Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Peter Hynes ready to sacrifice cup spot

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Peter Hynes ready to sacrifice cup spot

Peter Hynes ready to sacrifice cup spot

• Wayne Smith, Rugby union editor
    • April 20, 2010 12:00AM

IT is looking increasingly likely that Reds fullback and Wallabies winger Peter Hynes will join a French or Japanese club next year, which would rule him out of the 2011 World Cup.

Hynes's father and business manager, Bob, said yesterday his son had attracted nine offers from foreign clubs, one of which is so keen to recruit him it even is prepared to set up his wife, Bree, as manager of a hairdressing salon as part of the deal.

The Australian Rugby Union has offered Hynes, 27, only a modest contract, despite the fact the ever-reliable back three player has been one of the most consistent Wallabies of the Robbie Deans era and started in every Test of last year's spring tour.

"The ARU don't seem overly interested in contracting him," Bob Hynes said. "They've come up with a small top-up (in addition to his Super rugby contract) to stay home but Peter has been offered twice that contract overseas."

Bob Hynes made a counter-offer to the ARU a month ago but has had no response.

However, an ARU spokesman said the union would hold talks with Hynes and his management in the near future, possibly as early as today.

But while things might have stalled on the domestic front in recent weeks, the pace of negotiations with foreign clubs is picking up, to the point that Hynes Sr is now seriously looking at the tax structures that make France and Japan such attractive destinations for rugby players.

"Peter would love to stay here and would love to keep playing for the Reds but he has got to look at securing his financial future.

"He has got a lot out of rugby over many years and it may just be that he doesn't ever get to play in a World Cup," Bob Hynes said.

"He has no gripe with the ARU. He knows they have a business to run, but if they don't need him we'll very easily find an overseas club that does."

From the moment the Rebels were granted the Super 15 expansion licence in Melbourne, Hynes was one of their prime targets and he still remains at the top of their hit list.

But, according to Bob Hynes, it is pointless to even begin negotiating with Australian franchises - the Western Force also has expressed an interest in him - while the situation with the ARU remains unresolved.

"If he's not going to be here, it's irrelevant," Bob Hynes said.

Peter Hynes, who shone against the Bulls, made the switch to fullback this year at the request of Reds coach Ewen McKenzie and has taken to the position so strongly that he probably is the leading contender for the 15 jersey in the Wallabies' June Tests against Fiji, Ireland and England, especially if Deans decides to employ Adam Ashley-Cooper at outside centre.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225855700974

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    I thought he was coming west ?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    The ARU need to be sacked en masse if they don't find good money for Hynes, that is just ludicrous

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    This kind of dribs 'n' drabs contracting will go on and on until such time as the control freaks in the front office get out of player contracting and hand the money EQUALLY over to the franchises. The only money the ARU should control is what's kept aside for Wallaby match payments.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Are the privately-owned Rebels going to get an equal share of the ARU's money?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Are the privately-owned Rebels going to get an equal share of the ARU's money?
    The rebels don't get an equal share of the cake now and I don't see that having to change. But they should get an equal share of money allocated for Wallaby contracts.

I know it's not perfect in that the money will still be distributed as the franchises see fit. But the amounts handed out should be kept separate if for no other reason than the one you point out.

Why should a Wallaby side not be selected on form as seen by the selectors, unencumbered by players awarded huge contracts that they might not be currently be giving value for? Works OK in other sports.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I'd be quite happy with the players getting paid for being a Wallaby (central contract) and then they can pick which team they play for, based on what they can get. The current system of having effectively two separate contracts, but you can't sign one without the other, would probably be illegal outside of sports!

The above system penalises against teams signing foreign players (eg, Melbourne's 10 franchise player spots) as those players would only get the team contribution.

But it might work that, if the IRB ever got it's international calendar properly organised, players could chase the money in Europe but still be eligible for the national side (albeit with a long flight back for matches).

vCash
    I still think the current system is the best system for getting results, it might not always seem logical or fair but i think it works well.

We wouldnt be able to keep as many of our wallabies in australia if it werent for the central contracting system.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    What would then be the incentive for our elite players to stay in Super Rugby and make it an elite competition though Sheikh?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Sorry, I was thinking of what's better for the players - not the fans - in that post.

vCash
    Be a real shame if Hynes leaves Oz.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I was thinking of what's better for SH and Australian Rugby

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Hynes has re-signed for 2 years
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    so Hes not a Mercenary then

vCash
    I guess that makes him a world class player and not a worthless piece of shit who can be replaced by any Qld 12 year old as well.

C'mon the

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast