Thread: Injuries force Brumbies backline shuffle

vCash

Injuries force Brumbies backline shuffle

Injuries force Brumbies backline shuffle
    April 14, 2010 - 5:07pm
    Story by: AAP

Matt Giteau will shift back to his favoured No.10 position in a reshuffled Brumbies backline

Matt Giteau will be shifted back to flyhalf after an injury stricken Brumbies were forced to reshuffle their backline for this Friday's Super 14 clash with the Hurricanes.

The Qantas Wallabies playmaker is looking forward to a return to his favoured position after a poor start to the season saw him shifted to inside centre.

Giteau conceded his form early this season was below par, and that he's had a greater impact since moving to No 12.

But he is also adamant he is on an upward trajectory and is keen for a return closer to the ruck.

"I had a little bit more room (playing at inside centre), so I was able to attack a bit more," he said.

"But I've had a bit more time now.

"I didn't get a real lot of pre-season, I'm not trying to make excuses, but I felt at the start of the year it took me a while to get into it."

Giteau will be joined in a reshaped midfield by Wallabies fullback Adam Ashley-Cooper who will play at outside centre.

The sixth-placed Brumbies have had a horror run with injuries this season and now face a finals tightrope walk without some of their top-line players.

It had been hoped Stirling Mortlock would make a return in Canberra this Friday but the veteran Qantas Wallabies outside centre will remain sidelined with a back injury, while halfback Josh Valentine has also been ruled out with Patrick Phibbs named as his replacement.

Matt Toomua, who has filled in at No.10 since Christian Lealiifano was ruled out for the season several weeks ago with a knee injury, is the latest casualty and is expected to be out for up to a month.

Winger Francis Fainifo is also out with a broken leg.

The Brumbies are also feeling the pain in the forwards with a corked hip ruling lock Mitch Chapman out of clash with the Hurricanes, while George Smith continues to battle a shoulder injury.

The changes to the backline will see Tyrone Smith play off Giteau's shoulder at inside centre, while Alfie Mafi will start on the wing following Ashley-Cooper's move to No 13.

Julian Huxley will again start at fullback in his second run-on appearance since recovering from a brain tumour.

Australian Rugby Sevens representatives James Stannard and leading Australian try-scorer Brackin Karuaria-Henry have been named on the bench.

Giteau said the long injury list would test the side's depth, but was confident they could match it with the ninth placed Hurricanes who boast a number of All Blacks.

The Brumbies are coming off a 61-15 win over the Cheetahs which saw them notch up their first four-try bonus point last week.

However, he is also mindful that a loss this week could end the side's chances of being around at the business end of the season.

"This week's a huge test for us to keep that momentum going but also just to stay in the hunt," Giteau said.

"There's a big logjam at the top of the table and a win this week, especially with the injuries we've got, would be a huge boost for the side."

Brumbies: Julian Huxley, Pat McCabe, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Tyrone Smith, Matt Giteau, Patrick Phibbs, Stephen Hoiles (capt), Michael Hooper, Rocky Elsom, Mark Chisholm, Ben Hand, Salesi Ma'afu, Stephen Moore, Ben Alexander. Res: Huia Edmonds, Guy Shepherdson, Justin Harrison, Colby Faingaa, James Stannard, Brackin Kaurauria-Henry, Andrew Smith

http://www.rugby.com.au/news/aap/s-6.../section/21893

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Hmmm how many of the Brumbies' first choice players are out 'testing their depth'

London to a brick Brumbies suck ass this week with Tyrone Smith starved of the football.

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "The sixth-placed Brumbies have had a horror run with injuries this season and now face a finals tightrope walk without some of their top-line players."

Oh, cry me a f'ing river

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    James Stannard gets a look in though

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    London to a brick Brumbies suck ass this week with Tyrone Smith starved of the football.
    We live in hope. - never thought I'd be feeling that way about an Oz team playing a Kiwi team. But there you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    Oh, cry me a f'ing river

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David