Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Wallabies star Quade Cooper conducting talks with Parramatta Eels

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

ARU has misread Quade Cooper's intention

ARU has misread Quade Cooper's intention

* Bret Harris
    * August 17, 2010 12:00AM

WESTERN Force announced the signing of New Zealander Willie Ripia yesterday.

But if things had turned out differently the Super 15 franchise could have secured Quade Cooper, averting his threat to switch to rugby league.

Cooper had been interested in moving from Queensland Reds to the Force to join his good friends David Pocock and James O'Connor, and to tap into the bountiful reservoir of third-party endorsements in the west.

But it was obvious that the ARU wanted Cooper to remain in Queensland where his unique brand of playmaking had helped the Reds rise from the bottom of the table.

The ARU is normally appreciative of third-party deals - as long as they comply with recruitment protocols - because they help to keep leading Wallabies out of the clutches of rich clubs in Europe and Japan.

But Cooper's situation was different.

The ARU is administering the Queensland Rugby Union after it went into receivership. And it needs a drawcard like Cooper to sell tickets.

Crowds at Reds games increased by 29 per cent in this year's Super 14 series and that was due largely to the exciting brand of rugby Queensland played as a result of Cooper's direction of the attack.

From a Wallabies perspective, there was a view that it would be in the national interest for Cooper to continue to develop his outstanding combination with Reds halfback Will Genia.

Genia and Cooper are regarded as the new "Gregan and Larkham" and are set to direct Queensland and Australia for years to come.

The Force, aware it would be politically dangerous to snare Cooper from Queensland, made a standard offer to him, which he rejected.

Cooper indicated he would stay in Queensland where he could attract some third-party money, but not as much as he could have commanded in Perth.

Yet if Cooper had secured a lucrative third-party deal in Perth, it may have taken pressure off the ARU financially and helped to fend off the threat from rugby league.

But no one saw that threat coming. Even last Friday, ARU chief executive John O'Neill dismissed speculation about Parramatta's interest in Cooper as an attempt by his management to bump up his price.

But it is now clear that Cooper is serious about switching codes if the ARU does not increase its top-up.

The ARU has badly misread Cooper, his dreams and ambitions.

While the lure of playing for the Wallabies in the 2011 World Cup in New Zealand is great, so is the possibility of playing State of Origin and becoming a dual international.

Cooper is demanding remuneration which reflects not what he was or what he will be, but what he is - one of the world's premier playmakers.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225906088264

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Bret Harris actually suggesting a big Force deal would've been a good thing? Who is this guy and what has he done with the real Bret Harris? And why wasn't there a post script on the article about how the Wallabies would be better off if they just played the Brumbies first XV.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    More bullshit articles
    Posted via Mobile Device

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Starting to sound like a Force fan TOCC.
    Deny, deny, deny...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Rookie
    vCash
    One year out from a WC he'd be crazy to leave. But saying that he might. Pity. However, here's a conspiracy for you. Perhaps the real culprits behind the hype are the ARU. Sounds implausible, right. But have a think about the buzz and intense media interest this has created especially here on the East Coast. The NRL willing to give an arm, leg and the first born for a Rugby player in front of an intense media circus.

Could the ARU be using his agent to gain alot of free publicity by manipulating another code. Yes, I know the are serious questions regarding its ability to do so but when you consider that the RWC Cup is mentioned constantly, the ARU's confidence in retaining him while his team mates are now saying that he should stay BUT if he did 'he would kill it'.

They are soon off to SA. Wouldn't surprise me if this continues right up until the next Bledisloe in Sydney. Will be interesting to see how many people tune in to see exactly how good he is against the best in the world.

Its just a theory. More than likely completely off the mark. But if so it could be a masterstroke.

vCash
    Starting to sound like a broken record here, at least to myself, but here goes..... again. If this bloke's speculation is anywhere the mark then the ARU have been manipulating Cooper's situation to, among other things, facilitate his remaining at The Reds. That's out of order whether the Wallabies benefit or not.

I've long suspected the way top-up negotiations seem to have dragged out with players at certain franchises and been expedited with others. There's seemed to be a clear bias in the distribution of ARU top-ups towards the two franchises within the borders of NSW.

Has the ARU now decided that it's in their interest to prop up the Reds because they are under administration? This after they ignored ignored their situation in the past by quickly approving ARU top-ups, clearing the way for certain players to be lured south? Because of their machinations has Cooper almost slipped through their grasp? If he hasn't, will his asking price be far higher than it would have been had they just let him go play with his mates in Perth?

There's only one solution far as I can see - distribute all funds available for S15 salaries equally and let the market decide where they play. Base Wallaby earnings on higher match payments with increments determined by the number of tests played. Introduce a standard contract salary but allow 3rd party sponsorship for marquee players.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I'm a little bit dirty about Quade's assertion that it's unreasonable for the media to be speculating that he's just after more money int he same breath as he says that the prime determinant in his decision will be the money.........maybe he's better suited to League than we're giving him credit for!

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Newcastle Knights join race to snare Quade Cooper if he switches codes

Newcastle Knights join race to snare Quade Cooper if he switches codes

By Stuart Honeysett
    August 17, 2010

Having been burned by Mark Gasnier in 2008, the NRL has told Quade Cooper it will not offer any financial guarantees to top up his contract even if he is genuine about switching codes.

The message came as the interest in Cooper intensified, with Newcastle Knights considering joining Parramatta in the race to sign the Wallabies superstar.

The Knights went within a whisker of snaring Cooper when he was last off contract in 2007 on the recommendation of club great Matthew Johns.

Newcastle strategic development manager Keith Onslow has maintained a close relationship with the Wallabies five-eighth and the club would look to third-party deals to prop up any proposed bid.

The Knights showed their hand as NRL marketing manager Paul Kind met Cooper's manager, Richard Colreavy, at the league's headquarters..

Colreavy turned up for the meeting half an hour early to hear how about any opportunities the NRL had to offer.

Kind told him it was an exciting time to be involved in rugby league with changes to the salary cap, the formation of an independent commission and a new television deal all expected to generate more revenue for its players.

"We had an open discussion about how sponsorship programs works," Kind said.

"He was offered no guarantees from us but if he signs we'd be happy to meet again and talk about what it means to have him as a rugby league player.

"It's a pretty exciting time for a young, elite athlete to be considering rugby league because in the near future the game has a lot of potential, positive change."

The NRL is reticent to guarantee a third-party sponsorship after becoming caught out by Gasnier's move to French rugby in 2008.

The St George Illawarra star centre exploited a loophole in his contract that allowed him to leave the code if any of his payments from proposed TPAs fell through.

Gasnier left a bitter man after believing the NRL had done little to help him even though the league has always maintained it could never offer a guarantee in a player's contract when it comes to sponsors' money.

"We made it really clear to every player manager that's come through here that we can't guarantee sponsorship money or ambassadorial money or any form of salary top-up," Kind said.

"We make it clearer now as a result of the discussions around Mark Gasnier that they can't make their decisions based on financial increases from the NRL."

Parramatta has done its best to lure Cooper to the Eels by offering a deal worth an estimated $500,000 a season.

"I'm just waiting to hear from them," Eels chief Paul Osborne said yesterday. "I still think there's a fair amount of leveraging to go."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...018866,00.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Starting to sound like a broken record here, at least to myself, but here goes..... again. If this bloke's speculation is anywhere the mark then the ARU have been manipulating Cooper's situation to, among other things, facilitate his remaining at The Reds. That's out of order whether the Wallabies benefit or not.

I've long suspected the way top-up negotiations seem to have dragged out with players at certain franchises and been expedited with others. There's seemed to be a clear bias in the distribution of ARU top-ups towards the two franchises within the borders of NSW.

Has the ARU now decided that it's in their interest to prop up the Reds because they are under administration? This after they ignored ignored their situation in the past by quickly approving ARU top-ups, clearing the way for certain players to be lured south? Because of their machinations has Cooper almost slipped through their grasp? If he hasn't, will his asking price be far higher than it would have been had they just let him go play with his mates in Perth?
    Lets not get ahead of ourselves, it gave no indication as to how the ARU 'facilitated' Quade to remain at the Reds..

The only way i can imagine that they could possibly do this is by offering him a larger ARU salary to remain at the Reds as opposed to the Force... Which we can obviously see isnt the case considering he hasnt signed with the ARU at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    Lets not get ahead of ourselves, it gave no indication as to how the ARU 'facilitated' Quade to remain at the Reds..

The only way i can imagine that they could possibly do this is by offering him a larger ARU salary to remain at the Reds as opposed to the Force... Which we can obviously see isnt the case considering he hasnt signed with the ARU at all.
    Your speculation has reasonable logic but no less speculative than everyone else.. Who knows what really transpired ey!

heres mine
    The ARU may have cut a deal with the Force to only offer Quade a standard contract in return for additional funding for the State or similar incentive.. Because of this Quade remained at the Reds purely because it was the better of the two offers at face value.. and given his recent raised profile he would get better offers from a third party point of view as well.

who knows what really happened - the fact is Quade would not be looking elsewhere if he was happy.. the simple truth of the matter.. his management team wouldnt be going off half cocked trying to get him a better deal if he really wanted to stay at the Reds and Rugby Union.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

No 'crazy money' for Quade Cooper: ARU

No 'crazy money' for Quade Cooper: ARU
    By David Beniuk, AAP August 17, 2010, 4:30 pm

Australian Rugby Union boss John O'Neill is adamant he won't pay "crazy money" for Quade Cooper, but remains confident the star five-eighth will stay with the 15-man game.

The stakes were raised in the battle for Cooper's services when his manager Richard Colreavy met NRL officials on Monday in the wake of interest from league clubs Parramatta and Newcastle.

The 22-year-old has reportedly been offered $500,000 a year to join the Eels, while the ARU have tabled a guaranteed $350,000 plus match payments which could take his earnings to $600,000 a season.

O'Neill, who has sought to rein in player payments, said he would not be bullied into paying overs for Cooper, the player whose meteoric rise has made him a key to Australia's World Cup challenge next year.

"We're confident we can come to an arrangement with Quade that's in his best interests, not just financially but for him as a person and someone who can make an enormous mark on our game," O'Neill told reporters on Tuesday.

"He is a very important and valuable part of the future of Australian rugby and particularly the Wallabies, but we won't be paying crazy money, it will be money that's appropriate for a player of his value."

The rest here....

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post

TOCC you strike me as a very down to earth person with a pretty level-headed view of rugby in Australia but you can't deny the ARU wouldn't have made efforts to ensure Cooper stayed at the Reds.

Probably these would have been by exerting enormous policitical pressure on the Force. Or perhaps by indicating that certain things the Force might have done that a blind eye was turned to may be reinvestigated. One way or another it is what the ARU wanted and they would've taken actions, however indirect, to achieve this. And it remains the correct decision given that the Reds are under receivership and the Force now have a competent 10 for the next two years.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    TOCC you strike me as a very down to earth person with a pretty level-headed view of rugby in Australia but you can't deny the ARU wouldn't have made efforts to ensure Cooper stayed at the Reds.

Probably these would have been by exerting enormous policitical pressure on the Force. Or perhaps by indicating that certain things the Force might have done that a blind eye was turned to may be reinvestigated. One way or another it is what the ARU wanted and they would've taken actions, however indirect, to achieve this. And it remains the correct decision given that the Reds are under receivership and the Force now have a competent 10 for the next two years.
    Political pressure would have resulted in the Force withdrawing there offer not Quade rejecting there offer.

The only influencing the ARU could have done on Quade was to offer him more money to remain with one province over another.. Now as blatantly obvious, that wasnt the case.

vCash
    My main point is that the ARU having any influence over, or for that matter opinion about, who plays where is fundamentally flawed whether the outcome is "good for the game" in the present circumstance or not. One of the problems the game faces here in Australia is the archaic, politically hamstrung system of governance. The player contracting SNAFU is a symptom, and a product, of that.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Hasn't Cooper got a big third party deal from a Qld businessman? That was what was reported months ago as being part of the reason for him staying in Qld.

Either way, all this latest reporting is not a good look for him. After the massive support given to him by the ARU and particularly the QRU during his troublesome year, this all looks a bit selfish.

That said, I hope he is not lost to rugby.

---------- Post added at 23:54 ---------- Previous post was at 23:51 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    Your speculation has reasonable logic but no less speculative than everyone else.. Who knows what really transpired ey!

heres mine
    The ARU may have cut a deal with the Force to only offer Quade a standard contract in return for additional funding for the State or similar incentive.. Because of this Quade remained at the Reds purely because it was the better of the two offers at face value.. and given his recent raised profile he would get better offers from a third party point of view as well.

who knows what really happened - the fact is Quade would not be looking elsewhere if he was happy.. the simple truth of the matter.. his management team wouldnt be going off half cocked trying to get him a better deal if he really wanted to stay at the Reds and Rugby Union.
    Here's mine - he enjoys playing at the Reds, he sees the Reds as having a great foundation for future success and his family and friends are in Brisbane.

Three solid reasons to stay.

I'm just saying..

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast