Emirates Western Force coach Richard Graham is confident his side’s preparations following a tough pre-season slog and believes they’ll be ready to fire come Sunday’s opening 2011 Super Rugby clash against the Reds in Brisbane.
The West Aussies have been labelled underdogs against a Queensland outfit widely tipped to feature near the top of the ladder this season, however Graham said he doesn’t buy into labels and the focus of the squad is squarely on what they can control.

"There’s enough good footballers in this team to know what we’re capable of, and, I don’t think the underdog status does anything for us," Graham said.

“All we can control is ourselves and I’m really happy with where we’re at and our preparation and I think we go in to the game on Sunday well prepared.”

While there are plenty of expectations on the Queenslanders this season following a resurgence in 2010, the Perth side are one of the big unknowns according to the experts. Internally thou Graham said everyone was comfortable with the way they’ve prepared and looking forward to kicking-off to the new campaign.

“I think for us it’s important to go about your business quietly and do your talking on the field,” he said.

“I would much prefer to under promise and over deliver than be out talking about ourselves.”

While the club was cut down by an injury in 2010, Graham and his coaching staff will have a near full strength squad to select from, including skipper Nathan Sharpe who trained strongly today and is in line to return from a hernia operation that has kept him out for the past month.

“He’s fit and ready to go,” Graham said.

“He’s trained all week with us and he’ll be 100% come match time on Sunday.

“Modern science allows keyhole surgery and he’s recovered well from it, I’ve got no doubt there’s a little bit of discomfort but he’s 100% fit.”

New flyhalf Willie Ripia didn’t train after picking up a niggling foot injury in the first trial match a week and a half ago but should be back on the park later in the week and pushing to make his debut for the club on Sunday.

“I don’t see a need to rush him,” said Graham.

“He’s trained with us all preseason, he played the first 60 minutes of the trials and he’s in a good headspace.

“Someone stepped on him… our expectation is that he will be fit and at this stage he’s the only worry.”

The squad’s clean bill of health is encouraging and Graham believes having your strongest side on the field consistently is a precursor to success.

“The correlation between those sides that win and the number of players used is significant,” he said.

“For us to go in with our best 22 players and after a good preseason leaves us in a pretty good position.”

RugbyWA