Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mortlock Talks up the Rebels

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Mortlock Talks up the Rebels

Former Qantas Wallabies skipper Stirling Mortlock is excited about the competition that has surfaced for starting positions within the fledgling Melbourne Rebels Super Rugby side.

As the team continue preparations for their entry into the expanded 15-side tournament next February, the Test centre, who is on the comeback after back surgery, says competition is fierce at the new outfit.

He cited the intriguing battle for the halfback spot where another veteran Sam Cordingley is up against youngsters Richard Kingi, who is training the house down, and Nick Phipps, currently on tour with the Wallabies although yet to make his Test debut.

"The squad (coach Rod Macqueen) has assembled is extremely strong," Mortlock said at a Weary Dunlop rugby lunch in Melbourne.

"Usually in the team you have eight to 10 guys, maybe even 12, who you'd say they're in those positions and there's a few up for grabs.

"That's certainly not the case in this team, everywhere you look from the front-row, back-row, centres, there are a lot of guys who are putting up their hand and it's a great environment to be part of."

Mortlock is hoping to force his way back into consideration for the Rugby World Cup in New Zealand next year and said he should be back in full training in about a month.

"The back injury couldn't be better," the 31-year-old said.

"Every time the medical staff lift the intensity of what I'm doing its responded really well so I'm very, very happy."

Macqueen was also delighted with his side's progress, having just returned from a high-altitude training camp at Falls Creek.

"We're all very aware there's a long way to go but we're pretty happy with where we're at," Macqueen said.

The Rebels will get a true measure of their standing during their Super pre-season preparations, having lined up four trial matches, including three games against Tonga and Fiji, before squaring off against the Crusaders at AAMI Park on February 5.

They will face Tonga twice and Fiji once in January.

The Rebels will make their official competition debut against the Waratahs at AAMI Park on February 18.

Macqueen admitted the matches against the physical island sides were a risk.

"It's going to be the first time we play together as a team so we've got to be prepared to challenge ourselves," he said.

"I've got to say it is a risk for us because you can get injuries out of those sorts of games because they can be very tough, but at the same time if we want to be the best and test how high our standards are, that's the best way to do it."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    "Usually in the team you have eight to 10 guys, maybe even 12, who you'd say they're in those positions and there's a few up for grabs.

"That's certainly not the case in this team, everywhere you look from the front-row, back-row, centres, there are a lot of guys who are putting up their hand and it's a great environment to be part of."
    couldn't that mean that they're full of really average players and nobody's really standing out? I know at the force we've had strong competitions for some spots, but still been behind the competition in that position. Halfback would be a good example between losing henjak and... Well probably this year. Hooker would be the same last year, where www had really strong competition for the spot, but it was between two young blokes who had a hard time making the start and a converted prop, who was, frankly, a better prop.

vCash
    I would think that is the case GIGS.

vCash
    Hey they just beat Tonga 43 - 13.

vCash
    I went tonight and was impressed with how they went for the first game. The scrum was strong, they tackled well and they were constantly providing support to each other.

At times you could tell that it was the first hit out, dropped balls, knock on's etc (nerves I'm sure) but that will only improve over time. They also had about 8,000 turn up as well which was great for a trial match in AFL heartland. I can't wait for the crusaders game in a couple of weeks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    A crowd of 8,000 is proof that WA definitely should've got the Super 14 licence. We had 17,055 against the Cheetahs in 2006 and Melbourne is twice the size of Perth.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash

Last edited by TOCC; 16-01-11 at 01:04.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    A crowd of 8,000 is proof that WA definitely should've got the Super 14 licence. We had 17,055 against the Cheetahs in 2006 and Melbourne is twice the size of Perth.
    regardless, crowds of 8000 are pretty common spread around the comp, certainly see them in kiwiland.....and it wasw only a trial.

we don't need to keep hammering the 'Perth was the right decision' message, it's over.

Good to see the Rebels are going to get a crowd. I guess the litmus test will be whether they'll get a crowd when the team isn't winning, I can't imagine Melbourne crowds aren't any better at supporting a losing team than Perth crowds

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    we don't need to keep hammering the 'Perth was the right decision' message, it's over.
    Oh, I dunno, after a hundred years of "They really love their sport in Victoria" and Melbourne pinching myriad successful events from other states, I think there's a good few months in it left

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I cant find the article, but the Rebels CEO came out and said its there opinion that there are 16'000 devout rugby fans in Melbourne who will turn out most games, and then there is a extra 8'000 who are bordeline and will turn out to half the games.

The rest of the crowd will be made up of your 'general interest' type fan, like AFL fans coming for a one off match to check out whats going on etc.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Wouldn't more than half of the "devout fans" turn up to the first real chance to see their team play?
    That's assuming none of the borderline or general interest categories popped a head in...
    Using the same sort of increase between debut and round 1 from the Force experience the Rebels are on track for an <20k inaugural crowd.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Considering they have hardly advertised the trial games over here i thought the turn out last night was great. It will be interesting to see how many attend the next few trial games which are scheduled outside of Melbourne, next Friday in Morwell (Gippsland) against Tonga and the following weekend in Ballarat against Fiji.

We had a few AFL supporters sitting near us last night, they had no idea what was happening but good on them for turning up and realising that there are other sports in Melbourne aside from AFL!

There was also a few supporters from other club; tahs, brumbies, force (well just me) as well as plenty of English and Irish shirts and a few league supporters, who im sure will continue to attend the games to get their fix of rugby, I know that I will be.

vCash
    I would have gone, I needs me a fix of rugby.

Bring on Super rugby and bring it on soon.

vCash
    Comparing the two crowd figures of a trial game is a pointless exercise, there are to many varibles to consider like marketing campaign's etc.

Melbourne Rebels have held there marketing campaign back until this this week to maximize exposure, I reckon Harold Mitchell might know a thing or two about advertising

Crowd wise i expect they will average out with a mid 20k for the season, Rebels vs Crusaders trial game in Feb will be a big turnout as well.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    In reality, your expectations are probably as pointless as comparing the two crowd figures.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast