Read all the reaction from the Rugby Sevens event at the 2010 Commonwealth Games in Delhi as New Zealand, Australia and South Africa win the three medals on offer.

New Zealand created Commonwealth Games history following their 24-17 victory over Australia in the gold medal match, becomming the first team to win four consecutive gold medals in a team sport event at the Commonwealth Games.

Tries from Lote Raikabula, DJ Forbes, Sherwin Stowers and Kurt Baker ensured Gordon Tietjens' side remain unbeaten since the sport's introduction into the Games in 1998, and although Australia will be disappointed they didn't capitalise on a 17-7 lead in the second half, Michael O'Connor's side achieved their best ever result at the Games, having won bronze in 1998.

Who was your player of the Commonwealth Games?
Raikabula and Liam Messam both won their second gold medals, while South Africa had earlier dramatically beaten England 17-14 to clinch the bronze and Samoa beat Scotland to win the Plate.

Papua New Guinea collected the first piece of silverware at the Delhi University stadium, beating Canada 17-10 to deservedly win the Bowl. Shane Howarth's side were the only team other than New Zealand to win all three of their matches on the second day, and had narrowly missed out on two upsets on the opening day, losing 17-12 to Kenya and scoring three tries against reigning World Series champions Samoa.

DJ Forbes, New Zealand (gold medallists)
On what winning gold means to him:
"I have been injured for three months so I am just grateful to God for blessing the boys. This is a moment I will remember for the rest of my life and I am grateful Tietjens had the faith to select me because I have not done much running. I have spent a lot of time on my knees praying instead.

"Now we can leave all the pressure of winning those three gold medals behind us."

Hosea Gear, New Zealand
On the final:
“It was definitely the hardest game we've played over the two days. Australia turned the ball over a lot, which made it difficult for us.”

On matching his brother Rico Gear, who won a Commonwealth Gold medal in 2002:

“My parents will be stoked now that there are two golds in the family.”

Liam Messam, New Zealand
On their second half performance:
"We were out on our feet but the boys dug deep and it was awesome we managed to take it out."

Michael O'Connor, Australia coach (silver medallists)
On the final defeat to New Zealand:
"We were conscious that a side like New Zealand could come back from a 10-point deficit and unfortunately that’s what happened and that’s the way it goes I guess."

On winning silver:
“To win silver is an outstanding achievement and the boys played really well, I couldn’t have asked for any more and I’m extremely proud of them. I think a few of the boys showed serious credentials over the last two days which should stand them in good stead to get a call up to the national team.”

Pat McCutcheon, Australia
On what the difference was in the final:
“A few mistakes were costly and our execution wasn’t 100 percent, a few knock-ons, dropped balls and pushed passes really cost us. But for the boys to win the silver medal it’s reward for all the hard work that has been put in over the last 12 months, and it’s a tremendous achievement to record Australia’s best result at a Commonwealth Games.”

Lachie Turner, Australia
On having to settle for silver:
“It’s a huge thing for Australian Rugby Sevens. We were good enough to go a step further but didn’t make the most of our opportunities and gave them a sniff there towards the end. It’s gut-wrenching.”

Paul Treu, South Africa coach (bronze medallists)
On their victory over England:
“The boys responded splendidly to the challenge and I am delighted for the lads. It was a tough ask of the guys after the disappointment of losing to Australia in the semi final, but they showed real mental strength to come back from 14-5 down to shut out the game against a very good English team.”

Ben Ryan, England coach
On how it feels to narrowly miss out on a medal:
"We leave Delhi without anything and we're bitterly disappointed. It's very frustrating but I believe in these players and believe we can go on and win a World Series with this side."

Stephen Gemmell, Scotland coach
On Scotland's performance in his final Sevens hurrah:
“We showed today that when we bring our A-game we can compete with the best. We were seeded eighth and leave sixth and I think the players should be proud of themselves. It’s been an honour to be part of Team Scotland. We had a number of Scottish athletes and officials supporting us today. I think that it’s a credit to how we’ve integrated into the team and hopefully we gave a bit back.”

Paul John, Wales coach
On what Wales can take from the Commonwealth Games:
“The Commonwealth Games has been a great experience for us and will no doubt stand us in good stead for the forthcoming HSBC Sevens World Series. It was disappointing to be two players down for the vast majority of the tournament because that is obviously going to have a big impact on the rest of the squad.

"Having said that, all the remaining players dug really deep with Lee Rees and new cap Tom Prydie performing well even out of position. Aaron Shingler, also new to the Sevens set-up also had a great tournament and it was great to be competitive against New Zealand.”

Shane Howarth, Papua New Guinea coach (Bowl winners)
On winning some silverware:
"I'm really pleased for the boys. I gave them a few tough words after the first game and I think it hit home. They haven't seen the coach grumpy before. They are a great bunch of lads and they deserve it. Hopefully the pictures of these guys winning will get through to home and make them realise they really mean business."

Albert Levi, Papua New Guinea
On the feeling of winning the Bowl:
"It's really a privilege. I'm very excited. Against giants we worked hard as a team and won. It's amazing, it's tremendous. I just can't express what it feels like. It's just something different. The celebrations back home will be incredible.”

On what this means for rugby union in Papua New Guinea:
“It will be incredible. The main sport (back home) is rugby league. (Rugby) union is not big but it is slowly becoming a national sport and this win helps.”

iRB