Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: It's Getting Warm in the Kitchen - Except for Neddies.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash

It's Getting Warm in the Kitchen - Except for Neddies.

Three rounds have been played so far, a total of 15 games. Of those, 12 have been lost by a margin of 12 points or less (ok, I might be slightly out on that, I'm going on memory, but it's pretty close) and three have been won by more than 12 points, two of those by Nedlands, the only undefeated team.

I must say that the ladder as it stands at the moment is (apart from Neddies) is a complete inversion of what I and most of the aficionados I spoke to anticipated.

But is that really where they'll all be at the end of round nine?

Other than to be certain that Nedlands will be in the mix, it will take a brave man to make a prediction. Neddies have taken apart Cottesloe and Associates and that counts for something, but what about the rest?

Let's analyse.

Associates and Cottesloe. Both clubs rely heavily on their Force and Academy players, but for how long can they? Cott have pissed off a lot of regular past first grade players (about 4 or more to Nedlands alone) because of selection policies. Soaks have been less crass in that department, but have little to show for their recruiting efforts since last season and have lost a star in Zac Holmes. Soaks reserves are in seventh place. How long can either club be competitive when the Force heroes run to the Eastern States once the Super 15s season is over and they are offered $500 or more a game to play there, tax free? What depth and loyalty will they have to rely on?

Wests, Wanneroo and Rockingham. No depth. A few injuries and they are cactus. Their reserves have yet to win a game and languish equally at the bottom of the table. Wests won against Palmyra by a few points only because a bank of lights failed with 10 minutes of the game left, Palmyra having just scored two tries in five minutes and being five metres from the line with the ball in hand. Good luck with that, but don't count on it happening again in our lifetime.

Perth and Kalamunda. Something in the water there. No name recruits, no numbers, yet they have both their firsts and reserves well at the top of their tables. Kala lost to Perth and Perth lost to Wanneroo. There is little logic that can be applied. Maybe just lucky. Maybe great combinations. But great to see, and let's hope it lasts.

University and Palmyra. Pally lost to Wests and Soaks. Uni lost to Nedlands and Kala.
    Despite their bottom half of the ladder positions (Pally second last), they have shown some mettle, Uni being competitive against Nedlands, and Palmyra having a tad of bad luck along the way. Pally have good depth in their seconds (currently top of the ladder in that grade), and if it comes down to a matter of player attrition, they may hold a slight advantage over most others.

So the assessment has to be - it's still wide open, and we'll see quite a few close games yet. We haven't reached the stage that the standard of refereeing has become a critical factor, but no doubt we will.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Do these guys get cash or is it legitimate earnings from the Sydney clubs?

I wonder if the tax dept knows about it.

A good mate of mine works at the tax dept; I might tip him off to investigate the Cott players who head East. Nothing like a good tax audit to get the cat amongst the pidgeons!

Last edited by RumourMonger; 17-04-11 at 21:22.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RumourMonger View Post
    Do these guys get cash or is it legitimate earnings from the Sydney clubs?

I wonder if the tax dept knows about it.

A good of mine works at the tax dept; I might tip him off to investigate the Cott players who head East. Nothing like a good tax audit to get the cat amongst the pidgeons!
    tipping off someone to the tax Dept is totally unaustralian
    but maybe this is your calling

vCash
    That's pathetic, Rumours.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    tipping off someone to the tax Dept is totally unaustralian
    but maybe this is your calling
    Calling something unaustralian is ... unaustralian.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    it's unaustralian to call someone out for using the term unaustralian in relation to unaustralian activities ...

Now, back to the kitchen where you'll always find Fulvio, especially if there's a party on.

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Senior Player
    vCash
    I wouldn't have known about it until you told the world about it Fulvio!

What else do these guys get when they go East?

Is $500 a game the going rate or is that a number you pulled out of the air?

vCash
    Why don't you ask them for yourself?

You'll find them at every club except Palmyra and Rockingham until - oh, about late May.

vCash
    Wanneroos reserves have been unlucky, losing by only a few points. I think Wanneroo will do well in the premier grade this year. But yeah not a whole heap of depth. I think Soaks will struggle this year. Size isn't everything (as my wife often says), but I thought Soaks looked quite small, especially in the backs. They'll struggle against some of the bigger teams. I think Rocky, Paly, Wests & UWA will also struggle. Nedlands look too strong. We may be in for a dull season...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RumourMonger View Post
    What else do these guys get when they go East?
    crabs...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Neddies have set up quite a nice You Tube Channel - 'Nedlandsrufc' if you search it - lots of good action, well put together clips! Round by round - attacking and defensive tries, scrums and line-outs.

Rookie
    vCash
    Again results this weekend reflect this could be a tightly contested year, probably aside from Nedlands.

Palmyra 19 v UWA 14
    Cottesloe 30 v Kalamunda 0
    Nedlands 29 v Wanneroo 13
    Wests Subiaco 18 v Perth Bayswater 33
    Associates 13 v Rockingham 27

vCash
    Has anyone else noticed an interesting pattern in the top 4 in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grades? (I mean the real 3rd grade).

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Neddies v wanneroo game much closer than score indicated,wanneroo lost a prop to the sin bin whilst trailling by a couple of points with 10 to go,allowing neddies to score a couple of late tries

vCash
    Rockingham played at about 60% and accounted for Soaks so hopefully they are building as a competitive team. 4th's beat Soaks 19-5 and Reserve Grade ended farcically with the ref choosing not to play the kickable penalty to Rocky and instead blowing the full time whistle. Soaks 16-14

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast