Thread: Grim prospects for semis (NZ)

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Grim prospects for semis (NZ)

Grim prospects for semis

Wednesday, 28 April 2010

• Howick and Botany Times

WITH the Crusaders having been shafted 24-16 by the Western Force, New Zealand teams face the grim prospect of failing to make the top four play-offs of this year’s Super 14 rugby championship.

Consequently, it doesn’t bode well for the All Blacks Tri-Nations prospects against South Africa or Australia later in the season, or their bid to win the world title on home soil next year.

The fact is with so many former stars looking jaded and teams making too many tactical and handling errors, the All Blacks selectors will need to be miracle workers if their team is to make a decent showing against what looks likely to be a very strong Springboks side and an improved Australian one.

Not even Daniel Carter and Richie McCaw could stop the Crusaders surrendering a 13-0 halftime lead in losing to a John Mitchell-coached Force side that registered just its third win in 10 games.

The truth is Carter is not the sparkling jewel he was, and the brave McCaw is not stealing the ball at the breakdowns as he did before referees changed their tackle ball interpretation in favour of the attacking side.

While the Crusaders forwards remain a well-drilled unit most of the time, their backs lack the cutting edge one associates with champion teams.

In fact two of their most incisive runners are non All Blacks in old warhorse No 8 Thomas Waldron and nuggety halfback Kahn Fotuali’i.

Having lost to the Force on their way to South Africa, the Crusaders face the daunting task of playing the competition leaders, the Bulls and the Storm.

Having beaten both, the Queensland Reds should knock over the Brumbies in Canberra on Saturday night to maintain their top four spot, while the Waratahs should leapfrog the Crusaders on Friday night to join them.

With the Hurricanes, Blues, Chiefs and Highlanders placed seventh, eighth, 10th and 12th, a grim picture of New Zealand’s status is drawn. Yet it is a realistic one, given the high error rate and the failure of the forwards to dominate.

Although the Bulls and Stormers hold the top two spots, there is a big drop to the South African’s third best side, the Sharks, in ninth place, while the Cheetahs and Lions languish at the bottom at 13th and 14th.

The big movers are the Australians with the Reds, Waratahs and Brumbies lying fourth, fifth and sixth to give national coach Robbie Deans hope of improving on his dismal 2009 international record.

Meanwhile, having been flogged 40-6 by the salary cap cheating Melbourne Storm, no one should be left in doubt that the woeful Warriors remain a forlorn hope of making an impact in the NRL championship.

Even allowing for their injury problems, the Warriors simply don’t have the class to mix it with the big boys and will need to buy some real talent when the likes of the injured, ageing Steve Price comes off contract next year.

If a new broom sweeps clean, they should also look at replacing head coach Ivan Cleary, given their dismal showing last year when his contract was extended a couple of years.

Having failed to consistently inject some potency into his players, Cleary is a classic case of a nice guy coming last, although it would be unfair to make him the sole culprit for a team lacking in class and character.

That is a shame, given the mediocrity of the New Zealand Super 14 teams, in contrast to the brilliance of the better Australian club sides who have not felt the need to cheat in showcasing their game.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Interesting stat: the Crusaders have always gone on to win the title after finishing 1st on the ladder - but have never won the title when they've finished lower.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash

1998- Crusaders finished 2nd on the log and beat the Blues in the final at Eden Park.
    1999- Crusaders finished 4th on the log and beat the Highlanders in the final.
    2000- Crusaders finished 2nd on the log and beat the Brumbies in Canberra.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    I misread a Wikipedia entry - don't mind me...

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    The Crusaders have lost their aura. They aren't attracting star players as much as they used to and aren't going to be a big force in the future. You get the feeling the Sharks star has waned a bit too. In the next couple of years the Stormers, Reds and Blues will probably be the big teams in the competition. In the Blues and Reds cases mostly due to the high output of young talent.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Followed by a golden Force age

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Wednesday, 28 April 2010
    • Howick and Botany Times

........ New Zealand teams face the grim prospect of failing to make the top four play-offs of this year’s Super 14 rugby championship.

Consequently, it doesn’t bode well for the All Blacks Tri-Nations prospects against South Africa or Australia later in the season, or their bid to win the world title on home soil next year. [/QUOTE]
    Don't ya just luv it

vCash
    I do think the reasoning is flawed though. The AllBlacks are a different kettle of fish than the S14 franchises, sure it's an indicator, but it might just be that the talent is spread more evenly this year....let's face it, typically you can bank on the Crusaders, maybe the Blues and everybody else is a crapshoot. This year the 'Landers have been competitive sometimes, the Chiefs started really hot and then sputtered and the 'Canes have been typically inconsistent, so not much different from normal apart from some inconsistency with the Blues and the 'Saders losing their sheen.

I wouldn't write the ABs off yeat this year (Next year is a different issue, that's all about choking!)

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I wouldn't write the ABs off but Australia will definitely be better this year and South African will be just as good as they were last year, which was very good.

Fact is that there are some question marks over the All Blacks. Tighthead prop, locks, fullback. More than the usual. More than 2006/2007 when it was just outside centre.

vCash
    Yeah, I reckon the Wallabies better, just as South Africa level out, and the ABs look for answers.. Should be loads of fun!!!

by and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth-george carlin: