Thread: Round Five Club Rugby - The Great Divide?

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash

Round Five Club Rugby - The Great Divide?

There should be two outstanding games this weekend, and rugby fans will be able to watch both.

On Friday at 8 PM fourth placed Palmyra take on undefeated third place Kalamunda at home, and 3.30 PM Saturday sees a top of the ladder clash between Nedlands and Cottesloe at Harvey field.

Kalamunda will be without Dion Berryman, whom I am informed left with another of their stars for the bright lights of East Coast rugby (sorry, I was told, but I've forgotten who), and young rising star Eric Vasu is unavailable through injury to play against his big Brother Johnny. However Kala have proven they have the depth to cover these losses, and will certainly take it right up to Pally.

Pally are improving week by week after a very ordinary start to the season, and have been strengthened by the arrival of several very useful players from the UK to bolster their already huge pack of forwards. Sadly injuries have decimated their backs, although the return of their sharp shooting five eight will stiffen the backline, as will the inclusion of an ex first grade Gordon winger as a reserve. I give it to Kala by 10 points, if only for their demonstrated consistency.

Nedlands will miss Harry Cogin on the wing, a victim of a nasty knee injury, and unless they have some new blood coming in, will be set back considerably by any further injuries as their reserves haven't been travelling too well by Neddies' usual high standard.

Cottesloe are a complete side, and with the little backline general Cloete leading by example, and with very mobile forwards and a home ground advantage, have every prospect of rolling Neddies, though not by much. I expect this game to be brutal, and depending on the ref, possibly turning on the random fall of yellow and red cards. This season they have been raining down like confetti, and this weekend shouldn't be much different, given the very shallow pool to select from.

Perth play University at Morley, and Perth will have one of their few and remote possibilities of a win this season, with a demoralised Uni reeling from the loss of their captain and outstanding number eight Ashton, who suffered a worrying neck injury last weekend. Perth have serious problems of their own though, and are hemorrhaging players to other clubs, despite their very well credentialed coaching staff, so this one will be a rather low standard clash of the cellar dwellers, with probably not more than a penalty to differentiate between them.

Soaks play Wests at Allen Park, in a game which is more critical for Wests, whose season is almost certainly over if they don't pull something out of their bag of tricks. I'm afraid that they won't have the wherewithal against a competent if not brilliant Soaks. I give it to Soaks by 20 plus points.

Finally Rockingham take on Wanneroo at Lark Hill. My sympathies are with Rocky, but my head says Wanneroo. However Rocky do have an extremely useful number eight who recently arrived at the club, and their Ranga fullback is a big, hard running unit. Wanneroo have shown that they are not what they were last year and the perennial gale, which is usual Lark Hill weather, may assist Rocky. Unfortunately I don't think it will be enough, and the Dogs will take it out by 15 points.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by fulvio sammut; 19-03-11 at 23:19.

Player
    vCash
    you sound pretty much spot on except at lark hill just heard a few more recruits might be playing from the uk and nz could be interesting.Best of luck to all teams.

vCash
    Sad to hear about Sean ashtons neck injury, grew up playing against him and all so with him in state juniors. really good bloke, hope it's not to serious cobber

when they keep glancing over at me i know they think iam cute and are checking me out -Kalafan 10/3/10

i have difficulty in my life. alot of girls like me but i cannot ask them out. i think they like me cause i am good looking and have a nice smile.- kalafan 3/7/10

FREE LINDSAY

Born TROLLIN

Champion
    vCash
    O.K. so Cott by how much?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chertubler View Post
    you sound pretty much spot on except at lark hill just heard a few more recruits might be playing from the uk and nz could be interesting.Best of luck to all teams.
    and the Lark Hill gale blows across the field, not really helping either team (Unless you're looking to kick for touch)

C'mon the

vCash

Referees as at Thurs 6 May

Rockingham v Wanneroo S POPPERWELL
    Perth Bayswater v UWA D WAETFORD
    Palmyra v Kalamunda J HILL
    Cottesloe v Nedlands J SHERRIFF
    Associates v Wests Subiaco R KELLAM

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    We are blessed.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    sarcastic bastard Fulvio!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    We are blessed.
    By the presence of AH's flared lats?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Keep an I out for me wearing my trademark pink top hat, and feather boa

when they keep glancing over at me i know they think iam cute and are checking me out -Kalafan 10/3/10

i have difficulty in my life. alot of girls like me but i cannot ask them out. i think they like me cause i am good looking and have a nice smile.- kalafan 3/7/10

FREE LINDSAY

Born TROLLIN