Thread: Possum’s Lays His Chainsaw to Rest

vCash

Possum’s Lays His Chainsaw to Rest

This is a copy of a media release from the chiefs

The trusty chainsaw will go to rest after the final whistle blows at the Waikato vs Canterbury game on Friday night at Waikato Stadium.

Warren “Possum” Allen has decided to hang up his chainsaw after 20 years of standing in the cherry picker which looks over the entire stadium. He uses the chain break to make different tones with his chainsaw and plays along to the Mooloo song when the team runs out.

His duties also include turning up three hours before kickoff, setting up the cherry picker, throwing out lollies to the young fans, walking around the stadium and introducing himself to the patrons, interacting with the crowd and revving the chainsaw when the opposition are kicking at goal and when the home team score a try.

“I love the atmosphere at the games and as a born and breed Hamiltonian; I love the passion we have for our rugby. I’m honoured to be a part of our local team. I’m sad I will be leaving my post and it was a struggle to say that I was retiring but I’m now moving into a new era where I will be in the stadium with my family and the Waikato rugby family. You never know I might have a few lollies on me”

After 20 years of dedication to both the Chiefs and Waikato seasons has seen the Waikato Rugby Union and the Chiefs gift Possum a 3 year family membership for him to share with his 3 daughters and 2 grandchildren.

“My oldest grandson knows I’m well-known. He came home from school and said that my teacher said I was famous which was pretty cool.”

The name Possum came from his time working as a qualified line mechanic where he used to build powerlines. After colouring his hair orange and black and styling it into a Mohawk, his workmates yelled to him “looks like a possum up a pole”.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    TFFT!

Now if they could just turn their attention to those fuggin' cow bells.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Send miniGIGS over there, he'd have 'em cleaned up in a couple of weeks
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David