Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: When will it stop?

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

When will it stop?

To my dismay last night I actually heard Rod Kafer make a sensible comment on The Rugby Club.

He thought the idea of scrapping the red/yellow card system and replacing it with a reporting and tribunal system similar to the AFL and some other sports.

It would mean that the penalties may have to be fairly harsh, but I personally think it would be better than being penalised once by the red card and then again by suspension, there is always even competition on the field and they can then look at ALL the facts relating to the case rather than a pressured decision on the field.

Discuss...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Retiring players could have a field day last game of the season ...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    I think the card system is appropriate. But that said. It's sometimes a flawed system. The TMO should be involved. But for all cases? I'm not sure. Not sure there is a simple answer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    I back the card system. When the defending #7 is being a pest inside his own 22, the best solution is to get rid of him for 10 minutes. Rather than simply report him.

The reporting system has its merits. We could possibly take some aspects of it to improve our current system. Like in Rugby League the refs can report something on the spot as a kind of 'warning'.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Discuss...
    First reaction, as a wielder of said cards and having seen the use, and the threat of use, of them:

The sin bin (or threat thereof) can be a significantly useful tool to transform a game where players' compliance with the laws diminishes. I have seen many a game where the (effective) captain has exerted his (yes, only his; women's games I have watched have not had these issues) authority upon his playing group to tone down certain behaviours, thus allowing for a better spectacle of free-flowing rugby with way lower penatly counts that might otherwise have been the case.

If there is no opportunity for a player to be removed from the field, either temporarily or permanently, during a game, but only the potential for suspension for forthcoming fixtures, the miscreant could play havoc during the current game, knowing he will be able to play the full game. Why would we want that?

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    card system is fantastic - AFL should bring in the yellow and red cards - i've said that for years!!

Once again I think Kafe's comments are poo!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Champion
    vCash
    Why can we not use video review on Red Cards and also the last passage of play leading up to a try being scored? These are critical and game changing events that could mean a coach losing his job, a team missing out on millions or a team picking up millions.

AFL system is crap, soccer system crappier, USA NFL system throwing yellow snotrags even worse. Let's use technology and make outcomes fairer. Too many tries scored with a knock-on, or forward pass, player held back etc etc in last passage of play. Too many Red Cards should have been Yellow.

Veteran
    vCash
    Hansie, can be a bit hard to pick up a forward pass on the video...

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    TMO being refered to for Red Cards would be a good idea.

The card system is fine so long as its consistent. If someone from a different team is red carded for a tackle equal to that of Sidey, that'll be great. What is frustrating is that this probably won't happen.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Once again James, you have been the source of me lamenting the lack of a multipraise

C'mon the

vCash
    The non-use of video replays is one of my two big bugbears with the modern game. The other is the constant tinkering with the breakdown laws. I can't believe they are having yet another go in a world cup year - if the info on the Rugby Club was correct.

The Brumbies attitude after half time today was pathetic and they deserved the thumping they got. But I often wonder how a team's attitude would have been had they not had a few diabolical decisions go against them at crucial times. The yellow card Giteau copped today was ridiculous. They were very hard done by in quite a few other decisions in the first half while the Crusaders could apparently do no wrong. That card would most likely not have been given if it had an instant review.

I'm at work ATM and only followed the Rebels match on Planet Rugby text. Was the yellow issued with 20 mins to go warranted??

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I'm watching it on iq now, I'll tell you in an hour

C'mon the

vCash
    I thought the yellow on tuna was pretty fair. You'll get some navy blue bloods who wonder how the sharks were allowed to take two quick taps and pinch like 30 meters without the ref stopping things and issuing a warning (since that's typically the way that goes) but Vuna didn't have any right to argue.

The redding all around though was pretty fair in that match, actually the best I've seen so far this season (I've really only watched the matches with Aussie teams) so I'd expect to agree with the yellow. Maybe it was all about me not being fussed who won.

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Back to the original question, I can see merit in the reporting being added to the tool box, not instead of.
    So you would have a system of:

Level 1-Free Kick
    Level 2a-Penalty
    Level 2b- Penalty Try. 10m advance.
    Level 3- Yellow, 10 minutes.
    Level 4- Yellow and Report, 10 minutes and judiciary. For technical issues, spears without malice etc.
    Level 5a- Red. Result of 2 x Yellow.
    Level 5b- Red. Remainder of match and harsh judiciary if guilty. For fighting, dirty play, gouging etc.

Perhaps puts more pressure on the Ref to be judge and jury, but at least they aren't executioner.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    You could also have a level where any penalty is reported, ie, the ref saw a high tackle and penalizes, but (without the aid of a replay) isn't sure whether it was malicious or accidental, I'll put that on report and let the video evidence sort it out. If that was the case, possibly the judiciary could have a wider set of sanctions, including starting the next match on the bench for ten minutes and fines.

It would add to the flexibility which the ref can sanction without weakening the existing set of sanctions.

In reality though, the report wouldn't change anything much, surely the judiciary reviews every match anyway, and makes decisions about which transgressions they deal with. Apparently WWE moves aren't on that list.

BTW did anybody see Du Plessi's elbow drop on one of the Rebels backs last night?

C'mon the

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast