Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Talk of Force’s third-party Cooper deal dismays

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Talk of Force’s third-party Cooper deal dismays

Talk of Force’s third-party Cooper deal dismays

GREG GROWDEN

April 15, 2010
    Wanted man...the Force are boosting their "extraordinary deal" will lure Quade Cooper from the Reds. Photo: Reuters

A massive offer from the Western Force to lure the Queensland Reds five-eighth Quade Cooper to Perth next season is bound to cause major conflict within Australian rugby ranks. According to our snouts, ‘‘the alarm bells are ringing’’ at Australian Rugby Union headquarters following complaints from two Australian Super 14 franchises that the Force appear to be back in the business of brokering third-party deals, but in a well disguised way. It is believed the proposed deals involve a stand-alone company. At a time where austerity is being pursued, the ARU will not allow provinces to use third-party deals to lure players from any other Australian teams. Nonetheless the Force have let it be known they are offering Cooper an ‘‘extraordinary deal’’, which Queensland will be unable to match. It is understood Reds officials have been told there is no point even trying to match the offer, because the Force’s ‘‘pockets are so deep’’. This has prompted concerns of another player salary explosion, and that the Force, who got into an enormous mess with third-party deals involving Firepower several years ago, are again contemplating taking a maverick approach in signing players from elsewhere. This development will put enormous pressure on certain high-ranking Force officials, who have stated they would be personally responsible if the franchise offended again. There are, understandably, concerns in Queensland that they will lose Cooper after being so heavily involved in his development and recent rehabilitation. Adding to the uncertainty is that Cooper is to appear in court in July on burglary charges.
    WARATAHS PREFER SFS
    Waratahs centre Berrick Barnes yesterday let slip that the team would probably prefer that its next game on April 24 against the Brumbies to be played at its traditional home ground of the Sydney Football Stadium, rather than at ANZ Stadium at Homebush Bay. Barnes, speaking at the SFS, said: ‘‘Unfortunately it is not being played here ... but we’ll get out there at Stadium Australia, and go at it.’’ A Waratahs official fainted in the background. We also hear the Brumbies are delighted the game is at Homebush, because they believe the Tahs are a 10-point better team at the SFS. Meanwhile, life is on the up for Parramatta. The struggling club yesterday secured a major sponsor, Visy, with its NSW manager, Steve Boland, joining the Parramatta board.
    NOBODY JOINS ARU BOARD
    As predicted by R&M two weeks ago, former Wallabies skipper John Eales was yesterday appointed to the ARU board, replacing the retiring Peter Cosgrove. At the annual meeting the ARU reported a net loss of $279,000 for 2009, after allocations to member unions for coaching and development. It had an operating surplus of $6.1 million, while expenditure was reduced by $5.3m. The NSWRU will this month report a $400,000 loss for 2009, which follows a $205,000 loss the previous year. As all franchises have found, times are tough, but at least NSW are not in such a desperate state as Queensland, which have lost $10.84m over the past three years. The QRU’s loss of $3.1m for 2009 has led to the ARU getting involved.
    REF HAS THE BREATH
    A recent TV trend has been to interview Super 14 players when they are running off the field at half-time. Many of the interviews are gibberish as the player, struggling to catch his breath, cannot finish a coherent sentence. A refreshing change last weekend was interviewing the referee during the break. South Africa’s Mark Lawrence was probed during the Lions-Reds game in Johannesburg, and hammed it up well. Lawrence explained: ‘‘The guys are getting out there, they are playing, and they are giving their best. I’ve stuck the whistle in my pocket, and I’m just going for a run, which is great!’’ Then a little wink to the camera. More of it.
    ROCKY’S GONNA FLY NOW
    The dog craze which has hit the Waratahs is now affecting the Melbourne Rebels. The Rebels prize overseas recruit Danny Cipriani is bringing his mutt, Rocky, to Melbourne when he moves from England in a few months. Already the dog’s time in quarantine has been booked. ‘‘I like him because he’s low maintenance,’’ Cipriani said. ‘‘Ten minutes’ walk and he’s happy.’’
    THE RUMOURS
    ?The whisper that Force coach John Mitchell will soon be heading to the Sharks in Durban is getting louder and louder.
    ?A Waratahs ‘‘work in progress’’ squad member, who is struggling to make his first grade club line-up, is in line for a Super 14 appearance.
    ? Is the key to the Waratahs’ success this season that they no longer play cricket for half-an-hour before training? But they do love that team huddle. And apparently six Waratahs are going for their motorbike licences. This will be a source of discussion next Monday at the Royal Flying Doctor Service annual rugby dinner, which a glut of Waratahs will attend.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/au...0415-shtq.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    A massive offer from the Western Force to lure the Queensland Reds five-eighth Quade Cooper to Perth next season is bound to cause major conflict within Australian rugby ranks. According to our snouts, ‘‘the alarm bells are ringing’’ at Australian Rugby Union headquarters following complaints from two Australian Super 14 franchises that the Force appear to be back in the business of brokering third-party deals, but in a well disguised way. It is believed the proposed deals involve a stand-alone company. At a time where austerity is being pursued, the ARU will not allow provinces to use third-party deals to lure players from any other Australian teams. Nonetheless the Force have let it be known they are offering Cooper an ‘‘extraordinary deal’’, which Queensland will be unable to match. It is understood Reds officials have been told there is no point even trying to match the offer, because the Force’s ‘‘pockets are so deep’’. This has prompted concerns of another player salary explosion, and that the Force, who got into an enormous mess with third-party deals involving Firepower several years ago, are again contemplating taking a maverick approach in signing players from elsewhere. This development will put enormous pressure on certain high-ranking Force officials, who have stated they would be personally responsible if the franchise offended again. There are, understandably, concerns in Queensland that they will lose Cooper after being so heavily involved in his development and recent rehabilitation.
    Isn't it refreshing to see Growden write such a well researched story with so many quotes from the central parties.

I reckon the "extraordinary deal" quote would have been posted here sometime in the last week if it came from anybody not employed by the SMH or Fox Sports.

C'mon the

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    "THE RUMOURS
    ?The whisper that Force coach John Mitchell will soon be heading to the Sharks in Durban is getting louder and louder."

hmmm

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Isn't it amazing! Greg Growden, who is known to dislike the Force and stick the boot in at any opportunity he gets, gets hold of a scoop like this!

And amazing that Force officials who can run their team so efficiently that their "pockets are so deep" are also so monumentally stupid as to announce that they are breaking the rules to sign Cooper!

How does Growden get away with this? It's not news, it's his dreams after a late-night cheese supper!

vCash
    looks to be the Force will be the only franchise to make a profit this year. Even the ARU are having trouble with the purse strings.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    "THE RUMOURS
    ?The whisper that Force coach John Mitchell will soon be heading to the Sharks in Durban is getting louder and louder."

hmmm
    It would be good. Don't get me wrong I like Mitch, even though I thought his announcement that he was leaving wasn't at all helpful, but with practically all the squad off contract in 2011 they need to know who they are going to be playing for.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    in all honesty i am unsure if he will still be here next season... i think the smart move by RWA would be to replace him now(that is, at the end of the season) so the squad has a season to work under the new coach and his team (if the coaching staff changes beyond the head coach) so they are able to get a feel of that its going to be like post mitch. and then decide if they are liking the direction the coach is taking the force, and whether or not they want to continue their careers in perth.

i didnt want to see mitch go. but now he has said he is leaving i think the next thing for him to do is go. so there is more stability in the team next year. which will give RWA more leverage in contract negotiations

vCash
    Well done to Growden. Smart man he is, way to keep Cooper in the East and preferably at the Reds, is by keeping everyone paranoid. Now possibly -
    The Force will try to distance themselves from any deals/rumours/scandals;
    Cooper will also try to distance himself from what looks to be another scandal (he's got enough around his neck already);
    The ARU worried about a possible new scandal involving the Force, again!, will probably make it as difficult as possible for any deal between the Force and Cooper to eventuate (if they haven't already).

Personally, is it worth the drama? Look at Barnes at the Tahs..not the messiah he was touted to be. But then again, if anything, it would be good to see the Force snatch another..

vCash
    Cooper is the best player in the world right now. If we had him, and keep JOC, it would change the way we play and we would be a top 8 side easily. He is the first player since Larkham to be able to run a backline so well, and i hate to say but he might become better than Larkham the way he is going.

But, if he stays at the Red with Genia, the wallabies will be the only top side with a 9/10 partnership at club level. This could give us a huge advantage at the WC and could be the difference of winning and losing it. Keep him at the Reds for the wallabies sake please.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I'm just not sure who it is "dismaying"?
    If true, I bet it isn't causing much angst to Cooper or the Force!
    Maybe we should be reading this in Brisbane...

Re Mitch, I'm sorry but all this “now he's announced it he should go sooner” is just bullshit. I have even more respect for the man now having been bold enough to announce his intentions early to allow his employers to transition into the next era smoothly. He could easily have held off until mid next season faffing about and stringing them along.
    Professional people come and go all the time and work effectively until the last hour of their employment.
    Sure, I can go along with the suggestions we were throwing around that it may be possible to appoint the next Coach to focus on the Academy and younger players, perhaps take a tour away this Spring even, and to start working through the list to be ready to go, but fair dinkum, give the bloke some credit for doing the righty by the players and management!
    He isn't quitting or running away, he is purely and simply not extending his contract beyond the current one.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Now, what was I saying about the Rugby Club just looking to generate a bit of outrage?

Mind you, I had to laugh at the statement that the "Force appear to be back in the business of brokering third-party deals, but in a well disguised way". I suppose that contrasts with the Brumbies, who were quite openly able to put a contract in front of Giteau with all the third party money already in place. Maybe all the franchises should just sign an agreement that no third party deals may be offered to top players?

Mind you, wasn't Maloney supposedly prepared to put up money competitive with France to tempt Gasnier to the Reds? I guess that makes their priorities plain and sends a clear message to the players - "we'll pay a Leaguie, but there is nothing in the bank for you guys..."

Last edited by AndyS; 16-04-10 at 10:56.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    We are starting to get two threads going along the same lines, but along the track of what I was saying in "QC", I think that it should be more of a case that the clubs are encouraged to find whatever thrid party money they can to hold these top players in Super Rugby. There may be some short term pain but generally speaking there is enough money in each of the cities involved (ok maybe not the Capital but they have the Navy in their pocket...) to, over time, bring evryone back level again anyway. Double the allowable wage, whatever but get competitive on the world stage.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    What was the point of creating the force if it wasn't to develop more Australian talent.....

You have had 5 years to develop a 5/8, suck it up like the reds have had to for the past 5 years
    Posted via Mobile Device

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    hehe You develop, we take and then you get to develop more. Same result

(ps. I'd like to see QC stay with QLD)

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    So the role of the Force is to be purely stocked 100% by new talent?
    What crap TOCC and you know it.
    The role of the Force and now Melbourne is to provide more opportunities so that ALL the teams can produce new talent.
    The Force and Melbourne aren't intended to become the Academy for Australian Rugby.
    I'm generally on Queenslands side but you are sounding like you are carrying a bigger pair of chips on your shoulders than the average Sandgroper at the moment, you had 100 years to develop your whole squad.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast