Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wallabies Down Ireland

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Wallabies Down Ireland

Australia kept Ireland scoreless in the second half to claim a 22-15 victory in their one-off rugby Test at Lang Park in Brisbane on Saturday night.

Ireland's Jonathan Sexton kicked five first-half penalties as the visitors trailed 16-15 at the break, but Matt Giteau sealed the win with two penalty kicks in the second 40 minutes.

The Wallabies' third Test victory of their home international campaign was set up by tries from playmakers Luke Burgess and Quade Cooper in the first half.

"To come away without them crossing the line is great for our confidence going into the Tri-Nations," says Cooper in yet another man-of-the-match performance.

"It was one of those games but at the end of the day we got a win.

"No matter how many points you win by - a win's good for us."

Burgess pounced from a scrum to intercept a pass from number eight Chris Henry and he scampered away for the opening try in the 18th minute.

Cooper then put the Wallabies in front with a try after the half-time siren had sounded when he shifted to the left-hand side of the field and sliced through Ireland's feeble defensive line with a deceptive dummy and step.

He missed both of his conversion attempts but recorded two penalties in the first half to claim a personal haul of 11 points.

Saia Faingaa admitted that Australia's inexperienced pack, particularly its front row where the likes of Ben Alexander and Stephen Moore are currently missing through injury, still has plenty of work to do.

"It wasn't sound, we've got a lot to work on," he said.

"We're moving forward and we're an up-and-coming scrummaging machine.

"We didn't have a great performance tonight, but we're building for something."

Australia: 22 (L Burgess, Q Cooper tries; Q Cooper 2 penalties, M Giteau 2 penalties)

Ireland: 15 (J Sexton 5 penalties)

ABC

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    A win's a win, and I'm truly glad for it, but there was something not completely satisfying about that game. We made a few too many mistakes. It seemed we should have scored more, but our games against Ireland always seem to be done tough. And Lawrence didn't seem to want to run, and blew his whistle to prevent it when he could.
    I was glad of Canno's comments after the post-game media conference, because I was thinking the same thing - are these the guys that won or the other guys? They looked beat, they looked like they didn't want to be there and had nothing to say Elsom and Quade looked like naughty schoolboys sitting either side of the school principal who's just about to deal out a thrashing.

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Yep - I have concerns. I look forward to the Tri-Nations with a heavy heart.

Rocky - you know how to play rugby, but all said and done they need Sharpe out there to be 'captaining' them. He proved his skills to do so in 2010 - who else did?

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Poey looked to be captaining at one stage towards the end.

Drew did himself no favours.

Sharpie was missed.

vCash
    Beale's brain explosion in dribbling that kick over when he couldve passed, will haunt him while he gets splinters. Drew had too much KY on his hands, couldnt hold onto the ball and Mumm continues to surprise me as to why he is still in the team.

how far away are Alexander, Moore and Polota-nau?

vCash
    Better game - but still not convincing.

Burgo had another good game (that's twice I have said that - must check my medication!) - he must have given QC a run for MOM (based on play rather than points scored)!

AAC was very solid; JOC did enough, Gits so-so (hopefully the match-day kick-off will see him not kicking in Tri-Nations), Drew had an off night. I still have yet to see much in Horne - he must have had some great S14 performances - 'cos it is not obvious in anything at Test level so far.

The pack did a lot better - well the front row anyway. Chapman must be pretty awful in Robbie's eyes not to have got on to replace Mumm.

And I continue to wonder who Elsom is married to?? Hodgo must be itching to show how much better he would be than the welded-on option.

And, at some point, I think we should appoint a Captain - having played the last 3 tests without one.

'God invented beer to prevent Props from taking over the world'

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    ..........and Mumm continues to surprise me as to why he is still in the team.
    Daddy is pretty important at aru head quarters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    Beale's brain explosion in dribbling that kick over when he couldve passed, will haunt him while he gets splinters. Drew had too much KY on his hands, couldnt hold onto the ball and Mumm continues to surprise me as to why he is still in the team.

how far away are Alexander, Moore and Polota-nau?
    Mumm's in the squad because Sharpie and Horwill are injured and Chisolm's shit........er than him

C'mon the

vCash
    1998 to 2001 was a good time for the wallabies but seriously what have you done since then?

1991 was just one tournament. You've won the tri nations only twice, in 2000 and 2001.

You've won the bledisloe 12 times to New Zealands 37. Last one back in good old 2002.

The glory days have gone for you.

Ok I'm going back into my glass house now as I have run out of stones.

And so you don't go looking for the records, we've played each other 28 times, 17 wins to you 10 to us and one draw.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Poey looked to be captaining at one stage towards the end.
    I saw that as well he was really pissed when they kicked for touch at the end He wanted to to kick for goal !!

Drew did himself no favours.
    What a price prick

Sharpie was missed.
    He should have been captain from the word go

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by welshrugbyfan View Post
    Ok I'm going back into my glass house now as I have run out of stones.
    Oh don't worry, you have several coming at you right now

vCash
    has anyone noticed brown standing next to elsom for the anthem in the tests this year.

vCash
    Not impressive at all following the 1st England test in Perth..why can't they play like that more often than not?

Watched the All Black games and a couple of the Springbok games and I've got to say the Wallabies look a distant third.

At this stage, I'd say the Sprinboks are top dogs given their all-round ability and depth in the reserves.

All Blacks are abit behind, without a fired up Carter (who's been in unbelievable form this winter), there are a few question marks.

Wallabies..well, this past game, the forwards were pretty soft and hard to see them, even with Sharpie back in the fold, compete on par with the other two.

vCash
    Sadly I agree. watched SA against Italy the other night and it just spins me out the amount of talent and depth they have amongst the pigs and backs.
    guys like kankowski, juan smith, brussouw might not get a crack. Havent seen devilliers on the wing since he burst on the scene to accomodate butch james playing out of position or dejong.
    Was hoping the AB's would falter a bit but even theyre blooding a few young jets.
    Could be a long season but for better or worse we'll stay true to the wallabies.

ps Pierre spies is a freak. can we clone him?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by welshrugbyfan View Post

Ok I'm going back into my glass house now
    .................to sit back and watch old video tapes of JPR, JJ & Co?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast