Our players aren't criminals, says Peter De Villiers

SAM WORTHINGTON
July 13, 2010 - 11:17AM

Never a dull moment with Peter de Villiers.

The colourful Springboks coach was at his entertaining best yesterday as a wounded South Africa plot revenge in Saturday's second Tri Nations test in Wellington.

There will be at least two changes when de Villiers names his side today as the tourists settle on replacements for suspended lock Bakkies Botha and injured prop Jannie du Plessis.

De Villiers was straight into his work at the team's media session as he responded to a question about the team's injured pride following last Saturday's 32-12 humbling at the hands of the All Blacks.

"There's nothing wrong with our pride," he said. "We lost the game, it doesn't mean that our players and people are all criminals."

He then compared the Springboks to Tiger Woods, who "doesn't win every tournament he plays in" but was an "outstanding icon and example to look up to".

In between raising eyebrows, de Villiers admitted the All Blacks were "very good" and deserved winners at Eden Park, even quipping that it was the first time he had seen coach Graham Henry smile.

As for the lethargic performance of his own men?

"They were bad, really bad. I feel bad as a person to let the country down like that."

De Villiers also had a crack at television's handling of Botha's headbutt on Jimmy Cowan, a senseless act which earned the big lock a nine-week ban.

The coach complained the headbutt was replayed "over and over and over again" while the buildup to the incident was ignored.

"Nobody ever saw that on TV, how they pulled [Botha] back without the ball. And if TV were a bit just, and honest, they would have played that too."

Botha has expressed his remorse via a press release and de Villiers indicated the brain snap would not hurt his future selection chances.

"They found him guilty and they gave him a suspension. I think the case is closed."

De Villiers admitted the Springboks were not prepared for the All Blacks' potent mix of aggression and counter-attack in Auckland, but felt the loss might produce long-term benefits.

"Maybe we got into a comfort zone," he mused. "Maybe they unexpectedly caught us napping ... and that is out of character for us.

"I think we were surprised and then again, we must not for one minute, play down the three or four times that they played the [Botha] incident over the big screen."There is no doubt the new rule interpretations suit New Zealand more than the Springboks.

South Africa's usual strength – kick and chase – was poor in the first test but it appears better execution will be the focus at training this week rather than overhauling the gameplan.

"This will bring the best out in all of us," de Villiers said. "There's no doubt in my mind that we can bounce back."

The Dominion Post