not working hard enough but we certainly gave ourselves a chance by working hard.

“We take a lot of positives out of tonight, from the way we played as a team and as individuals. We have a real foundation to go from.”

The line-out clicked into gear after stuttering last weekend, as did the defence with players putting their bodies on the line throughout the full 80 minutes.

While the squad can hold their heads high after a hard fought effort they will be hoping to go one step better when they meet the top of the table Bulls at ME Bank Stadium on Saturday night and secure a maiden win in 2010.

“The players gained a lot of self belief in the way that they initiated their performance,” said Mitchell.

“We have seen some things that we’ve been wanting to see for a while but we just really haven’t been able to get through content to be able to get belief in that particular area.

“It showed great character and a lot of men in that changeroom grew up tonight.”

Sharpe Quizzing the Ref
    Images by Perth Sports Photography
    BY THE CLOCK
    2nd min – Penalty Goal kicked by Berrick Barnes. Waratahs lead 3-0.
    10th min – Penalty Goal kicked by James O’Connor. 3-all
    16th min – Try to the Waratahs scored by Drew Mitchell. Not converted. Waratahs lead 8-3.
    25th min – Try to the Emirates Western Force scored by Scott Staniforth. Converted by O’Connor. Emirates Western Force lead 10-8.
    38th min – Tom Hockings replaces Sam Wykes
    HALF TIME: Emirates Western Force 10 Waratahs 8
    56th min – Penalty Goal kicked by Daniel Halangahu. Waratahs lead 11-10.
    62nd min – Mitch Inman replaces Scott Staniforth.
    65th min – Penalty Goal kicked by Halangahu. Waratahs lead 14-10.
    66th min – Ben Whittaker replaces Ryan Tyrrell.
    68th min – Chris O’Young replaces Matt Hodgson (blood).
    69th min – Kieran Longbottom replaces Nic Henderson. Hodgson replaces Brett Sheehan (blood return).

FULL TIME: Emirates Western Force 10 Waratahs 14
    Emirates Western Force 10 (Staniforth try; O’Connor 1/1 con, 1/2 pen, Sheehan 0/1 pens)
    Waratahs 14 (Mitchell try; Barnes 0/1 con, 1/3 pen, Halangahu 2/2 pen)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    My take on the preview for next weeks game against the Bulls.

- Need some larger bodies in the centres for next week to limit the effectiveness of Wynard Olivier. He is very strong ball runner from the second receiver and normally targets the inside defensive channels of 9,10 and 12 (particularly if they are smaller than him). To counter this, I would look at Spanner in 12 and Cross in 13 (even if he isn't in the best form at the moment and look to bring Inman off the bench).

- Start Hocko with Sharpie in the lineout to try and combat Matfield.

- Defense around the rucks will need to be as a uniform line to counter the sniping runs from Fourie de Pruez

- Will probably need to play with the back three a bit deeper in the defensive line to work together in sharing the load of catching all of the bombs that will be kicked by Du Pruez and Steyn. Does the town of Vincent have any air raid sirens?

This game will be difficult but all we need to do is treat this game like the Crusaders game in 2006 - there is nothing to lose except the game.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Was a strange bunch of emotions post match last night.
    I was really bummed for the boys having put in such a hard and skilled 80 to come up short but at the same time was actually delighted with their effort and, in that regard, I didn't care what the scoreboard read, they were all winners for me last night. There was also a small dose of pissed off at a few critical calls in the dying moments that may have cheated us the result and a little excitment about finally having a team to see work together and potentially challenge the Bulls next week.
    Overall though, am really pleased with the effort they all put in and, in comparison to last week, they were all "10's" for me. (Though I marked them according to this one match )

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    if last nights' performance was a hint of what's to come, then BRING IT ON! and watch out Bulls, stormers, highlanders etc coz the force are moving on up. our defence was solid form cummins and joc ( when he managed to hold on ). we need clear space for cummins and spanna (if he stays) to run down the wing and score unless spanna is moved to 12 etc. but highly enjoyed how we played apart from the dumbest ref ever deciding that we werent doing things right and cost us the game.

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    I think it showed alot of guts by John Mitchell to have faith in his boys after a disasterous game in Brisbane...
    I know there are alot of doubting Thomas' out there regarding JM...but perhaps he knows his team and what they can do after all...

I SUPPORT JOHN MITCHELL

C'ARN THE FORCE...BRING IT ON

---------- Post added at 12:13 ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 ----------

What happened to Ryan Cross normally he would have out run any defender with the start he had...

"James O'Connor's conversion gave the Force a 10-8 half-time lead and Barnes almost gave up his second try of the night shortly after the break when Ryan Cross stripped him of the ball and sprinted towards the line.

This time, however, the Tahs' defence was able to scramble back in time to diffuse the situation much to the relief of Barnes. "......

Does he want to be here..is he still injured????

vCash
    got some sweet shots of the game if anyone is interested:

http://twf.com.au/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=261

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    got some sweet shots of the game if anyone is interested:

http://twf.com.au/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=261
    Very sweeeet!

vCash
    does anyone have a recording of the post match interview with sharpie?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    [YOUTUBE]lz8fV8IWtC4[/YOUTUBE]

vCash
    i spotted robyn in the crowd

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    I saw her too!! From a distance, at least

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Excellent title, TG

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill