Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: No top-up for Nathan Sharpe as ARU snubs one of our best

vCash
    Rationally, the shelf life of a pro top-level rugby player expires when they hit about 32-34 yrs, anything beyond that is a bonus. On that alone, from my point of view, the cold hard decision has to be and has been made. No doubt there will be a significant few who would have loved to give (award) Sharpie the top-up but really, and in looking to the future, there are, and will be, younger players who the Wallabies will need to retain/attract and develop in time for 2015 and 2019.

Furthermore, and to be fair to the ARU, Sharpie previously suggested he was looking at retirement sometime after the World Cup (or intimated that he was not sure what his plans were beyond 2011). I doubt anyone, bar Sharpie, would like to work with a year-to-year contract negotiation process.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    Rationally, the shelf life of a pro top-level rugby player expires when they hit about 32-34 yrs, anything beyond that is a bonus. On that alone, from my point of view, the cold hard decision has to be and has been made. No doubt there will be a significant few who would have loved to give (award) Sharpie the top-up but really
    I'd question this when the top 3, 2nd rowers in the world are over the age of 34.
    Brad Thorn = 36
    Victor Matfield = 34
    Nathan Sharpe = 34

And are all from the trophy holding nations.

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    Rationally, the shelf life of a pro top-level rugby player expires when they hit about 32-34 yrs, anything beyond that is a bonus. On that alone, from my point of view, the cold hard decision has to be and has been made. No doubt there will be a significant few who would have loved to give (award) Sharpie the top-up but really, and in looking to the future, there are, and will be, younger players who the Wallabies will need to retain/attract and develop in time for 2015 and 2019.

Furthermore, and to be fair to the ARU, Sharpie previously suggested he was looking at retirement sometime after the World Cup (or intimated that he was not sure what his plans were beyond 2011). I doubt anyone, bar Sharpie, would like to work with a year-to-year contract negotiation process.
    Fair go mate -- contractors who work in "real" jobs are routinely on 3-6 month contracts, and never do they get rewarded for long service to one employer.

Loyalty should and can be shown by the Force though, by getting their sponsors to help him out a bit more for his efforts in promoting the game in WA.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    I'd question this when the top 3, 2nd rowers in the world are over the age of 34.
    Brad Thorn = 36
    Victor Matfield = 34
    Nathan Sharpe = 34

And are all from the trophy holding nations.
    I'm discounting any of that. My response is based on whether I think Sharpie will be there for the long(ish) haul - next world cup - or whether the ARU needs to focus on other players..

Quote Originally Posted by AC2089 View Post
    Fair go mate -- contractors who work in "real" jobs are routinely on 3-6 month contracts, and never do they get rewarded for long service to one employer.

Loyalty should and can be shown by the Force though, by getting their sponsors to help him out a bit more for his efforts in promoting the game in WA.
    This is not a Force issue..rather an ARU policy decision.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    It was ok for the ARU to hang on to George Gregan for 4 years longer then he was useful for. Sharpie is playing the best football of his career and deserves every single $ he can get his hands on.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    You can argue economics all you want, at some point people have to realize that not everything in rugby circles follows sound financial practice. The point I alluded to earlier would be pertinent. If he's on a performance based contract, he'd probably earn more at the end of the day when (not if) he remains our number one pick and plays every match.

I understand the idea of tapering for the world cup, I also accept (begrudgingly) that sharpie will unfortunately not make another four years......but he will be vital to ensuring the development of the next generation of international locks, as he has been doing at the force (the fruit has been a while in the making, but wykesey is certainly showing it now) for that reason alone, he deserves the top up and the place in a wider training group, regardless of whether he takes the field or not!

C'mon the

vCash
    The fact that Sharpie has decided to not take the easy path to European riches and opted to stay and develop the next generation of Australian players is worthy enough in my books for him to get a top up. Both on the field and off, he leads by example.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I doubt Sharpie was looking at 2015, but he might have been thinking about the Lions in 2013. Problem always comes back to opportunity though - we have young locks in Super rugby, but no way to test them at the next level other than give them cheap caps at the expense of someone else. Ah, for the days where there was a reserve team that used to give players somewhere to develop against teams like the Islanders, the Maori and even a few of those European bods...

vCash
    Shit, that's a good idea Andy! Have you got some sort of a format for this imaginary competition of which you speak?

C'mon the

Rookie
    vCash
    Decent player but need to look to the future. He will still make a killing if he plays for the wallabies. What is it now bout $15000 a game. Just make him hungrier.

Prospect
    vCash
    Other than being one of the best lineout players in the business - what else does he offer - same old take it up and go to ground and achieve - not a lot - boring not the way - must off load - I for one am not surprised -

Champion
    vCash
    AND THEY WOUNDER WHY PLAYERs are LEAVING OUR SHORES.. i hope Giteau has been treated the same. O Neill needs his f ken head read.... Sharpie for CEO of ARU any seconders!!!!

vCash
    F#*k no, if he's CEO of ARU, he can't be coach of Western Force!

C'mon the

vCash
    It stinks. No, more than stinks. It reeks.

The rot needs to be found and cut out.

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    The rot is directly related to the influence of the bean counters!

C'mon the

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast