Thread: Asian 5 Nations preview

vCash

Asian 5 Nations preview

The third Asian 5 Nations rugby tournament kicks off this weekend when Hong Kong hosts Korea at the Hong Kong Football Club this Saturday. This year's tournament will double as the Asian qualifier for Rugby World Cup 2011 in New Zealand and will see the five teams play each other home-and-away during April and May.

Japan starts with a bye meaning that they'll be forced to fight from behind from the very start... OK, that wasn't very funny - the results of this tournament will basically be able to summarised as follows: Japan will crush everyone (earning yet another thoroughly undeserved direct qualification to the RWC) and Korea will crush everyone that's not Japan. Hong Kong and Kazakhstan will be able to play knowing that they are under no threat of relegation, as the Arabian Gulf will disband in to its constituent nations after this year's tournament.

Potentially the most significant development this year was actually Sri Lanka winning the second-tier Division 1 tournament played earlier this month. Their success in the four-team knock-out tournament means that they will take their spot in the 2011 Asian 5 Nations. With 122 000 registered players, Sri Lanka has the second highest rugby-playing population in Asia (behind Japan) and the country can only benefit from taking the step up in competition for the first time next year.

In Division 2, the Philippines team is unlikely to feature Craig Wing and China will be favoured to take out that tournament. Indonesia hosts Division 3 and this may be their only chance of taking out the tournament after struggling last year... Give them time - the team's existed for less than a decade and have only just been accepted in to the IRB This year also features the inaugural Division 4 tournament and a "Regional Divsion" featuring three South-East Asian teams and, erm, Qatar. Go figure.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    A China v Chinese Taipei derby would be pretty cool to watch...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Blood in the Pool II... Actually Chinese Taipei got a pretty big cheer at the Beijing Olympics from memory!

Although they're in different divisions this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post

In Division 2, the Philippines team is unlikely to feature Craig Wing
    I remember reading the Wing is also qualified for Japan. Not sure how that can be right under IRB player qualifications. His heritage is Philippine/Australian and his birthplace is Sydney. They'll likely pick him if he's going OK and his qualification is legit.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Isn't there a 3 year residency requirement if he wants to play for Japan? That would make it 2012 at the earliest...

vCash
    it has to be citizenship doesn't it?

Birthplace, and heritage qualification are irrespective of where in the World you are living, which is Why JOC could qualify for all three tri-nations teams whilst playing in Oz

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    it has to be citizenship doesn't it?

Birthplace, and heritage qualification are irrespective of where in the World you are living, which is Why JOC could qualify for all three tri-nations teams whilst playing in Oz
    Correct

From what I read JO'C had both a NZ and a Saffer grandparent making him eligible to play for NZ or SA as well as Australia

vCash
    I guess that would mean that if Wing can secure Japanese citizenship in time, he's eligible to play.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I guess that would mean that if Wing can secure Japanese citizenship in time, he's eligible to play.
    There's actually no mention of citizenship, far as I can see........

http://www.irb.com/mm/document/lawsr...ation8_883.pdf

..............three years consecutive residence. Wonder how flexible "consecutive" is.

When he first signed I read more than once that he qualifies for Japan as an "asian player" whatever that means.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    When he first signed I read more than once that he qualifies for Japan as an "asian player" whatever that means.
    Oh - no what that means is that there's a limit on the number of foreigners Japanese clubs can have in their squads but there is an extra allowance for players that qualify for Asian countries. A few Korean players take advantage of this.

Champion
    vCash
    The first game will be on Eurosports in WA on Saturday Night at 4pm as Hong Kong Takes on South Korea

Replays at 4am and 10.30am on Sunday

Find out more at http://www.asian5nations.com

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    Japan will crush everyone (earning yet another thoroughly undeserved direct qualification to the RWC) and Korea will crush everyone that's not Japan.
    Hong Kong beat Korea 32-8... so much for my expert knowledge of Asian rugby...

vCash

vCash
    FFS - Indonesia relegated to Division 4