Thread: Whats up at Wanneroo ?

Apprentice
    vCash

Whats up at Wanneroo ?

Wanneroo's web-site is advertising a player's meeting at their club rooms this week - stressing no coaches will be present. What is happening at the Roo dogs ? My sources at todays game mentioned their coach was more subdued than usual - is he about to be Rudded ?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Your quite a detective.

vCash
    I spoke to Lex Wilson he left Wanneroo and is with Plamyra now so there is definitely something going on

Last edited by pieter blackie; 27-06-10 at 06:49.

Rookie
    vCash
    I've been telling you guys about this for weeks now. Even Rumour Monger picked up on it.

The club's owner (the man with the cheque book) and the club President have backed the coach but no-one else that I've spoken to supports him.

The players and assistant coaches have been concerned about the coach's management style for some time.

I keep hearing that the second grade refuses to back up for the firsts, apparently that was happening last year as well. Also hear that the imports are complaining that some of the things promised haven't been delivered and that some of the existing players are disenchanted by the perceived red carpet treatment being given to the imports. No surprises there.

The coach has a contract to the end of 2011 so therein lies the dilemma.

Someone from Wanneroo would be better placed to fill in the gaps. Interesting about the Wanneroo website, it hasn't been updated for months.

The players meeting this week should be exciting; wonder if we can get a spy in there?

Apprentice
    vCash
    I thought I'll give you guys an accurate update on what is happening at Wanneroo as some of the comments are ridiculous.

14 of the Premier grade players has already committed for next year and also 13 2nd grade players. The others we are in the process of discussing future plans with to get their commitment. Not sure why players would do that if they are unhappy.

Recruitment is indeed a problem as too many new players got recruited in the last 2 years. These players have obviously got no understanding of Wanneroo culture and find it hard to be an instant part of our structures and our club.

Some new players always have their hand out despite not doing the right thing for the club in relation to training etc. and that is what we put a stop to. This obviously means that we do not play with the best side on paper, but guys that do the right thing by the club and that have a good attitude.

Selections is always a problem as the last 2 years I pushed hard for squad systems which seems to be an issue. I believe fresh players on the bench is key the to progress to finals as per the last 2 years and some players think it is about the game time only.

We had a players meeting both in group and individual format and now have come to a compromise so that we can move forward and build into the future. Understandably you always have players that think they are better than they really and therefore likes to complain about selections and structures. Unfortunately some of these players have included some other players that led to rumors etc which is now sorted.

In relation to players not receiving what they were promised is not true. The issue is that we agree to assist them in finding employment but not guarantee them a job. 99% of the players are happy with the jobs we found them or find a job themselves within 2 weeks from arriving in Perth.

Then we've got some guys not working for 4 months as they didn't apply for tax file numbers etc as instructed by the club. Also guys not turning up to the job we organised them so then obviously gets asked not to bother going back. These players then talk and start making others negative especially when results don't go our way.

The players meeting on Tuesday without coaches is an opportunity for them to voice any concerns about general club issues or if they didn't feel comfortable to discuss it in the previous discussion format. All 3 of our long time sponsors have confirmed their commitment for the next 3 years as well.

At the end of the day we have made heaps of progress in correcting attitude and moving to a healthier club culture the last 3 weeks and also by confirming to invest in our own players rather than recruiting too many from next year on.

If you want any more info on what is happening please feel free to come down to the club to get accurate info before forming your opinion of what is happening.

In relation to my management style and the comments about that:

I don't believe in grey areas but in right and wrong. I am results driven and didn't play or coach the game just for enjoyment but to win. We are all learning as we go and I can say with confidence that we are working through issues and getting outcomes that both players, coaches and committee is happy with.

We might not get all the results this year but we will be better for it in the future.

vCash
    From what I saw on Saturday there is nothing stopping Wanneroo from getting results this year apart from a few too many errors and a few problems with finishing. The Roo-dogs had a fair share of territory and possession with Nedlands and although I don't think Nedlands were at their best, Wanneroo were right in the game for much of the match and the outcome could have been very close with just a little fine-tuning. I was quite impressed. The Roo-dogs may have a few surprises for the competition yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ella10 View Post
    If you want any more info on what is happening please feel free to come down to the club to get accurate info before forming your opinion of what is happening.
    Come on EP; where's the fun in having a completely accurate picture before going to air?

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    Come on EP; where's the fun in having a completely accurate picture before going to air?

that is not what the media is all about...