Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Laptop

vCash

New Laptop

My local computer repair shop declared my laptop dead.

Cause of death: bluescreen

I had become very attached to it over the last two and a half years.

Time to buy a new one. I only use it to browse the internet, e-mail and basic games. I dont use it for work so I will only need a basic model.

The computer shop suggested a couple;
    HP 620 notebook
    Lenovo G560

My dead one cost me a couple of grand but realising now that my needs are not too complicated I will probably only need to spend about one thousand.

Has anyone bought one recently? and does anyone have any suggestions?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Our organisation uses Lenovo and in geek land its reputed we are the second hardest organisation on laptops behind the Army.

We used to get the extended 3 year warranty and get rid of them the day that expired but now we go to "replace on failure" and some have gone 4 years.

But always spend the extra to get the 3 year warranty.

vCash
    Lenovo are ok. They bought out IBM actually .. If you liked IBM laptops then you know what youre instore for with lenovo.. Personally I hated IBM's little red dot mouse thingo. so have always avoided them but they do have a rep for toughness.. Personally id go toshiba.. Mid range pricing innovative features and good quality. Up to you really as to what youre looking for.. An ideal time to some needs based purchasing
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Thanks gerry,
    Because of your post I went back and checked my extended warranty which I thought was 2 years but is in fact 3 years. I will contact the computer shop tomorrow. Dont know whether this will be covered under warranty.
    When I first encountered the bluescreen problem they charged me 3 hrs labour to re-install vista thinking it was a software problem. One week after getting it back encountered same problem again and took it back. They said it was an issue with the graphics card which they were unable to replace, they think it may have overheated at some stage and has caused damage to the motherboard... my eyes were glazing over at this stage as I made appropriate grunts pretending I was the full bottle on all of this.... does it sound like it might be covered under warranty? - it looks like a hardware problem rather than a software problem....

vCash
    Dell

Do not buy Dell

That is all I have to contribute

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    had a major bluescreen of death issue with this computer(desk top)
    windows troubleshooter suggested a hardware problem
    removed & then reinstalled the ram sticks(my son's idea)
    no problems since!

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Technically, I'm not sure that Lenovo bought out IBM, but they do make the laptops with the IBM brand.

I've always favoured Toshiba but you'd need to look around at reviews of their various models of laptop.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    pick a budget first, and then check out the market. There are plenty of quality $1000 laptops, but there are also plenty of good $1200 laptops, and $1300 laptops, and $1400 laptops etc. Most aspects will probably be somewhat similar - but personally I'd go with an i5 processor based system and also look for good battery life when making a decision.

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Concur with the Toshiba.

That's the one the Army uses.

Bit late now but the best time to buy a lappy is about 5 minutes before the store closes on June 30.

At the same time of end of any month is good too.

Know what you want. Walk in and ask for a deal. You will be amazed what they will do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    pick a budget first, and then check out the market. There are plenty of quality $1000 laptops, but there are also plenty of good $1200 laptops, and $1300 laptops, and $1400 laptops etc. Most aspects will probably be somewhat similar - but personally I'd go with an i5 processor based system and also look for good battery life when making a decision.
    That's because they are all made in similar towns in China!

$1000 - $1400 can get you just about any laptop..including a Macbook. For what he uses it for there's no need to spend more than $500. Hopefully his warranty covers it.

vCash
    If it's a hardware issue other than battery, I'd be asking the warranty question before shelling out the reddies it'll only cost you time and angst. If you have neither to spare, buy new
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    2004: IBM PCD introduces the ThinkCentre ultra small desktop PC, no larger than a box of corn flakes.

IBM PCD introduces the first notebook with an integrated fingerprint reader.

IBM PCD ships its 100-millionth PC (counting both desktop and notebook computers).

Lenovo becomes the Olympic worldwide partner. It is the first Chinese company to become a computer technology equipment partner of the IOC.

Lenovo decides to develop the rural market by launching the "Yuanmeng" PC series designed for township home users.

Lenovo and IBM announce an agreement by which Lenovo will acquire IBM’s Personal Computing Division, its global PC (desktop and notebook computer) business. The acquisition forms a top-tier (third-largest) global PC leader.
    2005: Lenovo completes the acquisition of IBM's Personal Computing Division, making it a new international IT competitor and the third-largest personal computer company in the world.

vCash
    Toshiba is my choice as well.
    I've been in IT 22yrs and funny enough every company that I worked for always gave the staff a Dell (Crap), but top management and the CEO wouldn't touch a Dell, they only use Toshiba.
    Toshiba is rated the top laptop in the world for a reason, it's reliable and it's always 1 step ahead of the competition

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to ..........."

vCash
    seriously if all you are going to do is surf the 'net, check email and play games, then get an iPad.

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MI5_Dog View Post
    seriously if all you are going to do is surf the 'net, check email and play games, then get an iPad.
    AAAHHH WHERES THE SMOTE BUTTON!?!?!

yes, also i really like the Lenovos, i accidental sat on my work one, no problems...

My mate has a toshiba and they seem to work really well, he had no problems with it, except for that massive storm... turns out storms beat laptops hands down... also, dont try to use them tlo collect water... water also beats laptops.

my girlfriends wants a mac book. im trying really hard to convince her otherwise... it's a bit of a mission...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast