Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2 More Years at Subi!

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    I have found the perfect place for a new stadium. About 290 km north of Perth up the Brand Hwy.
    Heaps of parking , make as much noise and light as you could dream of and the local Pub would love it. The land is cheap as well.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    290km...

vCash
    Is there a problem with that???????????????????

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan
    Thus look at the realities and accept it and move on...no use asking for something the government will not deliver.

Just get the damn thing built...and then develop to 35,000 after that...seeing where we are after the hype noobs have dissapeared (which had the same boost of crowds that Perth Glory/Warriors/Heat/Reds all received)
    Firstly thanks for the response Egan, much appreciated.

Burgs, I have to totally disagree with your statement about getting the damned thing built. Two reasons why. Firstly, why should you base an argument on poor past decision making, we should be insisting that a long term solution be taken now and not accept that the government will not make a logical decision which will help all sports in Perth. This decision should be based on growth forecasts and not based on current figures. The logic behind this is long and boring but the bottom line is it encourages the growth and it is the more cost effective solution. We, the people and corporations can persuade the government to make the right decision. Secondly, accepting the short term MES solution will be extremely detrimental to the growth of the Force. We are seeing now that Super 14 is moving even further into corporate funding, whether we like it or not, i.e. player incentives. With the Force's mammoth corporate support, from corporate box sales and sponsorship, they can not afford to accept any short term stadium solutions as they will stunt the growth of the franchise and debilitate our chances of being the top team in Super 14.

I take this issue very seriously as I feel it will directly impact on The Force's future success.

Just happy to be here

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Um TEF, perhaps re-read the posts mate, it is actually Egan saying "Just get the damn thing built".
    My argument is NOT to expand Members Equity for the sake of it because it is irrelevant at the proposed size, much along the lines of your thoughts.
    It is money better used being put into the new 60k+ one.
    I was saying further up if that location is the one to use then we would be better off bulldozing it and starting again.
    That would be a wasted asset though and I believe that it should be left as the minor stadium for sports that don't attract big crowds (ie Glory/Hockey etc) and the Force play at the new one where ever that may be and however long it takes to get it built.
    If the Force only play Finals in the new Stadium (potentially maximum of two per year) then there will be one Rugby International per year being played there.
    Moving to Members Equity to a crazy small capacity when we are already getting bigger crowds than it can hold is a nonsense, especially with a perfectly good 60k+ being proposed.
    Rugby is having a massive growth, our expats community is having continued growth and the support for the team will continue to grow.
    I personally know of at least twenty people who are not members this year who are keen to be in 2007.
    You can put your head in the sand and pretend that Members Equity is the answer and that the Force are going to follow the path of the Glory and the Reds but Blind Freddy can see that Rugby Union is going to continue to expand in this State and Members Equity would be a disastrous bottle neck on that growth.
    For me, Subiaco it is until a new one can get built, don't kill the code before it gets to it's potential.

You're on steak rations next time

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    POWER TO BURGS!

vCash
    Heated debate fellas! As hot as a barbie! Will the govt pass on the hot potato?

I agree that Perth needs both a smaller and larger RECTANGULAR FIELD STADIUM. This will cover both minor and major sport franchises and Internationals (and World Cup pools). Subi at 41K is OK till something better is built for rugby. Force crowds at 30K will only increase up to the capacity of Subi. 8)

As a regular visitor to WA for nearly 30 years, I can sympathise with both the doubters and the dreamers as to the govt's response- which will be hesitant and piecemeal. On no account should the MES option be agreed to as the home of Force, because that'll be the end of it!

Some perspectives from the Brisbane scene are that; the Western Stand (corporate boxes) at Suncorp/Lang Park , and the Northern Stand (corporate boxes) at the Gabba were built first, and many years BEFORE any subsequent redevelopments (Gabba stand by stand, Lang Park had rest demolished & rebuilt). So even a 60K stadium can be built in stages over a decade, but with corporate boxes first! Suncorp/Lang Park was to be that size but was limited to 52K.

The SITE of MES sounds good with its two train stations and no-doubt bus access. Elsewhere Burswood mentioned as possible site too.

The multi purpose stadium with retractable seating in Sydney is only ever used for Internationals and code finals, and not much for cricket or Aussie Rules at that ! It could work as an option for Perth though, with a Subi upgrade to 60K ( + retractable seating ). It might be the best solution, and one which the WA Govt could get its head around and justify/sell.

That solution could be the Big Plan, whilst beforehand the MES could be upgraded gradually to 35K as the small rectangular stadium for soccer & hockey & league. Both redevelopments could occur over the same decade, with any Aussie Rules games affected diverted to WACA, if thats still possible.

from little things, big things grow...

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    You're on steak rations next time
    Bugger, sorry Burgs. Back to school....must read whole question before answering!!!!!!

Just happy to be here

vCash

Thumbs up

This is just me - build this freakin' 22,000 seater rectangular stadium and do whatever needs to happen to it over the coming years.
    Wallaby games, Force v. Crusader, Waratahs, Brumbies, Bulls? Reds? play at Subiaco Oval (and any other suprises!)
    The rest do it at MES - including rest of Super 14 teams, APC, visiting teams and the Perth Gold.

My theory 30,000 blue people at half time as the Force left the field 21-8 up against the Crusader looked frightening. 20-22,000 blue supporters in a 22,000 seater will be horrendously frightening.

Don't know about Perth Gold though......Think there'll be 5,000 if they are lucky!

290k's - everybody else is taking one game to the country - not a bad idea FT !

Brother Gallagher I hear you

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Todays Sunday Times:
    Biggest crowd- 37,037 v Brumbies
    Average Crowd- 28,424 (Highest in Australia)
    2006 Membership- Approx 22,000
    Members Equity AFTER expansion- 22,000 seat capacity.....

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower
    I have found the perfect place for a new stadium. About 290 km north of Perth up the Brand Hwy.
    Heaps of parking , make as much noise and light as you could dream of and the local Pub would love it. The land is cheap as well.
    Where you at Flamethrower???

I go shooting on a mates property in Dandarigan, sounds close to you and this new stadium site??

vCash
    About 90km more up the road InnFORCER.

I got it all worked out. We could all park on the side of the hill to watch and if everyone turned on their headlights we could have a night game!!!!!!!!!!!

Makes as much sense as a 35k seat stadium.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Eneabba or Dongara?

vCash
    Oh GOD!!! They're closing in!!!!!!!!!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower