Thread: PALY UP FOR BATTLE ROYAL AT THE FORESHORE

vCash

PALY UP FOR BATTLE ROYAL AT THE FORESHORE

Competition leaders Nedlands have a new threat on their hands at the start of the second half of the competition, playing a rejuvenated Palmyra at Sir Charles Court Reserve in Saturday’s match of the round, sponsored by KWIK Crane and Transport Hire.

Playing a successful and entertaining brand of running rugby, Nedlands attacking back line and aggressive, mobile forward pack have looked premiership material from game one. They have had just one loss, to Cottesloe 30-27 at Harvey Field in round six when the Seagulls came from behind to kick a penalty on the bell.

Nedlands remain the old faithfuls of W.A. rugby with 27 consecutive years of finals appearances but their last premiership was way back at the start of the decade in 2000. They contested grand finals in 2001, 2004, 2006 and 2007 but finished as runner-up on each occasion.

Tony Ball’s team had a horror start to the 2009 season and had just two wins after seven games, but roared home with ten consecutive wins only to be bundled out of the finals by Palmyra and Cottesloe.

Saturday’s game may bring back unwelcome memories for the Royal Blues when they face Palmyra at Sir Charles Court Reserve.

By contrast, 2009 grand finalists Palmyra have struggled to find their rhythm in the first half of the season with a largely new team under a new coach, the highly regarded John Taylor. They were lucky to beat wooden spooners Perth-Bayswater in round six, and failed to impress against University.

Taylor was philosophical about the games as his new team found their combinations.

“It happens. You have to give credit to the others teams,” he said.

“We had about six out with injury against Bayswater but that’s no excuse. We came up against a team that played particularly well.

“And we conspired against ourselves in the first half against University, but we came back strong so I was pretty happy.”

However, that all seems to be in the past for third-placed Paly as they look to have hit their stride coming into the business end of the season. In the last two games they have despatched Wanneroo by a healthy margin and drawn with second-placed premiers Cottesloe 22-22.

“We scored three tries to one and we were leading by 10 points in the second half, but they came back and in the end we were lucky to get away with the draw,” Taylor said.

The game had echoes of the draw with Associates earlier in the season where Palmyra scored four tries to one but suffered from the accurate goal kicking of Soaks flyhalf Kyle Godwin, while their own kickers were not so fortunate.

“It’s not our goal kicking, it’s the opposition,” Taylor said.

“Godwin and (Dave) Cloete both kicked five penalties and conversions from the sideline.

“We have a few problems with interpretations, especially around the breakdown, and that’s a bone of contention for all coaches this year. It’s frustrating.”

Nedlands didn’t have ideal preparation with a 71-12 romp over Perth-Bayswater two weeks ago and will need to come back to earth with a bump to meet a Palmyra side honed by the toughest of tests.

It will be an interesting contest for two teams with similar styles. Palmyra’s forward pack has been beefed up from the 2009 version and they might be hoping to dominate the set pieces, although Neddies are no slouches in that area either. It is in the loose where Palmyra will need to be on their toes -- Nedlands’ all-action loose trio have been terrorising breakdowns throughout the competition, running bigger packs ragged across the width of the paddock.

Palmyra are close to full strength with just two regulars on the injury list; forward Jarrel Te Kahu with a wrist problem, and inside centre Jamie MacDonald.

Taylor is aware of the significance of the game as the second half of the season begins.

“Nedlands are running hot, it’s going to be a hell of a game,” Taylor said.

“If we want to get close and have a chance of winning, we have to address our discipline problems especially at the breakdown. That’s what’s hurting us.

“I’ve got no doubt we have the personnel to win the game but you have to turn up on the day.”

But Taylor has no doubt where the game will be won and lost.

“The team that has the best defence inside the 22 is going to prevail,” he said.

“Both sides have pretty good attacking options. Breakdown and defence will win the game.”

Despite the importance of the contest, Taylor said Palmyra were not planning anything different.

“It’s just business as usual,” he said.

“We’re just trying to get our combinations going. It’s taken all the first round to get them going and we’re just starting to gel a bit.

“Our boys are keen and they’re getting fitter but we’re under no illusions as to what Nedlands can do.”

At Kingsway, premiers Cottesloe play Wanneroo and the northern club will be desperate to resurrect their season. Finalists for the last two years, the Roo-dogs have fallen on hard times this year to languish at sixth position, and time is running out for a tilt at the finals.

The Kalamunda-Associates game at Hartfield is equally important, fifth playing fourth as the run to the finals unfolds. Giant-killing Wests-Subiaco will be intent on another scalp when they face University at Rosalie Park and the bottom two teams, Rockingham and Perth-Bayswater, battle for the wooden spoon at Lark Hill.

By Rick Boyd

http://rugbywa.com.au/news/article,58503.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Bugger, no reference to cellar dwellers.

Come on, Rick, you know you want to ... Why not stick in a reference to Lowly as well?

Last edited by fulvio sammut; 18-06-10 at 05:50.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Or at least start the article with "Perennial wooden spooners Palmyra............"

vCash
    Boys boys boys. It's just a frame of reference. Next year when all Palmyra's blow-ins blow out again and Paly return to the bottom of the table, the team will be referred to as "former finalists Palmyra", at least for one year.

Just kidding. Big tip for this game Frank?

Champion
    vCash
    This game should be a showcase for Community Rugby in WA and I would like to think some of the Powers in Rugby WA will come and watch, sadly Uni 4ths will be playing Wests around the same time up at Rosalie.

Rookie
    vCash
    A little cranky there Hansie!

Champion
    vCash
    As cranky as many other clubs...I reckon the game 2 moro will be played at a skill level and intensity that deserves recognition. Be good to see support from RugbyWA. Maybe I am overly pessimistic and would be happy to be proved wrong.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    No tips.

On form, Nedlands should win, but it is a big game and a Palmyra victory is not out of the question.

Whatever, it will be a great spectacle, with no quarters asked or given.

Only an optimist, or someone having to select a winner in a tipping competition, would be likely to attempt to predict this one.

vCash
    Nedlands BY 300

when they keep glancing over at me i know they think iam cute and are checking me out -Kalafan 10/3/10

i have difficulty in my life. alot of girls like me but i cannot ask them out. i think they like me cause i am good looking and have a nice smile.- kalafan 3/7/10

FREE LINDSAY

Born TROLLIN

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    Only an optimist, or someone having to select a winner in a tipping competition, would be likely to attempt to predict this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Action Hardcore View Post
    Nedlands BY 300
    Or an idiot

vCash
    We'll see

when they keep glancing over at me i know they think iam cute and are checking me out -Kalafan 10/3/10

i have difficulty in my life. alot of girls like me but i cannot ask them out. i think they like me cause i am good looking and have a nice smile.- kalafan 3/7/10

FREE LINDSAY

Born TROLLIN

vCash
    Nedlands BY 300
    Care to bet?

vCash
    Na, Gambling goes against my beliefs as a scientist and doctor

FREE LINDSAY

Born TROLLIN

vCash
    Na, Gambling goes against my beliefs as a scientist and doctor
    Well, scientists may try and work with absolutes, but doctors work on the balance of probabilities, so I call your bluff!

(Now if you'd said you were Methodist, or a member of the Wee Frees...)