Thread: Super pupil tackles master

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Super pupil tackles master

NICK TAYLOR, The West Australian
    March 12, 2011, 10:22 am

The pupil will be out to show his old master that he taught him well when two of Super Rugby's most exhilarating wingers come face to face at nib Stadium tonight.

Western Force flyer David Smith is hoping to show All Blacks 67-Test veteran Joe Rokocoko a clean pair of heels in the fourth-round clash.

Rokocoko was firmly established at the Blues when the Samoan-born Smith joined the Auckland club six years ago.

"Joe and I have always been good mates and I learnt a lot from him when I first went into the Auckland side," Smith said.

"I played alongside him, he taught me well. Now is the time to show him what I learnt.

"He's a really good bloke but when it comes to the game I will only worry about my game."

While the NZ Sevens star will be wanting more ball in space to showcase his blistering pace and dancing feet than he was given in last weekend's loss to the Sharks, he has vowed to go hunting for possession.

"I want to get the ball in my hand," he said. "For me as a winger I'm not going to sit around doing nothing. I'm going to come in and work hard, look for that ball and have a crack.

"I get excited when I've got the ball and I love running."

Smith, the Force marquee signing who made seven Super appearances for the Blues before switching to the Hurricanes, is well aware of how dangerous the Aucklanders' back line can be.

"They've got a good back line, (Isaia) Toeava, Rokocoko, (Rene) Ranger and others but we've got the back line to match and we're going to play our game," he said.

Force coach Richard Graham knows discipline is a key to his side's first 2011 win.

"We need to be mindful of the Blues runners and be strong in our one-on-one defence," he said.

"They certainly have a strong squad. They philosophically play a very attacking game and have done so in the opening weeks."

The Blues have been inconsistent in past seasons but have won two of their last three games. Wins over the Crusaders in round one and the Lions last weekend sandwiched a loss to the Sharks.

Coach Pat Lam has been able to relegate two All Blacks, prop John Afoa and scrum-half Alby Mathewson, to the bench and bring in big names like Keven Mealamu, Anthony Boric, Daniel Braid and Ranger off the bench and back into the starting line-up.

Lam said travel and fatigue were a factor behind his player rotation.

"You have to give players the opportunity to freshen up and it is not just about the game, it is also the load and contact at training," he said.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...ackles-master/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    That was a bit of a non event, Joe was ordinary.
    I get the impression he is trying to show Graham Henry that he isn't just a straight line running try machine as a desperate attempt for a RWC jersey.
    Don't bother Joe, stick to what you do best!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Did Joe turn up?.... He had about 3 touches and 3 runs, the funny thing was, the kiwi supporters sitting beside us ( you know the ones, this game they had a blues jersey on, the next time we play a NZ team they'll turn up with their all blacks jersey on, and fully expect to win, know fk all about the game, and think the world cup is already theirs!) only knew roko out of the whole side, boy did they get excited when he got his hands on the ball......

vCash
    ...couldn't have been a very exiting night for them then.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by normie View Post
    ...couldn't have been a very exiting night for them then.
    it was funny to listen to them!....

vCash
    That's like the chiefs game at home last year, Stephen donald started on the bench for some reason, and when he hit the field at about 50-55 steped up pretty quickly to take a penalty shot, some of THOSE sheep shaggers in front of me were heard to congratulate him, then ask who he was. IT WAS STEPHEN FREAKING DONALD!!!

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Apparently in NZ the locals are fairly disparaging towards Donald I heard last night.
    "Donald Duck" I believe was the nickname.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Apparently in NZ the locals are fairly disparaging towards Donald I heard last night.
    Rhyming slang?

vCash
    Well done Smithy..exciting to watch..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    That might be the case, but if you know anything about the chiefs, you can recognize Stephen Donald when his name's written on his back!

C'mon the