Thread: Waratahs coach Chris Hickey says Al Baxter has earnt Wallabies recall

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Waratahs coach Chris Hickey says Al Baxter has earnt Wallabies recall

Waratahs coach Chris Hickey says Al Baxter has earnt Wallabies recall

By Adrian Warren
    March 30, 2010 New South Wales Waratahs coach Chris Hickey believes oft-maligned prop Al Baxter is in career-best form and will push for a return to the Wallabies line-up in 2010.
    Australia's most-capped prop with 69 Tests under his belt, Baxter was overlooked for the European spring tour in 2009 and has had his fair share of critics over the years who cite his intermittent problems with scrummaging.

But the 33 year-old, who's set to bring up his 100th Super cap with the Waratahs against the Cheetahs on Saturday, has proven himself against some of the best packs this year according to Hickey.

"I think it's the best football I've seen him play," said Hickey.

"In terms of scrummaging, he scrummaged against some of the best props in the southern hemisphere and I think he's always come out on top in those contests.

"Against the Sharks, he scrummed against two Springboks props and he was the dominant tighthead at the end of the day.

"His work around the park ... he's been really good this year, regularly getting up ten tackles in a game for no misses.

"He's also getting three or four good ball carries for us, so I think he's in the best form that I've actually seen him."

Hickey said on current form and consistency, he believed the selectors would be taking a look at Baxter.

Tighthead prop Baxter had started five of the first six Tests last year but fell out of favour with coach Robbie Deans and didn't figure in the last seven internationals of the season.

Ben Alexander was subsequently converted from a loosehead to fill a tighthead role, the Brumbies prop subsequently starting the last eight Tests of the year in the No.3 jersey.

Baxter described his form as "alright" but was keen to concentrate on the Cheetahs this weekend rather than speculate on resuming his international career.

He said he was wary of the Waratahs being sucked into playing the game style favoured by the 12th-placed Cheetahs, who have won just two out of six matches this season.

"They are big blokes and if you let them play their way, they are a really hard pack to play against," Baxter said.

"I think this week is a lot about discipline, to make sure we play the way we want to play and don't get caught in that South African wrestle."

Hickey said captain and flanker Phil Waugh and No.8 Wycliff Palu remained 50-50 chances to recover from injury in time to face the Cheetahs.

Part of two NSW teams which reached Super finals, Baxter felt the Waratahs had a good chance of being in the mix again this year.

"I think the big thing this year is the close games that in the past we've lost, we've won (in 2010)," said Baxter, referring to four NSW victories by seven points or less in 2010.

Hickey said he was focusing this week at sorting the Waratahs' defensive structure after they conceded four tries to the Blues last Saturday.
    AAP

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...002381,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I will just self edit...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Baxter is gone, long gone and never coming back. Too many better props going around who have development left in them and aren't a bloody liability.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    James, I'd praise that, but we all know that the Selectors would rather pick a has-been Tah than an up-and-coming Force player like Henderson or Fairbrother.

Something to do with the cost of air-fares, wasn't it?

vCash
    The Trestle can carry the drink bottles - they are plastic so it will be OK when he collapses as all good trestles do when weight is applied!

'God invented beer to prevent Props from taking over the world'