Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BANKWEST CUP HEATS UP

vCash

BANKWEST CUP HEATS UP

Round two of the Bankwest Cup last Saturday afternoon drew together plenty of enticing match-ups but it wasn’t just tricky opposition that players had to contend with as hot and humid weather greeted competitors at Pat O'Hara Reserve in Morley.
    The draining weather though didn’t dampen the enthusiasm of the players as everyone looked to give their new season campaign a kick in the right direction.

A solid crowd saw Nedlands and UWA kick off a great evening of rugby, Neddies, last season’s KWIK Premier Grade champions, were strong early, however the Students showed tremendous patience and better fitness to wear down their more fancied rivals.

It was a physical contest with each side working hard on the ball, however UWA were able to find some holes on the fringes of Neddies defence to win the game 19 – 12.

Game two saw last year’s KWIK Premier Grade runners-up Cottesloe take on Wanneroo and both sides showed they will be strong contenders this year with several line breaks being made through their respective back lines. In the end it was the Roo Dogs physicality saw them get the better of Cott and progress to the next stage of the Bankwest Cup tournament with a 21 – 12 victory.

The third match of the evening proved extremely entertaining with the flamboyant Kalamunda refusing to allow the heat stifle their flare. The Bulls used the full width of the field to launch wave after wave of attack which initially troubled Associates. However, like the well drilled that they are, Soaks were able to adjust their defence accordingly and ultimately won the battle of the breakdown to run out deserving winners 24 – 17.

In the final game hosts Perth-Bayswater displayed an outstanding desire in defence against the much improved Curtin. The Goats midfield showed plenty of speed and attacked off a solid platform that was laid by their strong carrying backrow, however the Baysie boys refused to let their line be crossed. Curtin were gallant in defeat but Perth-Bayswater finished strongly to record a 24 – 0 win.

With a dozen Emirates Western Force players lining up for their respective local clubs Head Coach Richard Graham was on hand and was particularly impressed with the standard displayed across the board so early in the season.

“It is important that all the Emirates Western Force staff and players contribute to club rugby. There was a wonderful feeling amongst the crowd and all our players and staff thoroughly enjoyed the evening,” Graham said.

“Ultimately we have all come from club rugby, and the grass roots of our game and the people involved in our clubs are an essential part of the fabric of rugby in Western Australia.

“For the Emirates Western Force contracted players it was an opportunity to get some good match practise into them over the Super Rugby bye weekend and we were able to achieve a lot out of the day,” said Graham.

The Bankwest Cup continues next week with a Grand Final berth up for grabs. Perth-Bayswater will kindly host the fixtures again which will see Wanneroo and UWA do battle in the first semi followed by Perth-Bayswater up against Associates.

Bankwest Cup – Semi-Finals
    Friday, 4 March at Pat O'Hara Reserve in Morley

6.45pm – Wanneroo v UWA
    8.15pm – Perth-Bayswater v Associates

RugbyWA

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Silk purse, sow's ear comes to mind in respect of the Perth Curtin game.

Perth should have won by 60 -70 points if they seriously want to consider remaining in premier division.

vCash
    isnt that a bit arrogant FS?
    Every club has its lean years where their top team become the whipping boys ..

however I can attest that the club is run very well and has superb participation at junior level for there to be every justification for them to continue to play at the top level.. this isnt EPL where the bottom team every year drops to a lower division..that system just wouldnt work in a city where Rugby is a second/third/fourth tier sport...

vCash
    rugby should not be played this early in the year in club land! the weather just does not permit it in Perth. It is dangerous for players both as burnout factor (very long season) and a burnup factor! no matter how hydrated a player may be heat exaustion is a major factor!
    Thats my 2 cents!

Champion
    vCash
    Congrats to Baysie, putting on fine fields and a good venue.

Fulvio, do you see eny positives - even miniscule - out of the comp.? Have you got some alternate initiatives that you're playing close to your chest and don't want to share.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansie View Post
    Congrats to Baysie, putting on fine fields and a good venue.

Fulvio, do you see eny positives - even miniscule - out of the comp.? Have you got some alternate initiatives that you're playing close to your chest and don't want to share.
    He's banking everything he's got on the booze ban.

Apparently he's trying to get some highly valuable mormon internationals.

C'mon the

vCash
    How long have you been into conspiracy theories, Hansie?

I have never expressed any opinion whatsoever about the pre season cup as far as I can recall, and if it's any consolation , on the whole, apart from the heat at this time of year, it's probably a good idea in principle.

I did have concerns about 3rd and 4th grade clubs playing against 1st grade, but after the results of Perth playing Curtin, I was clearly wrong.

Veteran
    vCash
    FS, it is just a pre-season cup... it doesn't mean anything apart from blowing the cobwebs out.

What is wrong with non-premiership sides having a run? They aren't going to hurt you players, and you should look at it as an opportunity to put together you more complex set moves to see how they come off and whether your prepared enough to play them.

From what i have heard from Kala (vie grapevine) they were a bit disappointed at some of their moves not coming off, or not being as effective as they hoped.

pre-season-means-nothing-competition... why limit it to the clubs with all the money.

vCash
    I've already conceded that point, Palitu.
    I was more worried about the lower grade teams getting hurt, but your guys did well. Congratulations.

Veteran
    vCash
    heh, well, in your defence, Southern Lions and bunbury pulled out...

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesBrown View Post
    rugby should not be played this early in the year in club land! the weather just does not permit it in Perth. It is dangerous for players both as burnout factor (very long season) and a burnup factor! no matter how hydrated a player may be heat exaustion is a major factor!
    Thats my 2 cents!
    Hard day running the water bottles was it? LOL

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    Silk purse, sow's ear comes to mind in respect of the Perth Curtin game.

Perth should have won by 60 -70 points if they seriously want to consider remaining in premier division.
    Says someone that does not even have a team in the pre-season competition.

I think that in future RugbyWA should make it compulsory to for all first grade clubs to compete in these types competitions.
    Everyone is always complaining about local rugby, the quality of it and the lack of initiative, Always bagging RugbyWA and then we get a sponsor for a pre season tournament and what happens ?? a couple of clubs see them selfs bigger than the rest of the WA competition and deside not to play

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Bit of a trek for the Rocko boys on a Friday evening for a 6:45pm kick off

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    No, at least one club did not have sufficient notice of the competition, or somebody got their wires crossed.

RugbyWA say they sent out advice about the competition late last year but no one at Palmyra says they had any contact about it, and so far no one from RugbyWA has said who in fact they claim to have contacted.

Palmyra says the first they knew about it was reading about it in the media in late January, and by that stage it was too late to change their arrangements and players arrangements to accomodate it.

Bankwest is a club sponsor, for Christ's sake!

I don't mind a bit of argy bargy, but don't spout bullshit when you don't know what you are talking about.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    No, at least one club did not have sufficient notice of the competition, or somebody got their wires crossed.

RugbyWA say they sent out advice about the competition late last year but no one at Palmyra says they had any contact about it, and so far no one from RugbyWA has said who in fact they claim to have contacted.

Palmyra says the first they knew about it was reading about it in the media in late January, and by that stage it was too late to change their arrangements and players arrangements to accomodate it.

Bankwest is a club sponsor, for Christ's sake!

I don't mind a bit of argy bargy, but don't spout bullshit when you don't know what you are talking about.
    At least I got you to bite Mate

I heard from a Palmyra source that it was decided by the club commitee that it will be in players best interest not to participate in a "watered down" pre season competition

And if I was a club sponsor I would have expected all sponsored clubs to attend

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast