Poll: Who can Glen Ella choose for the 7's for the Commonwealth Games?

Thread: How should the commonwealth games team be made up?

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Question How should the commonwealth games team be made up?

Wayne Smith, The Australian
    Australia's sevens coach Glen Ella has announced his wish list of players for the Melbourne Commonwealth Games next March. Not surprisingly, he is targeting the most dangerous attacking players in the country.

Each professional team has been asked to release one player from round six of next year's inaugural Super 14 series. Ella has nominated three experienced Wallabies backs - Matt Giteau (Brumbies), Lote Tuqiri (Waratahs) and Chris Latham (Reds) - along with Western Force number eight Scott Fava.

The Reds have the bye that weekend. But with the Force hosting NSW on March 17, one of the feature games of the tournament looks set to be hard hit.

So, what do you think should happen ?
    1. I don't rate it - leave the Super14 alone
    2. Ella should only have access to fringe and HPU Contract players.
    3. Ella can take a maximum of one player from each team
    4. Sure, take on from each squad, but not those guys! (which ones ??)
    5. Ella can take whoever he wants
    6. What are the Commonwealth Games and who is this Ella bloke anyway??

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Darren; 19-10-05 at 10:58.
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I'd almost say NO BUGGER OFF! aint no way I'm gonna let you steal our players and have them play in bloody Victoria! But to be honest, even if it is only the commonwealth games, it's still reprasenting our country (on a much bigger scale than SANZA competitions) and you can't take that away from them.

I can also cop losing Fava given that nsw will be without tuquiri (even though it'll be a bit of a bummer not seeing them play at subi)

BUT - I think there should be a few wild card entries for nations not traditionally strong in rugby.

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    I don't see the harm, although I would tend not give him a starter, maybe one of the seven regular subs or even Brett Stapleton, who is one of the fastet blokes in Australian Rugby!!!!

Brother Gallagher I hear you

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Mixed thoughts on this one.
    What swayed my mind in the end was, truth be known, Australia needs to win something...anything!!! at the moment and especially as the hosts.
    Perhaps he should be allowed to pick three from each franchise and then the coach of each tells him which two he can have.
    It is only for one game/week anyway, S14 Squads should have the capacity to cover the loss of two players unless they are having a 2005 Reds season of injuries.
    I'd be keen to see the Australian Sevens team have a higher profile in the scheme of things, perhaps even as high as between Wallabies and Australia A. At the moment it is pretty much for young/fast club level players and future rep players.

Commonwealth Games - YAWN!!

It means nothing. I'd rather go and see the Mt Barker 10 aside tournament in Easter. No slurs intended to the boys and girls down south, I really would rather go to their tournament.

I can't remember the details off the top of my head but its over Easter and targeted at A and B Grade teams.

What a massive weekend.

Anybody from Albany or Mt Barker that can fill in the details?

... on the 6th day God played rugby and on the 7th day he rested, because he was sore and a little hungover.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Mt Barker

Ian Preece
    President
    Phone:9851 1150 or 0411 798 229
    Email: ipr62975@bigpond.net.au

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Further developments towards the Commonwealth Games with the IRB 7s Australian Squad announced today. Any of the NSW creew got any info on the players?

Ella announces Australian Sevens team for Dubai and George
    November 15, 2005 - 1:56pm
    Story by: ARU

Australian Sevens coach Glen Ella has announced the 12-man team to play in the first two IRB Sevens tournaments in Dubai and George in December, although the team will lose its captain for the second tournament.
    Ella has confirmed Shawn Mackay as the captain for the Dubai Sevens, but the big flanker will miss the George Sevens in South Africa so that he can return to Australia to act as best man at Wallaby Morgan Turinui's wedding.
    Mackay and Turinui have known each other since they were five years old, having attended primary school together and played junior Rugby together at the Clovelly Eagles.
    Debutant Matthew Bell from Gordon will take Mackay's place in the team in George while six more players will make their Australia Sevens debut at the Dubai Sevens.
    Mark Gilbride, Viliama Ratu, Vinnie Byrne, Michael Black, Naibuka Tuiloa and Luke Milton will all wear the gold jersey for the first time at the Dubai Sevens.
    Of these six players, Warringah scrumhalf Vinnie Byrne is the only player who did not play at the Singapore Cricket Club Sevens earlier this month.
    Ella has also selected several players who played in the majority of the 2004/05 series, a luxury he didn't have last year.
    "We will be blooding six new players in Dubai, but we also have six players returning from last season who have a total of 44 IRB Sevens tournaments under their belts," Ella said.
    "This time last year we announced a team for the Dubai tournament that included nine debutants and a total of 11 caps among the other three players, so we definitely have more experience in this year's squad."
    "It will be important for our new players to get up to speed as quickly as possible. The pace and pressure of international Sevens can take some players by surprise, so I will be looking for the new guys to adapt quickly."

Key dates
    23 November Assemble in Sydney
    28 November Depart for Dubai
    1-2 December Dubai Sevens
    9-10 December George Sevens

Australian Sevens team for 2005 Dubai and George Sevens

No First name Surname Club State Home town/suburb IRB Sevens tournaments

1* Shawn Mackay (c) Randwick NSW Kensington 8

2 Luke Inman Sydney Uni NSW Yowie Bay 13

3 Mark Gilbride Souths QLD East Brisbane Debut

4 Viliame Ratu Southern Districts NSW Heathcote Debut

5 Joshua Gamgee Gordon NSW Manly Vale 6

6 Vinnie Byrne Warringah NSW Forestville Debut

7 Michael Black Southern Districts NSW Gymea Debut

8 Naibuka Tuiloa Parramatta NSW Blacktown Debut

9 Luke Milton Southern Districts NSW Bangor Debut

10 Anthony Sauer Brothers QLD Stafford Heights 8

11 Nick Reily West Harbour NSW Bangor 6

12 Richie O'Connor West Harbour NSW Breakfast Point 3

1* Matthew Bell Gordon NSW Roseville Debut

* Shawn Mackay will play in the Dubai tournament but will be replaced by Matthew Bell for the George tournament