Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 'Rabbit' punching above his weight

vCash

'Rabbit' punching above his weight

It looked as though the mentor had deserted his student, but James O'Connor has revelled in the freedom allowed by the off-season departure of Matt Giteau.

He was slated to play centre outside Andre Pretorius to continue his development this year, but the raft of injuries at the start of the season had him installed at full-back and all too often jumping into the line at fly-half in multi-phase plays.

Nicknamed 'rabbit' for his stepping abilities, O'Connor has almost been a revelation at times with his playmaking nous and it looks ever more likely he could slot into the fly-half role on a permanent basis.

"I've definitely matured," the baby-faced 20-year-old told Sportal.

"It's been a big learning curve. Last year Matt Giteau made all the decisions and I played off him. This year, I've jumped into that leadership role and now I understand exactly how the game works."

"The first two seasons [at the Force] I tried to emulate everything he [Giteau] did on and off the field. He was a big part of my rugby. This year I've stepped out and tried to do my own thing. I've enjoyed having that extra pressure and responsibility."

"A big key for me moving to the Force was to play outside Matt Giteau, so when I found out he was leaving it was a tough decision whether I would stay, or try to follow him around. But the Force showed good faith in me and I wanted to return the favour."

O'Connor, who is penned in at the Force until at least the end of the next World Cup, also defended under-fire Force coach John Mitchell, who was accused of pushing Giteau and fellow Wallaby Drew Mitchell out of the Perth-based club during a tempestuous season last year.

"John's an awesome coach. He's direct and tells you exactly how it is," asserted O'Connor.

"There has been a bit of controversy but personally he gives me confidence. When I'd come off the Sevens circuit [2008] and I didn't think I was ready for that level [Super Rugby] he had faith in me and having the backing of an international coach was awesome.

"He always stuck with me when I got into bad habits. He'd give me a kick up the arse and say 'get back to playing your natural game.'

Not only has O'Connor now mastered the arts of full-back and fly-half, he has also proved himself a proficient goal-kicker.

With the team having won the last two matches as some of the injured players return to action, O'Connor is looking forward to a little more freedom as well as some one-on-one testing against the very best.

"We didn't have best game against the Highlanders, but we got the win which shows we are moving in the right direction," the Gold Coast-born flyer said.

"It will be good when we actually open up and unleash as I will get more opportunities for one-on-ones."

As for the prospect of being the last line of defence against the Blues at Eden Park on Saturday with Rene Ranger, Joe Rokocoko and Isaia Toeava charging at you - bring it on.

"It's more excitement [than nerves]. I like playing players that are world-class. You find out what you are made of," he said.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    "It will be good when we actually open up and unleash...

As for the prospect of being the last line of defence against the Blues at Eden Park on Saturday with Rene Ranger, Joe Rokocoko and Isaia Toeava charging at you - bring it on."

Cocky.. just hope he can walk the walk... I reckon the Blues are a lot like the Chiefs if you give them an inch theyll take 80m and with it a bucket load of confidence.. if we smash them early they'll capitulate... Folks like Ranger and Rocochoko thrive on confidence and when their team is up theyre on fire..

We need Sheps, Crossy, Cullet and O'Connor to step up and attack the line from Kick-off and Hodgo and Bambam will need to lift their game to another level to keep the Blues forward pack at bay. This game is going to take all 15 on the pitch to be operating at 120% to win this.

I Have Faith!!

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    You may have noticed the As for the prospect of being the last line of defence against the Blues at Eden Park on Saturday with Rene Ranger, Joe Rokocoko and Isaia Toeava charging at you - bring it on. bit is not in quotes in the original article. It appears to be a thought from the writer of the article.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Reckon that he is doing better under Hill as opposed to competing with Giteau - more freedom for him to experiment and develop different skills

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    "It will be good when we actually open up and unleash...

As for the prospect of being the last line of defence against the Blues at Eden Park on Saturday with Rene Ranger, Joe Rokocoko and Isaia Toeava charging at you - bring it on."

Cocky.. just hope he can walk the walk... I reckon the Blues are a lot like the Chiefs if you give them an inch theyll take 80m and with it a bucket load of confidence.. if we smash them early they'll capitulate... Folks like Ranger and Rocochoko thrive on confidence and when their team is up theyre on fire..

We need Sheps, Crossy, Cullet and O'Connor to step up and attack the line from Kick-off and Hodgo and Bambam will need to lift their game to another level to keep the Blues forward pack at bay. This game is going to take all 15 on the pitch to be operating at 120% to win this.

I Have Faith!!
    The Blues will be fine. If we can smash them for 15 minutes, they'll fold.........any Wallaby will know that, because it's the same with the AllBlacks. The breakdown needs to be a warzone this week, and the backs need to look for the big hits (particularly smashing Brett before he passes)

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post

I Have Faith!!
    We did an excellent job of containing the Stormers' backs who are equally menacing. I reckon the team has come on a bit since then (Pocock back to match fitness, Brown back, Shepherd back, Cummins back, lot more confidence) and if the team comes into it with the same attitude we can take them down.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Senior Player
    vCash
    The game plan needs to be similar to when we beat them at North Harbour 2 years ago - in their faces in defence, and being strong in the tackle with offloads in attack.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeJay View Post
    The game plan needs to be similar to when we beat them at North Harbour 2 years ago - in their faces in defence, and being strong in the tackle with offloads in attack.
    Yep the equation's very simple this week. The team that controls the breakdown wins the game, everything hinges on the speed with which the relative teams can get the ball recycled!

I'd reckon we've got an advantage with our backrow, but their pack isn't exactly full of mugs either, we need #6, #7 and #8 to play out of their skins this week!

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeJay View Post
    That was our first game of that NZ tour and the blues had come off I think 3 away. We kept at them and eventually they tired and we got the lollies that time around, I think it may be a little harder to win this time around.

Also interesting to note that the Captains Run is on Thursday 9am at North Harbour even though the match will be at Eden Park. Must be to do with the upgrade.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    That was our first game of that NZ tour and the blues had come off I think 3 away. We kept at them and eventually they tired and we got the lollies that time around, I think it may be a little harder to win this time around.

Also interesting to note that the Captains Run is on Thursday 9am at North Harbour even though the match will be at Eden Park. Must be to do with the upgrade.
    and it was at North Harbour, which is virtually an away game for the Blues (def hostile territory!)

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    and it was at North Harbour, which is virtually an away game for the Blues (def hostile territory!)
    Yes it was GIGS, and we were so loud in the grandstand the Graham Henry eventually got up and moved away from us, after signing Bert of course!

In fact it was our first win on NZ soil

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post

To be fair though we'd just played 3 games in South Africa before a one game stop over in Perth before going on to NZ. We would have been equally fatigued.

The big difference in that game was that Nick Evans went off injured and their replacement fly-half couldn't control the game. Stephen Brett has been having a few shockers this season so who knows.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Stephen Brett has been having a few shockers this season so who knows.
    Brett is surely the key to this thing.....we won't get to him without disrupting ball, quick line speed, crunching tackles etc but he's the weak link we can capitalise on once we've got all the other stuff sorted!

I'd love to see him continuously hammered by both Hill and Cross in defence with Rabbit taking a fairly consistent first receiver role to give those two the energy to keep smashing him!!!!!!!!

That'd be tasty!

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Nasty bastard aint ya?!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    We did an excellent job of containing the Stormers' backs who are equally menacing. I reckon the team has come on a bit since then (Pocock back to match fitness, Brown back, Shepherd back, Cummins back, lot more confidence) and if the team comes into it with the same attitude we can take them down.
    Bring it on.....!!!
    "The best fans in the world".....will be shouting, willing, our boys to a win....!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast