Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Pre-Season Tournament. Is it just Tinkering with the Real Competition?

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash

The Pre-Season Tournament. Is it just Tinkering with the Real Competition?

I haven't heard much about the pre-season comp. so far.

On the information I got from the Southern Lions website, I trotted down to Success at 12.30 on Saturday to watch the games, only to find the place was locked down tighter than a drum, with a solitary jogger, and a bunch of cranes pecking at the grass in a desultory fashion, being the only signs of life to be seen.

Luckily all was not lost, as I was able to spend half an hour or so taking my infant granddaughter, who lives nearby, for a walk in her perambulator.

I was told later that they had decided to start at 4 or 5 pm. I hope they informed the players.

Anyway, the long and short of it is that there has been no information as to the results. Who won? What were the scores? Who played well? Who got sinbinned or injured?

Someone said at training tonight that Uni had a huge team, and one of their wingers caused Cottesloe some headaches. I also heard that Kalamunda looked pretty slick.

Someone else said that Southern Lions and Bunbury have pulled out, but again I have no idea if this is true or not. I wouldn't be surprised if they did, it would not be much fun being taken apart by the big boys, as I imagine is what happened. That's a lesson Joondalup learned a few years ago when they thought they were good enough, on the strength of a few fourth grade wins, to play first grade, and took on then cellar dwellers Wests in a warm up to a Force game. They were humiliated in front of thousands.

So, a report, anyone? Rick? You have your finger on the pulse, surely?

And after asking for information, I've just noticed that RugbyWA posted a write up on their site late this afternoon. Well done. Sounds like all the Premier grade teams had a good hit out.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by fulvio sammut; 22-02-11 at 22:39.

vCash

BANKWEST CUP UNDERWAY

FROM THE FRONT PAGE OF RUGBYWA posted on Monday afternoon

Club rugby made a welcome return to Perth on Saturday with the Bankwest Cup kicking off at the home grounds of the Southern Lions and Perth Bayswater.

Associates took on the Southern Lions in the only fixture to be played at Success Rugby Park and ran out victors 45-0.

On a balmy evening at Perth Bayswater there were three entertaining games played. In the opening clash Kalamunda had a telling victory over Curtin Uni 86 – 5 while in the battle of the Premier Grade clubs, Cottesloe and UWA played a no nonsense affair that was dominated by brutal defence. The Seagulls however were able to sustain a number of attacking waves to eventually win 14 – 5 over their bitter rivals.

In the final game of the evening, a very proud and defiant Bunbury side made Perth Bayswater earn every one of their points. Baysie showed some genuine flair to score some outstanding tries and eclipsed the brave Bunbury Barbarians 70 – 0.

The Bankwest Cup will continue next weekend with all 4 games being played at Pat O’Hara Reserve, Morley.

Saturday, February 26
    Field 1

4.00pm – Nedlands v UWA
    5.30pm – Associates v Kalamunda
    7.00pm – Perth Bayswater v Southern Lions

Field 2

5.00pm – Wanneroo v Cottesloe

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theforceguy View Post
    FROM THE FRONT PAGE OF RUGBYWA posted on Monday afternoonIn the final game of the evening, a very proud and defiant Bunbury side made Perth Bayswater earn every one of their points. Baysie showed some genuine flair to score some outstanding tries and eclipsed the brave Bunbury Barbarians 70 – 0
    Ouch, they made them earn almost a point a minute?

C'mon the

Veteran
    vCash
    The goats will be taking on the Baysies on sat as Southern Lions have pulled out. We are under no false pretences that we will win, however, it gives the boys a run, and helps with fitness etc.

From Kala's account, they weren't too happy with how they played, apparently, they tried some things that didn't come off and are kicking themselves because of it.

Also remember, that premiership side have been training for months, the goats played a little bit of touch before christmas, for those who wanted, and only started preseason a month ago. There is a big difference between the premiership sides in respect to preperation...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theforceguy View Post
    a very proud and defiant Bunbury side made Perth Bayswater earn every one of their points. Baysie showed some genuine flair to score some outstanding tries and eclipsed the brave Bunbury Barbarians 70 – 0
    Is the writer of this article from Bunbury?

I'd say they got flogged

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Is the writer of this article from Bunbury?

I'd say they got flogged
    you would expect it though, they are a 3rd/4th grade team playing against guys who have been training for 3 months...

Player
    vCash
    The goats will be taking on the Baysies on sat as Southern Lions have pulled out. We are under no false pretences that we will win, however, it gives the boys a run, and helps with fitness etc.

Hang on - We are talking about the Mighty Goats here. They are happy to Butt heads with anyone. I am sure that Yogi does not care who he hits and what grade they are currently playing.

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    you would expect it though, they are a 3rd/4th grade team playing against guys who have been training for 3 months...
    You third grade teams are pathetic, reverse the tables and train for three months while a prem team sits in the pub or whatever it is you dregs do in the offseason and you's would still get smoked. Best thing rugby WA could do with your clubs is scrap them and put the extra funding in to the big ten.

Oh and I also wanted my user name to be PUre Love Unleashed but it wouldn't fit....

Veteran
    vCash
    go eat a d!ck

Veteran
    vCash
    I prefer to play in a non-premieship side. There are less wankers.

vCash
    go eat a d!ck
    Thats a classy response

vCash
    Not every rugby player plays to become a professional. Some just play because they love it .......................... or cant give it or it's social aspects away.

----------------------------------

Rookie
    vCash
    go eat a d!ck
    I prefer to play in a non-premieship side. There are less wankers.
    I watched the game from afar last saturday and noticed most of curtins players looked like they came from very low socio economic backrgrounds and so I'm not the least bit surprised by these replies...

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Guru View Post
    Not every rugby player plays to become a professional. Some just play because they love it .......................... or cant give it or it's social aspects away.
    Thats wrong, every player begins playing wanting to become a professional, most just realise they have ZERO potential or are just plain lazy...

Veteran
    vCash
    LuvUnleashed
    Prospect

LuvUnleashed has no status.

vCash: 10000
    Praised 0 Times in 0 Posts
    LuvUnleashed ain't much yet

end of story

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast