Thread: DVD to AVI Program

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash

DVD to AVI Program

Hello does any one currently use or can recommend a DVD to AVI Program. I want to take all my dvds and load them onto my PS3.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    This page gives instructions on how to convert to AVI with links to the free software.

http://www.jaybob.org/jaybob_02_2010_013.htm

I have used it and it worked well for me. It does take a while though.

vCash
    You can use something like DVDx, very easy to use and I think it's free to download

Have a look at this link
    http://www.labdv.com/dvdx/screenshots.php
    Click on input and output settings individual to see how it works
    Hope that's what you're after

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to ..........."

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I did a similar job for all of my DVDs (200+)

I ended up buying software online - as most of the free stuff inprints a watermark on the software or is limited by the file size etc.

I purchased ImToo DVD Ripper Platinum 5 it cost about $40 for online purchase.

If I can offer a suggestion - experiment bit with the file size - ratios you reduce your movies too - I did majority of mine at 700mb and now have a Full HD 42inch LCD TV and the reduced ratio is really obvious at times.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    I have a neat program at home ... cost me $50 but well worth it. I got a converter, which converts practically any video file to any other video file, plus it came with ripping software and some other software.

I forget what it is called though ... so sorry for wasting your time

LOLs jk I'll let you know when I get home!

"Believe in the best, think your best, study your best, have a goal for your best, never be satisfied with less than your best, try your best, and in the long run things will turn out for the best."

Veteran
    vCash
    i ahve a 42in LCD and preffer the lower quality, for some reason, the high res ones (even TV) looksl ike it has a fake feel to it, feels like really bad production quality. the lower res helps with that, and it isn't like they are that bad any way (the 700mb ones).

though, you may as well set a resolution and get what ever size it produces.

vCash
    I have a 50in plasma in my bedroom ... and have had no problems with the lower resolution ones :p and they are faster to download ... um I mean backup. I've watched few high def movies on it but cant really tell the difference!

But I know what you mean Palitu ... those tvs suck :p lol it looks like someone has just filmed it with a regular video camera ... given though the lighting is okay and the camera is steady but ... yeah ... I can't get into shows/movies on those types of tvs! makes me shudder just thinking about it! :p

"Believe in the best, think your best, study your best, have a goal for your best, never be satisfied with less than your best, try your best, and in the long run things will turn out for the best."

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OzFUB View Post
    This page gives instructions on how to convert to AVI with links to the free software.

http://www.jaybob.org/jaybob_02_2010_013.htm

I have used it and it worked well for me. It does take a while though.
    Tried and failed to work with the disk i was backing up. Kept on coming up with an error and wouldnt rip the disk.

Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    I did a similar job for all of my DVDs (200+)

I ended up buying software online - as most of the free stuff inprints a watermark on the software or is limited by the file size etc.

I purchased ImToo DVD Ripper Platinum 5 it cost about $40 for online purchase.

If I can offer a suggestion - experiment bit with the file size - ratios you reduce your movies too - I did majority of mine at 700mb and now have a Full HD 42inch LCD TV and the reduced ratio is really obvious at times.
    I am cheap so trying to get away with a freebie, this is not working out though so may have to fork out the coin. see what Lonzy comes back with.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Any dirt or scratches can stuff you the rip. You need to make sure the DVD is very clean.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    i ahve a 42in LCD and preffer the lower quality, for some reason, the high res ones (even TV) looksl ike it has a fake feel to it, feels like really bad production quality. the lower res helps with that, and it isn't like they are that bad any way (the 700mb ones).

though, you may as well set a resolution and get what ever size it produces.
    You're right, the vision seems too 'clear and crisp', even older films.

vCash
    okay so the software I have is OJOsoft total video Converter 2.7.5.0412 (http://www.ojosoft.com)

You can download a trial version and see if it works before buying it, but it will only convert a tiny bit of the video. So far its been pretty good for me! I cant be bothered trying to fluff around with the freeware, way too much effort!

anywhos see how that goes!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post
    Hello does any one currently use or can recommend a DVD to AVI Program. I want to take all my dvds and load them onto my PS3.
    If you still looking for something I can email you a program that works really easy & good. It's called ImToo mpegencoder. It's not a trial version, so you can use all functions.
    If you're interrested just pm me your personal email

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to ..........."