Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The committee emerges - Frustrations threaten to tear Brumbies apart

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

The committee emerges - Frustrations threaten to tear Brumbies apart

Frustrations threaten to tear Brumbies apart

LEE GASKIN

April 20, 2010 - 10:31AM

Seeing more of the ball . . . Julian Huxley has urged his teammates to unleash the Brumbies backline. Photo: Andrew Sheargold

Julian Huxley has urged the ACT Brumbies' forwards to utilise the potent backline at their disposal.
    Internal frustrations are threatening to tear the Brumbies apart ahead of Saturday night's season-defining Super 14 clash with the NSW Waratahs at ANZ Stadium.
    Several players voiced their disapproval during yesterday's training in the wake of last weekend's 23-13 loss to the Wellington Hurricanes.
    The Brumbies had the bulk of possession and territory but failed to turn that pressure into points.
    While pleased with the performance of the forwards in general, Huxley said the big men were starving the side's attacking weapons of the ball inside the opposition's 22.
    "That's one area where we're struggling," Huxley said. "It's funny, the frustration is coming because we're not getting the ball.
    "But the forwards are doing such a good job of creating space for us and then not giving it to us.
    "So we've got to get better at melding with the forwards.
    "But they're doing an outstanding job and we just have to take more advantage of that as a team.
    "There's certainly no shortage of opportunities. If we get it right we'll really hurt teams.
    "To take a 5-3 lead into half-time [against the Hurricanes] was a bit of a travesty."
    Illustrating how little ball the Brumbies' backs are seeing is the fact prop Ben Alexander is topping the try-scoring tally with four.
    The Brumbies also have just one four-try bonus point this season.
    However, they will keep faith in highly prized recruit Matt Giteau at flyhalf for the derby.
    Giteau looked at his best when moved to inside-centre, but the injury to young gun Matt Toomua has forced the Wallabies playmaker back to first receiver.
    Huxley three games back from a two-year absence rebutted suggestions he could step into Giteau's shoes.
    "I don't think there's any chance of that ... I'm loving it at fullback," he said.
    "Matty Giteau is genuinely one of the best footballers in the world.
    "It's probably [more] the team is holding all our individuals back at the moment.
    "We need to come together a lot better. If we do that we can allow players like Gits to shine."
    Brumbies coach Andy Friend backed Giteau's killer instinct to return against the Waratahs.
    "All I know is that he's a real competitor, he's a quality footballer and he wants to put in a better performance," Friend said.
    "I was happy with the things he was doing at 12 and I have been happy with some of the things he has been doing at 10 too."
    Friend expected scrumhalf Josh Valentine to return from a hamstring injury after missing the past two games. Lock Mitchell Chapman should come back into the side if he overcomes a hip complaint.
    "Both of them were reasonably close last week but didn't make it," Friend said.
    "We're hoping this week those two will be available for selection.
    "With four games remaining the sixth-placed Brumbies (26 points) know nothing less than victory will do against the fifth-placed Waratahs (29 points).
    It's that intense pressure Huxley hopes will bring the best of a Brumbies side laden with international experience.
    "We've certainly got a lot of big-game players and the temperament in the side will stand us in good stead," Huxley said.
    "We just need to get our attitude right, go out and be ourselves and enjoy playing together."
    Canberra Times

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...0420-sq7w.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "It's funny, the frustration is coming because we're not getting the ball.
    "But the forwards are doing such a good job of creating space for us and then not giving it to us.
    "So we've got to get better at melding with the forwards.
    "But they're doing an outstanding job and we just have to take more advantage of that as a team.
    "There's certainly no shortage of opportunities.

Well what the fuck is the problem exactly???
    Maybe that head knock was even worse than first suspected

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Maybe it's the #10 that's not doing his job in getting the ball out to the outside backs.....now who was it that played #10 last week......?!?!?!?!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    The way to Answer Huxley's problem is to look at the number of touches each player has in the game, that'll give you a pretty clear indication of where the ball dies......I wonder if there's any way for the coaching staff to identify how many times a player has touched the Ball in a game?

C'mon the

vCash
    Saturday's match will end in disappointment for me - one of them will probably win the match.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    C'arn the Draw!!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    C'arn the Draw!!
    I think a draw would ensure no Aussie Grand Slam for 2010

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I saw the committee( Gits Drew Josh) having a serious chat after the game. Gits looked really pissed of

vCash
    they are doing it again. the off season will be interesting to say the least. another revolt in aus rugby.

Champion
    vCash
    bRUMBIES tOO MANY CHIEFS NOT ENOUGH iNDIANS.......... Gits is ya problem...... he has his own game plan and expects everyone to work to it....... he kicks way too much Brumbies will get flogged by the reds....... for a star team u were lucky the fORCE were hit by injuries rematch now different story

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    The commentators said as much during the broadcast.
    Rumour has it that Gits is going to buy the Storm, turn them in to a Union franchise and have his own team in Super 16...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    they are doing it again. the off season will be interesting to say the least. another revolt in aus rugby.
    The question would be whether the coach and the board have the stones to stare them down.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    or do they have the stones to do it again?

vCash
    it was a terrible game to watch.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    The question would be whether the coach and the board have the stones to stare them down.
    Andy Friend won't last one of them.

I remember when they were sucking it up real bad at the start of the season and Gits was tanking his first attempt at #10 for them Hoiles said in several post match interviews how Gits was an amazing player "but we haven't learned to play with him yet" They then started to get a roll on through two definite changes in the team.

1 the pack did most of the work, including scoring every try for about three weeks
    2 Gits was moved into 12 and Toomua was put into 10

I wonder how that massive 3rd party money is feeling now?

Giteau and Barnes will fight it out for the bench on the Wallabies this year.

C'mon the

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast