Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Indigenous Wallabies make their mark

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Indigenous Wallabies make their mark

The Ella family have welcomed the historic selection of three players of Aboriginal descent in the Wallabies' starting line-up to face New Zealand in Saturday night's Bledisloe Cup Test in Christchurch.

Full-back Kurtley Beale, centre Anthony Faingaa and his twin brother and hooker, Saia Faingaa, will start against the All Blacks, while a fourth Indigenous player, flanker Matt Hodgson, has been included on the bench.

The three Ella brothers - twins Mark and Glen, and their younger sibling Gary - all played for the Wallabies during the 1980s, as did their Randwick clubmate Lloyd Walker.

However, only two of the quartet, who were all products of Matraville High in Sydney's south-east, ever played together in the same Test.

"It's a great achievement for the individuals involved and it's a great achievement for Aboriginal people who will be watching this Test with great interest," Gary Ella said in a statement.

"To have three players with Indigenous heritage in the starting team, four in the squad, and an Aboriginal in Jim Williams on the coaching staff, it's big news.

"I know the Ella family is very excited, and so is Lloyd McDermott, the first Aboriginal Test player who has also been a driving force behind the development of young Aboriginal Rugby players.

"You hear about what AFL and rugby league are doing in terms of promoting Indigenous talent, but this is evidence that Rugby Union is also on the right track and providing opportunities."

The Bledisloe Cup Test will take place on the same day the annual National Indigenous under 16 championships kick off in Redfern.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...ion=rugbyunion

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Champion
    vCash
    Matt H aboriginal..... cant be too much in there

Last edited by Burgs; 06-08-10 at 20:40.

vCash
    Completely love this article!!
    Fantastic to see more Indigenous players representing their country, shame its not a more common occurence for rugby.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BDAVEY View Post
    Pretty much the same as Paul "the ginger ninja" Tito playing for the Maori!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    You think he should try harder? C'mon Matty - put a bit more effort in!

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    its definetly a facet of the game which is lacking, someone did a count only recently and im pretty sure these four players are the only four in Aus S14 teams with aboringal heritage, there might be a few more been overlooked, but its something that needs to be worked on.

Last edited by TOCC; 07-08-10 at 21:03. Reason: didnt come out right

Veteran
    vCash
    statistically speaking, isn't it like two percent of the population are aboriginal? how many people play in the super 14 and is it statistically even?

Note: i have no problem and i think they should be encouraged to play!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think you have hit on a bit of a flaw palitu, especially when you consider most of that population are AFL obsessed, with the balance who care about sport NRL obsessed.
    The AFL are very proactive throughout the remote communities in WA, SA, NT & Qld and have a massive headstart on Union.
    Not saying we shouldn't be trying harder, just that we should keep expectations realistic and the current number of elite players really doesn't surprise me.
    The Lloyd McDermott Rugby Development Team is doing wonders though and hopefully before too long we will see players flow through from there rather than being seen as having a glass ceiling.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    statistically speaking, isn't it like two percent of the population are aboriginal? how many people play in the super 14 and is it statistically even?

Note: i have no problem and i think they should be encouraged to play!
    2.3 - 2.7% are some of the figures about. The figure for the AFL players is 10% and I suspect much higher in the NRL where the State of Origin teams number about 33% indigenous players (makes Andrew Johns seem even dumber if possible).

Just shows what great athletes they can become. Also probably shows that Rugby is still demographically an elitist sport and is missing a lot of potential champions.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Although the same accusation could be made of the AFL by that rationale for their lack of PI and NZ players.
    I think the days of "elitist" are far gone when you watch a local match around Australia or look at a Schools Rep teamsheet for contributing schools lately.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Although the same accusation could be made of the AFL by that rationale for their lack of PI and NZ players.
    I'd tend to put that down to cultural/family influences.

Sorry if the word irks a bit but a scroll thru the latest schoolboys teams and the list of schools they attend will tell why there are not so many indigenous kids coming thru. Matraville High is the exception rather than the rule.

Things are changing and there are more Government Schools represented these days but even then they tend to be ones in more affluent suburbs. It's just the way it is. But it is what it is.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    exactly Shasta, aboriginals are naturally very good athletes, proven by there extremely high representation in the elite level sports in comparison to there percentage of the population.

Rugby is very much so a elitist level sport, the large majority of professional players come through the private school system, there are very limited opportunities for those outside the private school system to be picked.

Of the 4 players of aboriginal heritage in the Australian S14 teams, they currently have a 100% conversion rate of making the wallabies. Other known players of aboriginal blood in recent years include Andrew Walker and Timana Tahu, both capped wallabies.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Where I was going with that Shasta is that 20 years ago the WA Schools XV would have been made up of "95%" PSA where as now it is around "50%" and that is reflected across the country as well. NSW is no longer a Joey's/GPS dominated selection. I think the two are a bit seperate in argument though, you don't have to have Aboriginal content to prove that plenty of "working class" play Union.
    It is also a mistake to think that all kids who go to private schools have rich parents. Many do for sure, but I assure you that many parents bust their arses and live in pretty ordinary conditions because they believe (rightly or wrongly) that path of education is the best they can do for their kid/s. For those who come from that kind of a background it is quite insulting to be fobbed of as being elitist or silver tail, even if only by association.
    Don't take this as anger or high horse, just clarifying the point.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    hmm, in the recent Australian Schoolboys Championships only 5 of the 46 man squad from QLD came from schools outside the AIC/GPS competitions.

In NSW it was a little more spread about, with 10 out of the 46 man squad coming from outside the GPS/CSA/ISA competitions.

Elitist isnt necessarily about been rich, like you mention, a private school can potentially provide a better education.... Its this very fact which ferments the 'elitist' stereotype, the idea that a state school wont provide a good enough education so they turn to a private school....

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    You think he should try harder? C'mon Matty - put a bit more effort in!
    steel a few laptops maybe...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast