Thread: SMITH MAKES SCORING START

vCash

SMITH MAKES SCORING START

Emirates Western Force marquee recruit David Smith made a positive impression in his debut outing for the club, scoring a try and showing a clean pair of heels to opposition defenders in the West Aussies opening trial win (40-24) against the Australian Barbarians in Sydney.

The former Hurricanes winger found himself out of his comfort zone on more than one front during the match with a host of new team mates around him and temperatures of more than 40C beating down. For someone more accustomed to the cold conditions of Wellington it was always going to be a tough day at the office however Smith showed his class to be one of the standout players at TG Milner Field.

“I’m feeling good, a bit tired from the heat, it’s too hot for me,” Smith said with a wry smile after the match.

“It was nice to get through the game without any knocks or anything to worry about. The heat was hard and everyone will look forward to a recovery day before we get back into training and prepare for a game on Thursday. Then it’ll be only another week before the regular season kicks off.”

Smith started on the right wing with fellow new recruit and speedster Alfie Mafi on the left while James O’Connor rounded out the outside backs at 15. The pace of the trio troubled the Barbarians defence from the outset as the Emirates Western Force score six tries, three in the opening 15 minutes.

“The boys have prepared a long time for this game, the pre-season training has set us up well in our fitness and we were all ready to get onto the field and play,” said Smith.

“I thought overall we looked pretty good out there. We have some areas where we’ll need to tidy up but this was only our first game together and we’ll get back into training this week and work on those areas that need addressing before the season kicks off.

“We have really good forwards who work hard to get the ball and set us up to be able to use some of the flair we have in the backs. It was nice to be on the end of some good passes today and to take advantage of the attacking channels that we were given.

“There are guys in the side that know how to find the try line. When we get the ball in our hands it is up to us to make the most of the opportunity and today I thought we did that and had a real crack,” he said.

In an encouraging preview to the season proper the interchange between the backs was impressive on occasion, one particular play involving Gene Fairbanks, O’Connor and Smith wowing the crowd with quick ball movement and slick skills.

The Emirates Western Force will remain in Sydney this week as they prepare for a final trial match against the Waratahs in Nowra on Thursday. The club will play its first Super Rugby match on Sunday 20, February against the Queensland Reds in Brisbane.

“I was a bit nervous being my first game with the Force and playing with a lot of guys for the first time,” Smith said.

“Today I was trying to get my communication with them and keep talking and figure out how everyone likes to play.

“I’m looking forward to getting out there again with a Force jersey on and show what we as a team can do this season,” said Smith.

More...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by travelling_gerry; 06-02-11 at 09:14.