NATHAN SHARPE, The West Australian
February 16, 2011, 8:00 am

While many have been watching the men in baggy whites, or coloured pyjamas for that matter, rolling the arm over in the field, the men at the Emirates Western Force have been hustling themselves into terrific shape.

I am very encouraged with the level of development of our squad. The new-look management has got the place humming.

The one common thing about pre-season is that every team works hard, always promising a lot, but words are easy to speak.

As Richard Graham says, the bird that crows the loudest gets shot first. Actions on the field are far more difficult than speaking them.

The pre-season efforts have been great, but the next step for this team is to play consistently abrasive rugby and show it is better than purely endeavour.

We have some serious firepower out wide with David Smith, Cam Shepherd, Nick Cummins, Alfie Mafi and James O'Connor. Selecting the full-back and wingers is a task all coaches would love to have.

There will be plenty of committed grunt up front. The back row boasts four Wallaby flankers - another headache for the coach, but a dilemma I'm sure he'll enjoy.

Last year's horrific injury crisis unearthed a few guys who excelled at Super Rugby and Test level. Case in point is Ben McCalman. The biggest regret I have about playing with Ben in his debut against South Africa was having my front teeth knocked out. I missed sharing a beer with him when he became Wallaby No.845.

The new format of the competition means teams will no longer be able to run out the same side each week as players will need to freshen up.

Travel fatigue will set in and competition within the team will help push players to new levels of performance.

When we play other Australian teams, excitement levels spike as you have fierce rivalries.

Once players cross that white line the competitive spirit kicks in, regardless of friend or foe.

The Stormers and Bulls will again be the tough teams from South Africa. I think the refreshed Lions with John Mitchell at the helm will surprise quite a few teams.

The Crusaders, with the addition of Israel Dagg and Sonny Bill Williams, will be the NZ strength.

In Australia, the Reds will be closely monitored and will not be underestimated by any opposition.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...for-new-start/