Queensland Facebook 'troll' pleads guilty

Queensland Facebook 'troll' pleads guilty

15:20 AEST Mon Aug 2 2010
    1 day 1 hour 53 minutes ago

By ninemsn staff
    VIEWS: 0
    | FLOCKS: 0
    | 0 comments so far

Jessica Cook defaced a Facebook tribute page.

Facebook 'troll' Jessica Cook has pleaded guilty to defacing a page dedicated to a murdered woman, The Courier Mail reports.
    Gympie shop assistant Ms Cook, 22, was charged with using a carriage service to menace, harass or cause offence after she posted hateful comments and inappropriate photographs on a Facebook tribute page devoted to Justine Jones, who was murdered last month.
    Ms Cook used a fake name to post offensive pictures, including a headless corpse and vagina, onto the page.
    Magistrate Maxine Baldwin described Ms Cook's actions as "appalling, incomprehensible and absolutely sickening."
    She also warned other online trolls that the "heavy hand of the law will come down on you" if inappropriate material is posted on social networking sites.
    Ms Cook's lawyer, Michael Connolly, claimed that she was bullied as a child and suffered mental health problems.
    Mr Connolly said she used the internet "as a way of venting her frustrations".
    "She started trolling to get her point of view across but obviously it got out of control," he said.
    "She has no desire to start trolling again."
    It is unknown whether or not Ms Cook knew Ms Jones, whose body was found in a Sunshine Coast rubbish tip.
    Ms Cook has been given a three-month suspended sentence and is banned from using social networking sites.
    "Troll" is a common online term used to described a person who posts offensive or misleading material in a bid to provoke a reaction from others.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/...roll-sentenced

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    contary to popular belief,I have been advised she is NO relation of muddie

vCash
    Stupid government and their corrupt laws. Facebook is a bloodie joke and this stuff happens all the time. You can't just pick out one person, whoever is making these decisions should be sent on the next plane to North Korea. Also the judge is an idiot.

Making a RIP facebook page is like walking into a room full of bikie's, and to start asking them to sign a petition that supports the death sentence for convicted drug dealers, while kicking them in the shins.

But just replace the loser bikie's with loser trolls and the petition with a facebook RIP page.

The women is obviously a complete loser and has no friends for a reason. But the problem here is facebook and twitter are privately owned. They are not a right!! They are a privilege. Anyone who thinks they have rights on facebook need to turn their computer off immediately. Smash it to pieces and never use the internet again. What has happened looks terrible, but in fact is harmless and anyone who is familiar with the internet will know this stuff happens every hour of the day.

I wish i could vote next week.....Vote #1: Hitler, Adolf.....NSDAP!

vCash
    this is a good thing some people think they are above the law when using the internet

vCash
    No, these facebook groups can be made private and stuff like this is easily prevented. It is just a case of some whinging idiots who think they have rights on facebook. You can be abused over facebook under the law but that is a whole different story.

Don't get me wrong, i laughed when i saw this article (because i hate the trolls) but then realized that the government think they can control facebook comments. This is an insult to free speech and just another example of people who don't understand the internet pushing for corrupt laws and corrupt internet filters for whatever reason....

vCash
    technically there is no such thing as free speech in Australia