Thread: Mortlock celebrates comeback with a try

vCash

Mortlock celebrates comeback with a try

STIRLING MORTLOCK successfully completed his long-awaited comeback to rugby last night, scoring a try in the Melbourne Rebels' 42-27 win over Fiji in a trial game in Ballarat.

Mortlock has not played since undergoing back surgery midway through last year, but the former Australian skipper looked comfortable during the 40 minutes he played.

However, the same could not be said for the Rebels, who were torn apart in a 10-minute stanza by the Fijians in the final quarter - the game was played in four 20-minute periods - conceding two tries in a worrying fade-out for coach Rod Macqueen, who used different squads for each half.

Mortlock said it had felt good to finally be back on the field.

''I was considerably more nervous than I would have been for a normal trial but it was good to feel nervous and it was nice to get back on the horse,'' Mortlock said.

''I felt fine as far as the back and everything so injury-wise there was no drama whatsoever.

''From a cohesive perspective, from the second quarter of the first half, the combinations were a little bit better. I feel next week is going to be a massive step up so I'm looking forward to that.''

After dour wins against Tonga, the Rebels needed a step up in opponent to round off their preparation for the start of its inaugural Super Rugby season, especially with their final trial this Saturday night against an understrength Canterbury Crusaders.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...129-1a957.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I'd assume the Fiji team wasn't at full strength, but was it a bunch of no name juniors and geriatrics like the Tongans they played?

How close to competitive does this make the rebels?

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theforceguy View Post

However, the same could not be said for the Rebels, who were torn apart in a 10-minute stanza by the Fijians in the final quarter - the game was played in four 20-minute periods - conceding two tries in a worrying fade-out for coach Rod Macqueen, who used different squads for each half.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...129-1a957.html
    If you look at this comment then it looks as if the Rebels have the same problem that most new teams have and that is depth! It all goes OK for a while into the game but as soon as the replacements come on they start having trouble

vCash
    Im hoping mortlock still has enuff in his tank to have a blinder. Would love to see him suit up for one last rwc seeing as 13 is hardly a position we have much depth in apart from AAC and ioane. Horne is overated imho. He let way too many tackles slip for my liking in his position playing for the wallabies.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Bet 12 months ago he would have laughed you out of the room if you told him his next match would be in Ballarat!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.